Author Topic: Galactic map  (Read 4125 times)

Offline ISN (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
Galactic map
« on: May 23, 2021, 09:05:56 PM »
I find the galactic map rather frustrating to use, and the impression I've gotten here is that I'm not the only one. I think there are a couple ways the galactic map could be improved, some of which I think would be fairly easy to implement:
  • Wider grid spacing. Currently I find it very easy to accidentally misalign different parts of the map because the gaps between the points on the grid are very small. Put another way, there are too many points on the grid between the points where you'd actually want to put systems. I don't think changing this would be very difficult; in fact, I noticed that there's already a grid size column in the database, although as far as I can tell from experimenting with it it doesn't do anything.
  • Better grid snapping. To be honest I can't quite figure out what algorithm is being used to snap systems to the grid: sometimes it seems to be rounding to the nearest grid point, other times it seems to be rounding down, moving the system in the direction of the starting system, but which algorithm it uses seems to depend inconsistently on the direction the system is being moved and the location of the system. (In fact, it's so inconsistent I'm beginning to wonder if it might be buggy.)
  • Implement zooming. This one is pretty clear I think -- maps grow beyond what can fit on one screen very quickly, and it would be much easier to make sense of the map if we could zoom out. That being said, I realize this could take some work to implement.
What are your thoughts? Are there other ways the map could be improved? Or do other people like it as it is?

The following users thanked this post: Foxxonius Augustus, Zhukov

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Galactic map
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:12:34 PM »
I would love it if the calculation of distance between systems was improved in two ways:
1) Take into account Lagrange points.
2) In cases where multiple routes are possible, display the distance of the shortest possible route, not the distance of the route with the fewest hops.

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 05:56:53 AM »
I find that if I drag systems slightly 'northwest' of where I want them they snap to grid correctly.

I mostly want to have labels that drag with systems and a player chosen backgroud image.

The following users thanked this post: RaidersOfTheVerge, nuclearslurpee

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 11:42:36 AM »
If the System Map is the heart of Aurora then the Galactic Map should be the brain

I think the GalMap as a sort of strategic map, then it should have:

(only some ideas)

- zooming
- better snapping
- double click on a system open the corresponding SysMap, or if the SysMap is already open, then this focusing on the selected system
- improved labeling
- thematic coulored filters (distance, minerals, hostiles, troops, fleets mil/civ, ...)

J.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
Agree that the most critical improvement for the galactic map is a wider grid spacing and ideally some improved snapping. The snap always seems to move the system to the bottom right. The grid spacing used to be configurable in VB6, which was of relatively dubious advantage, so I'm not too sad to see the option gone. But for clarity and sanity I prefer the distances between systems to be equal, and the current rather fine grid makes that difficult. I keep a ruler around to hold to my screen and judge if I've spaced the systems correctly.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
For those not already aware, the grid snapping is done in increments of 20. I don't know what this is 20 of, perhaps pixels, but it is 20 if I remember correctly.

When a new system is discovered it is placed, if possible, with a delta-x and delta-y from the connecting system of 140 or a multiple thereof. In other words the default spacing between systems is seven grid lines, a very strange number.

Given that most folks seem to not care much for the fineness of the current grid, I might suggest that the grid snapping be changed so that grid lines are spaced by 70 pixels. This would make a new system spacing of only two grid lines, easy to work with, and the intermediate grid lines can be used for a passable imitation of a triangular/hexagonal arrangement.

The following users thanked this post: serger, Zap0

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 11:33:46 AM »
One thing i would like. I may be the only one is being able to make line.

Let say i use it to make a square around some system then use the labelling to mark this is the Sirius sector.

This is a fast example I made using snipping tool and paint.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, El Pip, Droll, nuclearslurpee

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
I would like to be able to see the grid that it is snapping to, I think that would be very helpful.
Also in VB you could change the spacing of the grid, I would like it if that was added.

Also I find the way selection/deselection works to be very unintuitive. I don't have Aurora over here (stupid tiny monitors) so I can't describe exactly what the current behaviour that bothers me so much.
Also IIRC you can't select a planet and labels at the same time, which is a problem if you need to re-arrange large portions of the map after you spent ages noting which planets/jump lanes have sensor bouys.

I would love it if the calculation of distance between systems was improved in two ways:
1) Take into account Lagrange points.
2) In cases where multiple routes are possible, display the distance of the shortest possible route, not the distance of the route with the fewest hops.
I would like these as well, and also an option to use the largest colony in the system as the starting point, rather than the primary star.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, nuclearslurpee

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
an option to use the largest colony in the system as the starting point, rather than the primary star.
It should actually default to that even if orbital mechanics make it a dynamic distance rather than a fixed one.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:11:53 AM »
  • Implement zooming. This one is pretty clear I think -- maps grow beyond what can fit on one screen very quickly, and it would be much easier to make sense of the map if we could zoom out.
Supported 100%.

Additionally if Steve could add an option to "Save Galactic Map to File" would also be great instead of having to stitch several screenshots together.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, BAGrimm, stabliser, Foxxonius Augustus, Vastrat, nuclearslurpee, ISN

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 01:27:46 PM »
I have a other maps suggestion. I come to realize this with my biggest empire yet finding a system can be hard. I know were are my colonies but if something happen to one of my exploration ship I probably don't know were the system is and I have to look at all the map.

It would be nice to have a research tool in the galactic maps, it could center the maps on the system you are looking for.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 01:37:18 PM »
I have a other maps suggestion. I come to realize this with my biggest empire yet finding a system can be hard. I know were are my colonies but if something happen to one of my exploration ship I probably don't know were the system is and I have to look at all the map.

It would be nice to have a research tool in the galactic maps, it could center the maps on the system you are looking for.

Not to say this isn't a good idea, but if you need to find a specific ship you can select it (or its fleet) in the Fleet Organization window with the checkbox to center the tactical map on the selected fleet enabled.

The following users thanked this post: Norm49

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 04:57:02 AM »
Nevertheless a "find it" field so search for systems might be useful.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 04:58:30 PM »
I would love a "find system" feature on the galactic map, I had a lot of problems finding systems in my last game.

Not to say this isn't a good idea, but if you need to find a specific ship you can select it (or its fleet) in the Fleet Organization window with the checkbox to center the tactical map on the selected fleet enabled.
I think this only helps you by going to the fleet in the system map, I don't think it does anything with the galactic map.
It would be nice to have an option to 'zoom to' or highlight the system on the galactic map when they are selected in the naval screen, or the system map.

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7, Sebmono

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 02:46:15 AM »
I find the galactic map rather frustrating to use, and the impression I've gotten here is that I'm not the only one. I think there are a couple ways the galactic map could be improved, some of which I think would be fairly easy to implement:
  • Wider grid spacing. Currently I find it very easy to accidentally misalign different parts of the map because the gaps between the points on the grid are very small. Put another way, there
The finer grid spacing allows for more creativity in arranging the map:

• Better grid snapping. To be honest I can't quite figure out what algorithm is being used to snap systems to the grid: sometimes it seems to be rounding to the nearest grid point, other
    times it seems to be rounding down, moving the system in the direction of the starting
Agreed. No matter how far apart the grid spacing is, the ideal way to do it is to have the map update live, as you drag things around. This requires a decent frame rate, and that requires a somewhat different mindset to achieve. Instead of dragging a system and then clicking a button to snap everything into place, the drag and drop system should update the map continuously, with the system already snapped into place. This gives the user a feedback mechanism that allows them to naturally adjust the system into the place they want it to be in one motion.

[/list]