Author Topic: F3 / System Map Freezing, #142  (Read 2101 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
F3 / System Map Freezing, #142
« on: August 06, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
I have an Intel HD 520, old I know, but it's running up to date drivers and should have OpenGL 4.6 I have tried running in Ain, disabling Fullscreen optimizations and disabling High DPI scaling as well.

The System Map still hangs the game. Other UI elements work fine. I have the 2019 Redistributable installed, which fixed the crash on startup. Any suggestions? I haven't tried the Itch.io app yet, but that's next on the list.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:42:17 PM by Kyle »

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Re: F3 / System Map Freezing, #142
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
 Update: I ran OpenGL Extension viewer and can confirm I have 4.6 and below. Furthermore I tried deleting the GODOT app_userdata thing. I then went into properties of the SQLite and others and checked the option to unblock them.

Still no joy and hangs on F3 or when selecting system map front the drop-down. On version 142.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
Here's what my GL Extensions Viewer shows, for comparison.  Everything 100% on yours?

Unfortunately, rendering orbits in "software mode" is prohibitively slow in the Godot engine (and probably any non-proprietary engine) which is why I use a screen-space shader.  It shouldn't be a video memory issue either because only 32 MiB video ram is required.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:01:33 PM »
Yeppers. Except for the card listed, it's 100% the same.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 03:18:24 PM »
Does the galactic map freeze too?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:42:00 PM by Kyle »

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 02:55:33 AM »
 --- The Galactic Map does not freeze, but when trying to access the System Map via the Galactic Map the game still hangs.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
Ok that's strange, because the galactic map uses the same screen-space shader.  If you can see any circular shapes on the galactic map then the shader is working.  Can you send me your save file?  %appdata%/Godot/app_userdata/Quasar4x/quasar4x.sqlite  also any log file beginning with the name 'godot' in the  %appdata%/Godot/app_userdata/Quasar4x/logs directory

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 03:34:30 AM »
 --- Sure thing. :) There is one sqlite file with "_appuserdata"; this file was renamed for by me because I also have a copy of Quasar4X in my Downloads folder, and thus needed to rename the one from app_userdata to zip it. It does NOT have that name in the the app_userdata folder, and the sqlite without that rename is from the Downloads folder. I've tried running it from a standalone windows that I downloaded off of itch as well as running it from the itch.io app.

-  Cheers! ;D

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
--- Sure thing. :) There is one sqlite file with "_appuserdata"; this file was renamed for by me because I also have a copy of Quasar4X in my Downloads folder, and thus needed to rename the one from app_userdata to zip it. It does NOT have that name in the the app_userdata folder, and the sqlite without that rename is from the Downloads folder. I've tried running it from a standalone windows that I downloaded off of itch as well as running it from the itch.io app.

-  Cheers! ;D

I got not a single clue as to what the problem could be.  It opened right up for me when I pressed F3, with no strange messages in debug output..

Off-Topic: screenshot • show

As a shot in the dark, I unchecked every box in the F3 window settings in your file and attached it here for you to try.  I doubt it will make a difference though since the shaders will still be loaded.  Unfortunately without an intel graphics chip to test on, this is a very difficult problem to troubleshoot.  If I get more reports of the problem I might try adding a 'software rendering (very slow)' fallback mode.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »
 --- Kyle my boy, you're a genius! I have absolutely no idea what you did, but it works! It opened right up with no issues whatsoever. Thanks a ton!

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »
AHA! I've found another way to break it! If I check Orbital Paths for anything, the game hangs, then hangs again if I try to reopen it. Don't worry, I can restore the one you sent me as a workaround. :)

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »
I've added a Disable Hardware Acceleration to the Game Info panel, so you can enable orbits in your game:

Don't forget to press Save before you enter the game.

This reverts to the pixely orbits in the VB6 style. It turns out that it's not really any slower than the shader approach. 

Hope this works!  The galactic map isn't so easy to change so I've left it alone since you said it wasn't freezing. 

This is in Version 147 which I've just released.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 05:45:04 PM »
Yes! It works! Hooray!

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Gustav

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »
I have the same problem and cant play without the system map.  Installed de visual studio, my intel uhd is perfect and disable the hardware acceleration.  Thanks Kyle!