Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 354481 times)

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1770 on: May 15, 2021, 11:22:13 PM »
Edit: Point is, ships have the option of having many guns using one active sensor and one fire control. There are advantages and disadvantages for doing this on a ship. I do not understand why STOs do not have the same choice.

What is a quad turret STO but four guns slaved to one FC? Dude.

Brilliant observation... Can I put multiple quad gauss turrets under one FC like I can on a ship?

Way to miss the point.

Four guns on one FC that you never have to pay minerals to maintain isn't good enough for you?

Whatever dude.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1771 on: May 16, 2021, 03:06:37 AM »
Re Ground Unit STO's

I have designed a basic static 20cm Plasma Carronade ground unit and also another STO unit with the PDW box ticked.

Please could someone advise :-

a) what Damage 10/1 represents in the detail box.

b) an example of how I should incorporate the STO 's into my Ground Units . Do they remain on their own as independent units or have they to be incorporated into a unit with HQ's etc ?

How do others use them - if at all ?

David R

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #1772 on: May 16, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Re Ground Unit STO's

I have designed a basic static 20cm Plasma Carronade ground unit and also another STO unit with the PDW box ticked.

Please could someone advise :-

a) what Damage 10/1 represents in the detail box.

b) an example of how I should incorporate the STO 's into my Ground Units . Do they remain on their own as independent units or have they to be incorporated into a unit with HQ's etc ?

How do others use them - if at all ?

David R

I try to organize my STOs into "battalions" of around 25,000 tons (since I tend to make my first few utility transports, bought with BP, that size, that I also use to move around geosurvey and xenosurvey teams.) I typically mix the guns up a bit; 1/3rd to 1/2 particle beams, so I can ensure standoff performance against enemies that might try to out-range me during bombardment, 1/4th or less lasers, since they gain incredible armor-piercing power as enemies close in (ideal for dropping troop-ships quickly) and sometimes some railguns if I'm using them that playthrough, as they also gain power quickly as range closes and beefs up the PD. I usually include at least two quad-turret gauss CIWS units, an HQ, and I pad out the tonnage count with a few construction vehicles. Even though the construction speed from that is minuscule at best, it's more than enough to eventually fortify every unit over the course of a few years. The idea is that I can move this battalion with just one troopship to a new high value colony and have their STO defenses set up properly just like that, then forget about it ever after.

In practice this doesn't work so well as a formation, because of build time. In my current game I threw together a proper formation template for an STO battalion and found it takes ten years to build! So I usually end up making small formation templates with small numbers of various guns, some bulldozers and an HQ, etc, and keep some or all of my ground build slots full when I have nothing better for them to do so a constant stream of STO guns is being churned out. Then I'll organize them into rough battalions using whatever I have on hand, as I need it, then ship them out to the frontier. HQ's are effectively mandatory for me so I can attach smaller STO units/shift elements to them ad-hoc as I just described, but also so I can attach a construction battalion to them to quickly fortify them (which I do if I'm sending them to deal with a priority situation, such as an aggressive NPR contesting a system with me.) Commander bonuses don't hurt either, though I can never remember how the bonuses work for STOs, exactly, for the life of me.

I really need to come up with better doctrine for it; esp. as I often want to provide some STO cover for smaller colonies, civilian mining colonies, etc. So I'm also interested to see what replies you get.

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #1773 on: May 16, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
I do roughly the same as this.
Cant work out why STO's take so long to build when the same component builds in no time if its going into a ship.

v14+ request please :  It would be nice to be able to recycle older ship components when building STO's.   For both speed and saving minerals.

The following users thanked this post: serger, ISN

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1774 on: May 16, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
I'm sure this must be mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it, so: what do the Tactical and Fighter Combat bonuses do?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1775 on: May 16, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »
I'm sure this must be mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it, so: what do the Tactical and Fighter Combat bonuses do?

Not sure what fighter combat does but tactical improves the hit chance of weapons. Which is nice.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1776 on: May 16, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »
Cant work out why STO's take so long to build when the same component builds in no time if its going into a ship.

It's because they are built from GU training facilities, so use the same mechanics as other ground units but their cost is the same as the ship components built from factories or shipyards. Since GU training facilities have a fixed build rate per facility (starting at 200 BP/year, IIRC) and only one facility can train/build a formation at a time while factories can be assigned in any number, your build speed for STO formations is very limited especially at low tech levels. Case in point, that 200 BP per year is equivalent to 20 factories with initial TN techs, and as the player starts with 400 factories on a default start it is not difficult to build, say, a dozen lasers pretty quickly if you want to, while building a dozen STO lasers is limited to that 200 BP per year.

Generally the tip is just to build STOs in smaller formations (gather them together as needed to manage commander numbers, or just set their auto-assign rank to something prohibitively high and don't use any GU commanders for them), and accept that it will probably take about 2-3 years to build, say, 5,000 tons of STOs until you start teching up the build rate. Note that using static armor on STOs will double or triple the build cost, so...don't. Usually your fortification level will be sufficient defense against anything smaller than a determined battle fleet hell-bent on galactic destruction.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1777 on: May 16, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
v14+ request please :  It would be nice to be able to recycle older ship components when building STO's.   For both speed and saving minerals.

It has been suggested multiple times already for ground unit factories to use the same aggregate construction system that all other types of industry use (CON, FGT, ORD).

I think it is a good suggestion.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1778 on: May 16, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Fighter Operations was renamed Carrier Operations in 1.13.
This bonus will apply to the rate at which fuel, supplies and ordnance are transferred to parasites in the ship's hangar.
(source here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12035.msg144588#msg144588 )

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1779 on: May 16, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »
Quote from: Migi link=topic=11545. msg151639#msg151639 date=1621204878
Quote from: ISN link=topic=11545. msg151632#msg151632 date=1621200944
Fighter Operations was renamed Carrier Operations in 1. 13.
This bonus will apply to the rate at which fuel, supplies and ordnance are transferred to parasites in the ship's hangar.
(source here hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=12035. msg144588#msg144588 )

I'm aware, but Carrier Operations and Fighter Combat are different bonuses -- I have commanders with both.

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1780 on: May 16, 2021, 06:11:52 PM »
Fighter Combat bonus is a modifier for chance to hit while commanding fighters. Essentially it is tactical bonus for fighters. I think it is also applied at 100% of the commanding officer's bonus unlike other skills.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1781 on: May 16, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
Fighter Combat bonus is a modifier for chance to hit while commanding fighters. Essentially it is tactical bonus for fighters. I think it is also applied at 100% of the commanding officer's bonus unlike other skills.

Does fighter combat stack with tactical?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1782 on: May 16, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »

Does fighter combat stack with tactical?
No I don't think tactical applies at all to fighters.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1783 on: May 17, 2021, 02:01:06 AM »
A question re Systems,

I have started a new game ( again ) . I have discovered a total of 22 systems of which 4 are completely devoid of matter and 4 have only comets ( from 1-3).

This means that over 1/3 of the systems are blank areas to traverse to find potential colony/mining sites ( not that I can find any good sites yet - my potential colony sites with low colony costs appear in systems with very sparse resources and in a couple of systems , no other bodies except the 1 planet that can be colonized

Is my percentage of around 1/3 blank systems the same as with other people's games , or am i just unlucky with the die roll generation of systems ?

Do other people also find systems with just a habitable planet and nothing much else?

DavidR

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #1784 on: May 17, 2021, 03:09:46 AM »
Ive surveyed 73 systems.
Rough count:  about 10 are completely empty.   A few have a sole barren world which Ive stuck  deep space scanning on as they are luckily on important routes.
What I am lacking are any NPR's to fight or invite round for a coffee.  (default NPR % settings).   Might up that % today