Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124122 times)

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »
Damn, 1.14 has already so many critical fixes listed that Im, again, hesitant to start new game till next patch. Was hoping to have 1.13 going though.
Steve, do you plan to release it soon? Those fixes seems like important.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
Damn, 1.14 has already so many critical fixes listed that Im, again, hesitant to start new game till next patch. Was hoping to have 1.13 going though.

There aren't any major bugs that prevent the game being played, so I am in no rush at the moment. I have started work on a new spoiler race so I need to finish that and then run a test campaign, plus I have a few holidays booked.

The following users thanked this post: Shuul, StarshipCactus, Ektor, Gabrote42

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible to just release those fixes alone as 1.13.1 or something? Since they're already coded and stuff. This obfuscation everywhere looks ugly so while not game breaking is rather impactful I'd say.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible to just release those fixes alone as 1.13.1 or something? Since they're already coded and stuff. This obfuscation everywhere looks ugly so while not game breaking is rather impactful I'd say.

There is no 1.13.1 as the database is already updated. I don't keep a detailed change log of what was modified for each change or bug fix.

The two obfuscation bugs are in non-essential areas that were only introduced in v1.13, so v1.12 worked fine without them.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 04:29:08 PM »

Every patch is essential. One thing I've learned is that if you pass from 1.10 to 1.12 for instance, you have so many changes to assimilate that almost "ruin" the experience. My advice is at least to play 1 small campaign a 1 big campaign per iteration to help yourself with the transition.

So far my biggest campaigns were made on 1.10 and 1.12 and they are totally different experiences because 1.10 was the first stable release after so many bug fixes and qol improvements, also the new NPR designs and threats kept me hooked for a while. 1.12 on the other hand, changed the terraforming and the parasites along with formations, automated exploration, and a new AI mechanic.

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 05:52:24 PM »
automated exploration,

Yeah, guess ill just go on with 1.13
But what you mean by automated exploration? wonder if I missed something.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
automated exploration,

Yeah, guess ill just go on with 1.13
But what you mean by automated exploration? wonder if I missed something.

there are a set of rules and orders that allow you to send ships on permanent exploration tasks without the need of you to micromanaging it if you that kind of person at least. In the beginning, for me, it's not that handy as I usually proceed carefully and I pick my jumps. Later when you are with 100+ systems and you need to look after 30+ jumps at 10 or more systems away from Sol it does really help. I call them exploration eras. Sometimes I just do 1 year or more years of wild exploration while doing other stuff before calling the eagles back in and only then look at the findings.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
On the tactical map left-hand display panel there is a checkbox called "No child/parent overlaps".

What do?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2021, 09:42:04 PM »
I have a minor issue with the removal of the tokamak, its too cool to remove, could it come back to replace the generic 'magnetic confinement reactor' used for magnetic confinement drives ?
Afterall it is a magnetic confinement reactor itself, and even the previous stellarator is also a magnetic confinement reactor,. It might introduce some confusion to people familiar with previous tech levels though. In fact maybe some of the other generic reactor types could be renamed.

Improved Pressurized water reactor - Pressurized Heavy water Reactor
Improved Nuclear Thermal Engine - Liquid Core Nuclear thermal engine
Improved Pebble bed - Molten Salt Cooled Pebble Bed
Improved Nuclear Pulse Engine - Liquid Metal Core Nuclear Pulse Engine
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:47:55 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, Black, Droll, BAGrimm, Ektor, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »

Pressurized Deuterium Reactor sounds cooler and pretty much means the same thing IIRC

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »

Pressurized Deuterium Reactor sounds cooler and pretty much means the same thing IIRC
Yep. All these were taken from the wiki page for those reactor techs with merely a few minutes of skimming so there could be slightly better terminology, but its better than just 'improved'
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
With the new GU scrapping capability it seems like we're only a couple of automation steps away from being able to implement upgrading of GU formations, which is excellent progress.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »
we're only a couple of automation steps away from...

Said every software development manager ever. :)

The following users thanked this post: Ektor

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15:02 AM »
I agree that tokamak is a rather interesting name and should probably supersede something rather than going away.

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »
I am very happy to see Steve add that 100 ton wiggle room for not auto-adding a bridge when you go over 1,000 tons; it's always been a pain in my rear end when designing FACs (I like FACs so I use them a lot.)

Not so thrilled about the crew training change, however. Chucking a fleet into a training admin command was simple, straightforward and easy. Now I'll have to micromanage swapping out commanders for smaller ships without an auxiliary control for an XO? No thanks. And inexperienced fleet fire delay penalties are bad enough to make this matter. Maybe the new fire at will option will mitigate that? Iunno. I might just play with experience penalties turned off, instead. Guess we'll see.