Author Topic: Update to Silent Cartographer  (Read 1341 times)

Offline doodle_sm (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
Update to Silent Cartographer
« on: August 28, 2022, 08:50:05 AM »
Hey everyone! A short update on what's going on.

I am working on setting the campaign, work and Crisis in the Confederation has been a distract for me recently. There are few changes I want to mention to the style of this after action report.
First, there are going to be two update threads. One for the Covenant Empire and another for the United Nations Space Command. The game will start in 2160 when the Interplanetary Wars begin in the Sol system. In addition, this game is going to have no NPRs or spoilers as I will be running all races. I plan to update the Game Rules thread with the UNSC setup and a new Covenant setup. I am scrapping all of my listed house rules because I do not find them engaging to my roleplay style. I have been reading Kurt's amazing Starfire AAR New Cold War, which has been a huge source of writing help. Special thanks to Stormtrooper and Nuclearslurpee for the writing help!

I hope to get the UNSC and Covenant threads in the following days!
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Update to Silent Cartographer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 05:41:20 PM »
Nice to know someone likes my campaign!  I'm glad it's been helpful to you.

I've enjoyed Aurora's automated NPR's, as they can be unpredictable and, as a player, you generally don't know their strength, so they can be interesting to play against.  As a main antagonist, though, they leave a lot to be desired as it can be hard to fit their actions into a narrative.  In several of my Aurora campaign's I've played all of the races, either with NPR's turned off or just used as a distraction. 

Back to work on Cold War!

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »
Super excited for this. I just finished catching up on a few different AARs and I'm curious to see how this one plays out. In my few attempts at AARs I've also manually designed NPRs and used dicerolls for certain things, although my games have all ended from slow downs or real life getting in the way.

Question though, I'm a little rusty on my Halo lore (it's been a few years since I've read any of the books, if you're starting during the interplanetary wars are you planning for the game to run all the way up to the Human Covenant War? My games tend to be pretty much dead in the water after 200 years.

Offline doodle_sm (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »
Question though, I'm a little rusty on my Halo lore (it's been a few years since I've read any of the books, if you're starting during the interplanetary wars are you planning for the game to run all the way up to the Human Covenant War? My games tend to be pretty much dead in the water after 200 years.

Excited to hear your excitement! I'm intending to run to the Human-Covenant War but not to the exact calendar date of October 2524. I'm starting in 2160 for there to be action for the Humans early on as well as both factions to expand in the galaxy. Definitely not planning on running this campaign for a full 360 ish years.
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe, ranger044

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »
Very excited to see the first 2.0 AAR.

Will follow it for sure.

Kane