Author Topic: The Church of Iron (AAR / Short Story)  (Read 2076 times)

Online AlStar (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
The Church of Iron (AAR / Short Story)
« on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:04 AM »
The Holy Spire of Terra strained against the sky, a mountain-dwarfing pyramid the color of shining chrome, duranium-infused steel and concrete effortlessly shrugging off the pull of gravity. Overhead, the sky roiled a sickly green, clouds billowing in a writhing whirlpool that spun around the very tip of the structure. Bright bolts of lightning flashed spasmodically, leaving purple trails that burned in the eyes of any that gazed too long.

The messenger looked at the gaudy display and rolled her eyes. Just because one could do something with the massive global terraforming tools which the New Era had brought, did not mean that one should, or that it was, in any way, in good taste to do so.

She walked up to the entrance – not the one that stood a hundred feet tall, gilded in gold, adorned with the symbol of Holy Terra formed from a single diamond, guarded by a full company of the Iron Church’s Inquisitors – no, she went to one of the thousands of regular-sized doors that studded the ground-level of the massive building, set nearly invisibly into the surrounding walls, each with its own small keypad that rested in a slight indent next to it. A wave of her keycard and a light flashed green, and a hole appeared before her. She stepped inside.

Hundreds of novices, their robes gray and chest plates dull iron, rushed about in an organized chaos. Many carried data pads, or even archaic sheaves of papers in their tight-fisted hands. The constant sound of the papers shuffling sounded like the ocean, or perhaps a light rain. The messenger ducked between two novices and into a short corridor that dead-ended in another keypad. She waved her keycard again, and then stepped in.

The lights overhead were low, but more than sufficient to see the dozens of cubicles, their low steel walls each surrounding an acolyte in purple robes and polished steel, their eyes bright with the inner light of their personal HUDs. Arms reached and hands grasped at items that only they could see. The quiet whispers of voice commands gave the place a constant murmur, just outside of comprehension. Threading the maze, the messenger came to another keypad, which opened into a waiting elevator, its walls blank steel. Another wave of her keycard closed the doors behind her, and text appeared on the wall before her, the letters each an inch tall and slightly raised, a glossy black that shone ever so slightly with internal light.

“WELCOME SERGEANT TAOS, DESIGNATED MESSENGER OF MILITARY HIGH COMMAND. WHAT IS YOUR WISH?”

“Bring me to the council chambers – I have need to speak with the Prelate.”

“AS YOU ORDER.”

There was the slight sensation of increased gravity that pulled her down, then to the side, then several seconds of weightlessness before the doors opened once again.

The air thrummed with the staccato sound of whips and grunts of pain. The Penitent stood in concentric circles surrounding a single ornate door, their chests bare, their backs marked with self-inflicted lashes. The sharp smell of blood filled the room. The messenger navigated through the throng, occasionally stepping over the body of a Penitent who had overindulged and now lay insensible, until she reached the door that lead to the council. As before, a single swipe of her keycard was all that was needed for the barrier to give way.

In stark contrast to the last room, the council chambers were dominated by the sound of flowing water. Wherever one looked, graceful fountains of white marble stood. Clear water flowed down sinuous forms under bright lights that perfectly imitated the sun on a slightly cloudy day. The sweet smell of spices lingered on the artificial breeze. Twelve men, each at least seven feet tall, their bronzed bodies packed with idle muscle,  sat or reclined on thrones that appeared to be made of gold (although Taos suspected that they were actually something far more comfortable), surrounded by attendants. While supple, top-heavy women were the norm, there was also a smattering of hermaphrodites, their organs showing obvious sexual desire, and the small, flat chested forms of those that had been age-regressed (as not even the council would dare to indulge in such blasphemy… openly, at least).

Managing to (just barely) conceal a grimace, the messenger fell to one knee.

“Prelate, I bring tidings of great importance from the survey corps.”

One of the figures straightened ever so slightly in their throne, waving away an offered bunch of grapes from a heavily endowed servant.

“What do you have to report, messenger? The Church, as always, is fascinated by the tidings of the High Command.”

“We have found something below the sands of Mars, Prelate. An alien colony of massive size, many hundreds of buildings, long abandoned. The xenoarcheologists believe that the colony flourished before Man even took his first steps upon the Earth. Despite its age, there are still indications of technology in advance of our own.”

“Amazing! Assign a dozen more teams of xenoarcheologists to Mars. Recover all that there is. But tell your masters that this is to be done in the highest secrecy – there should never be any word that there was a xeno more advanced than ourselves – especially one so old. Such rumors would bring only dissent and fear.”

“As you say,” said the messenger, thumping her fist to her chest. She turned to leave.

“And messenger,” the Prelate said.

“Yes, your Holiness?”

“Remind the generals that they serve at the grace of the Church of Iron.”

“Of course, your Holiness.”
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:08:34 AM by AlStar »

The following users thanked this post: Black, BAGrimm

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: The Church of Iron (AAR / Short Story)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »
Interesting. Certainly we can always use more creepy cult-based AAR writing around here. Quite a lot of dogmatic elements here - will they be embraced, or subverted by the progress of TN technology?

I await further posts to learn the answer to this and other questions. Also to see a bunch of space monks kick some aliens around.

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 07:31:26 AM »
I await further posts to learn the answer to this and other questions. Also to see a bunch of space monks kick some aliens around.
I must admit I am hoping for aliens to give the creepy church a bit of a kicking, because the Prelate has not made a good first impression on me.

Thinking of conflict I am reminded that one of the more catastrophic weapons that can be used is (dis)information and knowledge. Can such a large excavation really be carried out in complete secrecy? Will all of the High Command try quiet as hard as they should to ensure it is? Would they in fact rather not serve at the grace of the church? Many questions and mysteries, some of which will hopefully be answered.

Online AlStar (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:04:01 PM »
Captain Lynn of the Holy Terra surveyed his bridge. Everyone was at their stations, although it was obvious that tensions were running high – droplets of sweat fell from anxious faces onto control panels. A timer on the main screen steadily counted down.

“We, along with the Holy Luna and Holy Mars, will be the first ships to leave the solar system, where all of humanity has, up until this point, lived and died. In mere moments, the massive warp engines will engage, and we will find ourselves lightyears away from this place… or so the scientists, all of whom are watching from a safe distance, tell me,” Lynn gave a sickly smile to the rest of the crew, receiving a few halfhearted chuckles back.

The timer hit ten seconds. The captain looked over to the acolyte in purple robes and gleaming silver armor, who nodded solemnly.

Lynn hit a button, connecting him to the entire ship. “All crew, brace for transition.”

The timer reached zero.

Millions of miles away, the images of three ships vanished as if they’d never existed, leaving only the empty blackness of space.

“Well, that was rather understated,” the Prelate remarked to no one in particular, “I was expecting there to be some flashing lights or arcing electricity – maybe a giant wormhole opening in a spray of exotic particles in the ether.”

“Wait, what? Did I miss it?” said a muffled voice.

“Of course you missed it, Councilman Veras – we would have had to install a holoprojector into your attendant’s breasts for you to see it,” said the Prelate dryly.

“Huh, I wonder…” Veras muttered to himself.

The Prelate punched in a combination on a panel next to his throne. The three blank outer space video feeds shifted to one side, and a man with a blond bearded face and a collar loaded with insignias popped into view.

“Prelate,” the man said, giving a nod of greeting.

“General,” the Prelate replied, his face impassive, “was the experiment a success? All I can see is that thousands of tons of men and materials just winked out of existence, without even an entertaining light show to go with it.”

“The scientists are saying that, according to their instruments, everything went exactly according to plan. If they’re right, we should be seeing something right about… now.”

In the blank screens, suddenly the forms of the scout ships Holy Terra, Luna, and Mars reappeared without fanfare, as though they had never left. Moments later, additional windows started to appear: camera feeds of stars, labeled as Psi Ceti – a dual system of dull red stars, hosting only two lonely comets – Alpha Centauri – another dual system, containing four planets and four moons around the primary and four planets and thirty moons around the secondary – and Wolf 359 – home to a small Mercury-like planet and a gas giant.

“All three survey ships have reported back to Sol space, systems nominal. Humanity now has access to the stars, Prelate,” said the General.

“This is exceptional, General – we live in exciting times! Orders for additional survey ships are greenlighted; and we will see about fast-tracking the research that claims we can ‘stabilize’ these points in space, allowing for travel without the need for bulky warp engines. If we can do that, we should be able to open these new worlds to exploitation and colonization by the faithful. The Church will grow.”

“The Church will grow,” echoed the General.

Note: I hope to get these out more often - at this rate, I'll forget what happened in my game before I get around to writing about it.  :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:09:49 PM by AlStar »

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »
… or so the scientists, all of whom are watching from a safe distance, tell me

Truly the life of a scientist is full of occupational hazards to be delegated so that other people may deal with them.

“Of course you missed it, Councilman Veras – we would have had to install a holoprojector into your attendant’s breasts for you to see it,” said the Prelate dryly.

Hardly appropriate behavior for a man who serves the Church of Iron, now is it?

“The Church will grow,” nodded the General.

The greatest threat to the expansion of the Church is not from without, but from within, in the form of legions of perky attendants just waiting to lead the councilmen and women astray from their sacred path. Or at least to provide a suitable distraction at an opportune moment.

Note: I hope to get these out more often - at this rate, I'll forget what happened in my game before I get around to writing about it.  :P

The secret is to write while playing, and to take copious notes. Also recommended is the maintenance of a 27-tab spreadsheet, this is not necessary but helps one feel more on top of things even when one is not.  ;D

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 08:10:55 PM »
Also recommended is the maintenance of a 27-tab spreadsheet

Bahahahaha.