Author Topic: gunboats  (Read 6215 times)

Offline TrueZuluwiz (OP)

• Zulu
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
gunboats
« on: November 26, 2020, 04:11:38 PM »
A question that has bothered me for a while: would it be worth the effort to arm gunboats with standard anti-mine missiles and send them through to clear minefields? I can see that it would be a fast way to clear mines, since a gunboat can carry 16 standard missiles, therefore 16 standard anti-mine missiles. A squadron of 6 gunboats would thus be able to fire 96 missiles. This would be a fast and cheap way to clear minefields, but I'm not sure it would be better than using missiles launched from warships.  The advantage would be to clear mines without risking your warships. Any thoughts or comments?
Expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: gunboats
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »
A question that has bothered me for a while: would it be worth the effort to arm gunboats with standard anti-mine missiles and send them through to clear minefields? I can see that it would be a fast way to clear mines, since a gunboat can carry 16 standard missiles, therefore 16 standard anti-mine missiles. A squadron of 6 gunboats would thus be able to fire 96 missiles. This would be a fast and cheap way to clear minefields, but I'm not sure it would be better than using missiles launched from warships.  The advantage would be to clear mines without risking your warships. Any thoughts or comments?

Sorry if I ask, but as far as I know mines are not implemented in C#, so I don't see the need of a minesweeper.

So, did you manage to get mines to function and or encountered any minefield?

Thanks

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »

Sorry if I ask, but as far as I know mines are not implemented in C#, so I don't see the need of a minesweeper.

Thanks

This is the Starfire section of the forum, not Aurora.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:08:03 PM »

Thanks

This is the Starfire section of the forum, not Aurora.

s**t, sorry mate, the update board can be confusing

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 12:36:11 PM »

You have a lot of wrong numbers...a standard gunboat carries 4 standard missiles which could be anti-mine missiles sure...and 4 gunboats in the squadron could launch 16 missiles but you need a bunch of missiles to actually take out a pattern so while this would work you would need a bunch of squadrons...no reason to not do it if the enemy is not protecting the mine field.  But it is likely faster to just have the gunboats move through the minefield as that kills mines fast too.  The higher tech gunboats would have 6 in line racks and 6 gunboats per squadron they could launch 36...

The question is more what is there protecting the mines.  Gunboats can die in job lots to fire so this works against a defended field only if you can simul-transit in a bunch of GBs.  And then well once they punch through the minefield they aren't much use as they don't have any other weapons. except their onboard laser.