Author Topic: Anyone use a kind of mental checklist to keep track of everything?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
Getting back into Aurora has reminded me about how complex things are. "Good, that research is done. Let's make a design based on it... Oh, I nearly forgot to start new research. Crap, some construction is idle; how long has that been going on? Wait, I'm about to run out of corundium!?"

Other than long experience and habit, how do you guys keep track of everything? I've taken to checking construction and research before I click to get the auto-turns rolling, but that's not really enough. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Anyone use a kind of mental checklist to keep track of everything?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Getting back into Aurora has reminded me about how complex things are. "Good, that research is done. Let's make a design based on it... Oh, I nearly forgot to start new research. Crap, some construction is idle; how long has that been going on? Wait, I'm about to run out of corundium!?"

Other than long experience and habit, how do you guys keep track of everything? I've taken to checking construction and research before I click to get the auto-turns rolling, but that's not really enough. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I have a custom made dashboard done in excel.

You can see screenshots of it on my AAR.

It currently includes:

Home page where all stats and graphs linked to the other pages are
Plan page for notes and remembering stuff
Shipyard page for all designs and other infos
Missile page
Terraforming page
Ground Forces page
Logistic page to remember sizes of buildings, workers minerals needed etc
DTS page

then there is a section for my government mod.

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
Well that's interesting... I'll have to look through your stuff for it.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
Well that's interesting... I'll have to look through your stuff for it.

It's not for public release so except for the screens and a portion of my government mod (I use a different and more complete complex one) there is nothing you can download.

This is the main naval screen

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:26:55 PM »
Well, THAT'S impressive. You've put a lot of effort into it for something that won't go public; neat.

I don't suppose you (or anyone) have anything simpler? Maybe a mnemonic, or even just a list of stuff you try to keep track of.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
In asking Reddit the same question, I've realized I wasn't very specific. I don't need help remembering statistics. I'm fine with looking up things regarding ship design, colony management, combat, etc.

What I really need help with is remembering tasks. I forget to check important things like research and construction, to update ship designs and components with new technologies, etc. I'm curious to know how you guys keep track of all the activities that are involved with playing Aurora.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
What is 'decommissioned'? Is it possible to mothball ships?

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »
Wait, what're we talking about?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:43:47 PM »
What is 'decommissioned'? Is it possible to mothball ships?

I have 3 classifications to help me in indentifying if I need to refit, rebuild or produce a new ship.

ACTIVE is a design which most likely have the technology ideal for the task without the need of an upgrade or simply the best technology is already installed.

OBSOLETE: is a design which has been surpassed by a better tech or there is simply no need for such ship as another may have taken over that role.

DECOMMISSIONED: is a ship which has reached its natural development and will not be produced anymore but still be used until declared obsolete.

By looking at my main screen I know immediately if I need to do something on my fleets in these terms.

The other info help me to identify if the range I am operating suits the purpose etc.

As statistics are dynamic by hiding a column on the main sheet I can take out what I don't need from the graph so I look at what I need rather than the whole picture.

This should also answer the question how I remember to upgrade techs etc.

Regarding other stuff I also use the map a lot using notes and labels. That again you can partially see in my latest aar update.

If used properly the galaxy map is a huge tool. I wish there were more options in it. I have tried to replicate it using world anvil and I must say, some integrations were amazing, only problem is maintenance to keep all up to date. If Steve is reading he may look into it?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:49:11 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
For construction and research, I use the queue!

If a research task or construction order are going to finish in the next year or so, I pretty much always have the next job queued up ready to go. For clear "programs" like developing the components for a new ship class or updating my ground units, I'll queue them all up at once and just wait. I do the same for constructing ground unit hierarchies; I'll order all the formations that go into the hierarchy at once.

That takes care of research and all forms of construction. For shipbuilding, I find that I don't really need to have a plan. When the slipways empty, it's time to decide what is going to happen next. Shipyard size and retooling takes more planning; I don't have a great way of handling that aside from trying to standardize my ship sizes.

I also make very heavy use of the prototype component feature. I build ships out of prototypes, then hit the research proto button on all the components that make it into the final design. Then I go queue up the parts! This way I don't forget what I wanted to do with the new tech, and I can start increasing my shipyard size if I need to since I know how big the new ships will be.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »

If a research task or construction order are going to finish in the next year or so, I pretty much always have the next job queued up ready to go. For clear "programs" like developing the components for a new ship class or updating my ground units, I'll queue them all up at once and just wait. I do the same for constructing ground unit hierarchies; I'll order all the formations that go into the hierarchy at once.

That takes care of research and all forms of construction. For shipbuilding, I find that I don't really need to have a plan. When the slipways empty, it's time to decide what is going to happen next. Shipyard size and retooling takes more planning; I don't have a great way of handling that aside from trying to standardize my ship sizes.

I also make very heavy use of the prototype component feature. I build ships out of prototypes, then hit the research proto button on all the components that make it into the final design. Then I go queue up the parts! This way I don't forget what I wanted to do with the new tech, and I can start increasing my shipyard size if I need to since I know how big the new ships will be.

Thank you so much for giving me things I can use. You're the best!

I don't know how I'd forgotten about queueing. That'll help a lot.

I haven't been able to find anything on how the prototyping feature works. Would you mind explaining it?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »

I haven't been able to find anything on how the prototyping feature works. Would you mind explaining it?

When you design stuff lookout for the prototype button. Prototype components cannot be built, however they can be included in designs without being researched by a scientist. They are supposed to help you actually design a ship without wasting your time to research sub-par garbage.

A ship design that has any prototype designs cannot be built or tooled for. In order to do that you have to (i forget where the button for this is) designate the prototypes to be researched, turning them into "research prototypes" and creating relevant research projects. Once these are researched the relevant component will be treated as a normal component and the ship design will be ready for tooling and construction in a shipyard.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »

When you design stuff lookout for the prototype button. Prototype components cannot be built, however they can be included in designs without being researched by a scientist. They are supposed to help you actually design a ship without wasting your time to research sub-par garbage.

A ship design that has any prototype designs cannot be built or tooled for. In order to do that you have to (i forget where the button for this is) designate the prototypes to be researched, turning them into "research prototypes" and creating relevant research projects. Once these are researched the relevant component will be treated as a normal component and the ship design will be ready for tooling and construction in a shipyard.

Oh, excellent! That helps a lot. I assume you can't prototype with techs you haven't researched yet? Like designing INTE when you could only actually build NTE?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »

Oh, excellent! That helps a lot. I assume you can't prototype with techs you haven't researched yet? Like designing INTE when you could only actually build NTE?

Actually when prototyping you can make designs that use the next technology in the line. However, such prototypes cannot be researched until you actually research their prerequisite tech.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »

Actually when prototyping you can make designs that use the next technology in the line. However, such prototypes cannot be researched until you actually research their prerequisite tech.

Actually there is a bug where "Future Prototypes" cannot be researched (these are prototypes made with the next tech in the line). You can still design the future prototype to design the ship, and then when the techs are available create an identical component to be researched once you have the requisite techs, which is a little bit more micromanagement but doable.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, Iestwyn