Author Topic: v2.6.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v2.6.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« on: January 26, 2024, 07:34:41 AM »
Thread for discussion of changes announced for v2.6.0. Please do not post bug reports or unrelated suggestions in this thread.

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: v2.6.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 08:35:05 AM »
So it looks like you're working to solve the problem of binaries way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, potentially with no easy way to access (and just all-round gigantic systems in general.)

I like that you've made it an option - I've always designed my ships with a surfeit of range (each generation of engines has a "Miserly" variant, which takes the biggest engine I can design and matches it with the lowest power% - for ships that don't need to move quickly, and which I don't want to have to refuel often.) Things like my stabilization ships can travel hundreds of billions of km between refuels. So, for me, as long as there's something that can hold a stabilization point on the other end, I'm willing and able to send a ship over there and wait however long it takes to form a bridge.

That said, I can be annoyed as anyone when the number of surveyed objects in a system remains stubbornly under 100%, and little chunks of rock that are in the far outreaches of a system are the number one cause of such things. This looks like it will greatly help with that.

Edit: Okay, I change my answer - I just came across a trinary star system where the third star (which has a full solar system, along with some juicy-looking planets) is 720 billion km away. That's too far.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 09:38:24 PM by AlStar »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 12:34:26 PM »
Regarding the LaGrange rule, perchance apply that to planets as well?  I've had a few cases where far-out gas giants had an LP and that made them interesting.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 09:01:26 PM »
Regarding the LaGrange rule, perchance apply that to planets as well?  I've had a few cases where far-out gas giants had an LP and that made them interesting.
Having an LP doesn't do that much to make a gas giant in a huge orbit accessible, since the point is at a distance from the body that appears to relate to the orbital circumference.

Though it can be very helpful for catching some trojan asteroids.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 09:17:03 PM »
Does the Limited Planet Distance option means that some real star systems could be missing the companion stars? I think from close stars Epsilon Indi and 40 Eridani could be affected for example.

SJW: Yes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:53:24 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline David_H_Roarings

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 10:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Ulzgoroth link=topic=13465. msg168369#msg168369 date=1706324486
Quote from: QuakeIV link=topic=13465. msg168365#msg168365 date=1706294066
Having an LP doesn't do that much to make a gas giant in a huge orbit accessible, since the point is at a distance from the body that appears to relate to the orbital circumference.

If we could put a DSP at Lagrange Points particularly at L1 then it would make a gas giant that is far out more accessible

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 01:05:50 AM »

Oh yeah good point, would need to be a moon.  I could swear it happened once.