C# Aurora > C# Utilities

Spreadsheet: Ground combat simulator!

(1/3) > >>

deathpickle:
Very surprised no one made this yet! But its nice I get to be the first. Not the greatest at math, but I dare say im quite proud of myself. It feels like the first time I beat stickranger after all those years unable to win as a kid. For context, this is my third attempt, the previous was vast in scale, with only half-useful results. I even finished it quickly this time in only 2 days! ;D

here it is! Aurora Ground combat simulator!

Warer:
Holy hell a single point of difference in racial armor makes so much of a difference it's fricking insane. Thanks for this, I would have had no idea how effective my weapons would be if not for this.

Ulzgoroth:

--- Quote from: Warer on January 15, 2024, 08:00:27 AM ---Holy hell a single point of difference in racial armor makes so much of a difference it's fricking insane. Thanks for this, I would have had no idea how effective my weapons would be if not for this.

--- End quote ---
When armor and hp are stronger than AP and damage respectively, kill chance scales with the 4th power of the tech factors. (Because penetration and wounding both scale as the square and combine multiplicatively.)

deathpickle:
yup, and increasing your armor-level never directly makes a unit more cost efficient when you factor the reduced numbers you'll be able to make, no matter their penetration or your racial armor! It does however make them more space efficient for transport, which is actually a big deal.

Test a 5000 squad of 1 armor infantry vs 2500 squad of 2 armor infantry (same cost and level.) You'll see they both are exactly even!

Ulzgoroth:

--- Quote from: deathpickle on January 16, 2024, 11:10:10 AM ---yup, and increasing your armor-level never directly makes a unit more cost efficient when you factor the reduced numbers you'll be able to make, no matter their penetration or your racial armor! It does however make them more space efficient for transport, which is actually a big deal.

Test a 5000 squad of 1 armor infantry vs 2500 squad of 2 armor infantry (same cost and level.) You'll see they both are exactly even!

--- End quote ---
The latter deal damage half as fast and take proportionately 1/2 as many losses. (1/4 as many losses on half as many units.) That's exactly even in a simple matchup, yes. But there are ways to make it not even.

The former have twice as many built-in GSP worth of supplies, so if you're skimping on resupply units they can do more before stalling (though that becomes negligible if you're bringing plenty of supplies). They're better at occupation work, of course. And they're just as (non) durable as the armored infantry against heavier weapons, which can be a big deal depending on enemy force composition.

That's a lot of cons of the heavy infantry. Let me see if I can find some pros! Other than transport density as you say.

The armored infantry takes twice as many rounds of incoming fire to wipe out. So back on supplies, they're placing more stress on the enemy GSP. They take half the proportionate losses in any given round, so they produce a better Cohesion Rating making them harder to Breakthrough against.

I think their longer endurance can provide better protection of high-value units, since it's not uncommon for such units to survive better and die late after the infantry has been cleared out around them, but this might be deceptive, I'd need to run the math. It's certainly sometimes true though - if the enemy isn't using Front Line Attack, their units can't hit your units behind the front line, so the armored infantry does a significantly better job of protecting a support-line stack of Light Bombardment in a trench stalemate situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version