Author Topic: Bug Reports (Version 113 and up)  (Read 12699 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Bug Reports (Version 113 and up)
« on: October 08, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
Feel free to start sending in bug reports again.  I may not have time to look into all of them, especially the more vague or hard-to-reproduce bugs.  If I can't instantly figure out the issue you're describing I may just leave a quick message saying what additional information I'd like to get if you really want the bug fixed.  The more detail you can provide the better, and a copy of the save game is always welcome. 

Save files are located here:
- Windows: %APPDATA%/Godot/app_userdata/Quasar4x/quasar4x.sqlite
- Linux: $HOME/.godot/app_userdata/Quasar4x/quasar4x.sqlite

If the forum blocks your attachment please send save files to .

Thanks in advance for any reports that do lead to fixes, since I have very little time to do much playtesting myself!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:53:06 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, icekiss

Offline icekiss

• Leading Rate
  • i
Re: Bug Reports (Version 113 and up)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
I've followed your devlogs for quite some time now.
Since you said people could start playing, I have downloaded Quasar (Version 114), and started playing (on Linux).    ;)

After researching Transnewtonian tech, I have split my 5 research labs 3/1/1 while converting industry.
However, I just noticed that only Kian Ross (CP: Expand Civilian Economy) is actually researching (second project, 1 lab), the other projects do not reduce "RP required" when I advance time.
I can only assume this has something to do with the order the research projects where created in, or added and removed labs from.

Unfortunately I get an error from the forum software each time I try to attach the 3. 1MB zip file quasar4x. sqlite. zip
How would you like to receive that file? (I assume other prospective bug reporters would run into the same problem)

Thanks a bunch for making the game, I am very happy that there is now a linux version that is running well.     
I am looking forward to playing more, and reporting bugs as I notice them.     
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:14:57 AM by icekiss »

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
How would you like to receive that file? (I assume other prospective bug reporters would run into the same problem)

You can send it to .  I've updated the top post as well.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:54:21 AM by Kyle »

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:26:10 PM »
After researching Transnewtonian tech, I have split my 5 research labs 3/1/1 while converting industry.
However, I just noticed that only Kian Ross (CP: Expand Civilian Economy) is actually researching (second project, 1 lab), the other projects do not reduce "RP required" when I advance time.
I can only assume this has something to do with the order the research projects where created in, or added and removed labs from.

Fixed

The following users thanked this post: icekiss

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »
Linux version, just in case this is relevant.

In SM mode it's not possible to explore a jump point with the "enter/explore" button on the jump point tab of the system generation and display window.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »

In SM mode it's not possible to explore a jump point with the "enter/explore" button on the jump point tab of the system generation and display window.

That one's actually not currently implemented because I don't personally use it and would require me to refactor some things.  Do you need it for something?

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 03:22:20 PM »

That one's actually not currently implemented because I don't personally use it and would require me to refactor some things.  Do you need it for something?

Nothing important enough to justify that kind of work, thanks :)

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 02:31:42 AM »
Asteroid generation is weird as they have very high gravity. Two of them are colonisable despite being 60km in diameter and there is even an asteroid with gravity 3.5 times greater than Earth's while having diameter of 40km. Screenshot attached below.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
Fixed for the next version.  The calculation for gravity, while correct "on paper", was suffering from floating point error from too many steps in the calculation.  To fix it I reduced the formula to an identical and simpler form: Gravity = Density * Radius / 6380.0   (earth's radius in km).

Thanks for the report!

The following users thanked this post: Haji

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 05:58:31 PM »

Nothing important enough to justify that kind of work, thanks :)

My OCD wouldn't let me leave this alone. :)  The "enter/explore" button is now implemented.  I decided to make it usable without SM, which is how A4X does it, since its not that overpowered and it makes sense that an empire would have the technological capability to get a rough idea of the composition of nearby star systems.  The 'Force New' and 'No NPR' checkboxes are also implemented, although SM is required to enable either of those options.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Haji, Warer, Avalanche

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 03:19:13 AM »
Linux version 121

Pressing "Save Changes" in the "Specify Minerals" tab in the "System Generation and Display" window erases all minerals of the body, even if no modifications are made.

Edit: Order delay in "Task Group Orders" tab of the "Task Group" window appears to be working but there is no indication in either the window or the system map. I don't know if there is supposed to be one but it would be really helpful as it is impossible to know how much time remains until the next order is executed or can lead to confusion if I return to the campaign after a long time and don't remember that I set up delayed orders.

Edit 2: When using "Cycle Moves" function on the "Task Group Orders" tab of the "Task Groups" window the order delay will work fine but only the first time. After the first cycle the orders will be executed immediately.

Edit 3: When changing the construction queue in the "Industry" tab of the "Population and Production" window everything seems fine but the game will still construct things in the old order. For example if I'm building a military academy, after that I have a commercial shipyard, if I add infrastructure and move it up, so that the queue is academy->infrastructure->shipyard the game will nonetheless build academy->shipyard->infrastructure.

Edit 4: Colony cost 2.0 planets are never displayed on the galactic map. Planets with lower colony cost are showed automatically and planets with higher colony cost can be showed by checking "Show suitability 2 to 2.9 worlds" in the display tab but colonies with cost of exactly 2.0 are not shown at all.

Not sure if bug or not but certain randomly generated bodies (usually moons with low gravity of 0.2g or lower) have greenhouse factor set to 0 making it impossible to change their temperature through terraforming. It should be noted that the moons in the Solar system do not have the bug. I was using random stars rather than known ones.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:26:07 AM by Haji »

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
Linux version 121

Pressing "Save Changes" in the "Specify Minerals" tab in the "System Generation and Display" window erases all minerals of the body, even if no modifications are made.

Fixed

Edit: Order delay in "Task Group Orders" tab of the "Task Group" window appears to be working but there is no indication in either the window or the system map. I don't know if there is supposed to be one but it would be really helpful as it is impossible to know how much time remains until the next order is executed or can lead to confusion if I return to the campaign after a long time and don't remember that I set up delayed orders.

It appears to be functioning identically to A4x VB6, for better or worse.  However I've changed the displayed ETA to include the manually specified order delay.  So for example if you are watching a fleet on the system map and it says (Awaiting Acknowledgement) for an extended period of time but its ETA time is counting down, then you can conclude it is waiting on its order delay.

Edit 2: When using "Cycle Moves" function on the "Task Group Orders" tab of the "Task Groups" window the order delay will work fine but only the first time. After the first cycle the orders will be executed immediately.

VB6 Aurora is the same. Unfortunately I won't be changing this any time soon because it would require a database change that would be incompatible with games imported from VB6, which is something I do a lot.  If you are using order delays to wait for minerals to build up, you can use "Load Minerals when X available" instead.

Edit 3: When changing the construction queue in the "Industry" tab of the "Population and Production" window everything seems fine but the game will still construct things in the old order. For example if I'm building a military academy, after that I have a commercial shipyard, if I add infrastructure and move it up, so that the queue is academy->infrastructure->shipyard the game will nonetheless build academy->shipyard->infrastructure.

Have not experienced this issue in my game, although I only use 100% for my percentages.  Is it possible that you specified an order that would exceed 100%?  In that case the item exceeding 100% would be skipped and the one after it would be started if possible.  Please send me the save file if it still seems to be broken.

Edit 4: Colony cost 2.0 planets are never displayed on the galactic map. Planets with lower colony cost are showed automatically and planets with higher colony cost can be showed by checking "Show suitability 2 to 2.9 worlds" in the display tab but colonies with cost of exactly 2.0 are not shown at all.

Working for me.  Colonized worlds at 2.0 appear as blue dots inside the green circles, and one or more uncolonized 2.0 worlds show as blue rings around the green circle.  Note that I include 2.0 worlds in the 0 to 2 range whereas VB6 does not.  I do this because NPRs group 2.0 worlds in the 0 to 2 range as well for colony planning.

Not sure if bug or not but certain randomly generated bodies (usually moons with low gravity of 0.2g or lower) have greenhouse factor set to 0 making it impossible to change their temperature through terraforming. It should be noted that the moons in the Solar system do not have the bug. I was using random stars rather than known ones.

Bodies with gravity that is too low cannot retain an atmosphere and thus cannot be greenhoused :)  I don't remember if I observed this behavior in VB6 Aurora or whether I got that from the system gen pdf that Aurora derives from.  The sol system is the pre-baked one that VB6 comes with, so I guess it includes some miracle moons.

The following users thanked this post: Haji, Warer

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
Are gauss cannon turrets supposed to have a rof of 0 seconds?

Damage Output 1x1      Rate of Fire: 0 seconds     Range Modifier: 1
Max Range 10 000 km    Turret Size: 2.6    SPW: 2.6    Turret HTK: 1
Power Requirement: 0    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 0
Cost: 7    Crew: 4
Maximum Tracking Speed: 12000km/s
Materials Required:   3x Duranium  4x Vendarite

Development Cost for Project: 70RP

GC rof and range techs are at 1. They`re also not showing up in class design when picked. Their is a minimum size quad gauss cannon turret in this design.

Outreach class Patrol Craft (P)    550 tons     19 Crew     102.75 BP      TCS 11  TH 30  EM 0
2727 km/s     Armor 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 3
Maint Life 28.03 Years     MSP 119    AFR 2%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 4    Max Repair 43 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1

Commonwealth Defense National M2120 .1kt LE Ion Drive (P) (1)    Power 30    Fuel Use 119.84%    Signature 30    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Liters    Range 13.7 billion km   (57 days at full power)

Commonwealth Defense National M2120 PDFC (1)    Max Range: 48 000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Outreach class Patrol Craft (P)    375 tons     15 Crew     91.75 BP      TCS 7.5  TH 30  EM 0 (heres the design with it removed)

Also my screen froze and reset twice since i started playing quasar though im not sure if this is related.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:03:50 PM by Warer »

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:28:13 PM »
Are gauss cannon turrets supposed to have a rof of 0 seconds?

Damage Output 1x1      Rate of Fire: 0 seconds     Range Modifier: 1
Max Range 10 000 km    Turret Size: 2.6    SPW: 2.6    Turret HTK: 1
Power Requirement: 0    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 0
Cost: 7    Crew: 4
Maximum Tracking Speed: 12000km/s
Materials Required:   3x Duranium  4x Vendarite

Development Cost for Project: 70RP

Fixed - also removed the "Power Requirement: 0" line for gauss turrets

They`re also not showing up in class design when picked

Fixed

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 02:44:05 AM »

Have not experienced this issue in my game, although I only use 100% for my percentages.  Is it possible that you specified an order that would exceed 100%?  In that case the item exceeding 100% would be skipped and the one after it would be started if possible.  Please send me the save file if it still seems to be broken.

Here is the screenshot of what is happening. Sorry for the smegty composite. Will send database.

Working for me.  Colonized worlds at 2.0 appear as blue dots inside the green circles, and one or more uncolonized 2.0 worlds show as blue rings around the green circle.  Note that I include 2.0 worlds in the 0 to 2 range whereas VB6 does not.  I do this because NPRs group 2.0 worlds in the 0 to 2 range as well for colony planning.

Two screenshots below. The first one shows a system with three potentially habitable planets, two colony cost 2.0 and one colony cost 2.1. The second screenshot shows galaxy map where the system supposedly have only one planet with a colony cost 2.0 or higher. Database will be sent (its the same one as before).

Unfortunately I won't be changing this any time soon because it would require a database change that would be incompatible with games imported from VB6, which is something I do a lot.

I didn't know that was possible but it is something I would be interested in. Can I know what are you using for conversion? I tried to use some free tools but none of them worked out due to various limitations.

Edit: Linux version 124 (newest).

I developed new engines and begun refits. I refitted two vessels, an exploration ship and a freighter. There is no issue with refitting the freighter. However I can't refit the exploration ship. The refit supposedly happens but the class isn't changing. SQL file will be sent.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:35:21 AM by Haji »