Author Topic: Why can't my survey ships automatically return to Earth to overhaul?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline porcuspine (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
I'm playing without ship maintenance this game, in case that's relevant.       

The only planets I have colonized right now are in the Sol system, and only Earth has fuel or maintenance facilities.  When my survey ships' deployments are complete, I have it set to overhaul at  colony, but when their deployment finishes I just get an Orders Not Possible error that the ship can't find a suitable destination to overhaul at.       

I can send them back to Earth manually to overhaul; when I do, they continue to throw the error their entire trip back.  My survey ships are military ships (naturally) but they have commercial engines and commercial jump drives, so I don't know if that might be confusing their automatic pathing or something.       

(Edit: I'm trying to add pictures but I don't know how)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:48:55 PM by porcuspine »

Offline BritoO

• Petty Officer
  • B
Re: Why can't my survey ships automatically return to Earth to overhaul?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
A couple of questions, to help clarify the situation

1 - What game version are you playing in (the latest is 1.13.0 at the moment)
     There was a bug in 1.12.0 that caused some errors when using standing orders (See here for the original bug report)
2 - Is the survey ship jump capable and is not in the Sol system
     I have ran into the situation where i only stabilized one half of a jump point and the survey ship could not return to earth on its own and was giving "Orders not Possible" messages

Apart from that keep in mind that if you have maintenance turned off (by checking the "No Maintenance Required" checkbox) you don't need to overhaul any ship, military of civilian.

Also you cannot post images until you have 10 post IIRC. It's an anti spam measure.

Offline porcuspine (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
1.  I am almost positive I'm on 1. 13, but I don't know if there's a way to check in-game.

2.  The survey ship is jump capable; I can manually move it back to Earth to overhaul it, and even when I do so it still complains that it can't find a suitable destination.

I only play with maintenance off because it's very annoying to have to micro MSP stockpiles on exoplanet colonies.  I'd still like to engage with deployment time and crew morale.  If there was a way to just make it so ships maintained by planetside facilities don't expend ANY MSP, that's what I'd go with.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
If maintenance is turned off, you don't need to do an overhaul and I don't think it is even possible to do one. This is probably the source of your error even though the event log entry is misleading in this case.

The following users thanked this post: porcuspine

Offline porcuspine (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
Ahh you can't overhaul at all if maintenance is disabled.  So there's no suitable destination because there's no such thing as overhauling.  Thanks! I guess I'll have to figure out how to automate shore leave. 

Offline BritoO

• Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
Not quite.

As far as I've seen all that happens it that any ships in overhaul will leave overhaul automatically during the next construction cycle (every 5 days by default)

All overhaul orders, including standing orders still apply. Any fleets will still have the [OV] tag added to the end of the name as well

While, yes, you will need some other way to do shore leave, keep in mind that the original problem still remains

Sorry for any typos, on mobile atm.