Author Topic: Dawn if the Age of the Empress  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Andrew (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Dawn if the Age of the Empress
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 06:37:54 AM »
It is widely considered by many Remembrancers that while the Unification was was both necessary and ineveitable and that the development of warp technologies by the heretic states of the Sol system was pushing for the launch of the campaign that other events caused the war to start early.
The precipitating event may well have been the release of a new Tri-D entertainment system by the Vice Lords of Venus, the series 'Secrets of the bedchambers of the Empress' had notable performers cast as the Empress, Lord Rogal Dorn, Lord  Lion El'Jonson , Lady Galadrial and Lady Mary Webster the 4 commanders of the legions but all records of the show were destroyed during the invasion of Venus with the studio being an early target of the Order of the Bloody Rose who annihlated the buildings and employees of the company in a 'regrettable incident of collateral damage' caused by the only orbital strike launched by the 'BBG Iron Requiem during the campaign.

Despite its precipitate luanch while the 3rd Guard Rifle Corp 'Euras' was still being trained and the ships of the 2nd Crusade fleet were still in the yards the campaign went well. The Vice Lords of Venus seemed unnable to believe that the Terrans would dare to attack them as they failed to respond to the Combined Legion forces and 1st Crusade fleet moving to around 166k from Venus

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:54:44 AM by Andrew »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »
Hopefully this one starts off bug-free this time!

I note that your fighters are using the reduced-shots railguns to mount 20 cm rather than 10 cm, of which I heartily approve as this is clearly the correct use of the reduced-shots feature, rather than making piddly 100-ton fighters with 10 cm peashooters.

I've actually noticed that the best use of the feature seems to be mounting large-caliber railguns with reduced shots on capital ships. The downside is that you do mount a smaller broadside and thus alpha strike, however you can easily mount the capacitors to fire a massive railgun every 5s thus allowing, with a sufficient investment into reactors, an absolutely devastating amount of DPS.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline Andrew (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »
The NPR's most definetly have ground forces this time. There was another setup inbetween where they did not, so this time Extra player controlled races existed on each planet long enough to transfer ground troops to the NPR's. No doubt this time they did spawn their own troops and I have now made conquering them that much harder

I nearly had the Kinetic Frigates and Planatery defense batterries with single shot 20CM rail cannon, you can get a lot of them and I suspect that over the reload time of the full size gun you may actually get more shots from the equivalant size of single shot guns firing every 5 seconds. I never even considered 10cm guns on the fighters this is the Empire even 20cm guns are really a bit puny, what is missing I found was a chainsword attachment for the fighters so i could fly over and hit the enemy ships.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Andrew (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 12:06:13 PM »
And a new fatal error. While setting up the weapon directors of the ships I have broken the Index on the table storing them. Ooops

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
I nearly had the Kinetic Frigates and Planatery defense batterries with single shot 20CM rail cannon, you can get a lot of them and I suspect that over the reload time of the full size gun you may actually get more shots from the equivalant size of single shot guns firing every 5 seconds.

I've checked and you can get more than double the DPS by using single-shot railguns of large caliber as opposed to full-size, due to being able to use a smaller capacitor and still get 5s reloads. You do lose about 25% of the broadside to accomplish this, but this is probably negligible compared to more than doubling the DPS. I'm actually a bit worried that this might become a new "meta", although as this is a single-player game it is not hard to house-rule about it and it does allow heavy guns to contribute more effectively to point defense which may reduce the dominance of box launchers.

I never even considered 10cm guns on the fighters this is the Empire even 20cm guns are really a bit puny, what is missing I found was a chainsword attachment for the fighters so i could fly over and hit the enemy ships.

Good man.

And a new fatal error. While setting up the weapon directors of the ships I have broken the Index on the table storing them. Ooops

Clearly Aurora is not able to handle the sheer mightitude of the Empire!

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline Andrew (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
No it is me and C# based databases. I am at work trying to debug one and that database has been curse with disasters for over a year, clearly whichever mirror I broke on the head of a black cat under a ladder can cross computer and database boundaries

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
The setting looks interesting but, uhhh... is there a proper intro planned? Because the opening left me severely confused and overwhelmed, like thanks to the later posts I eventually acknowledged there are humans living on Earth, Mars, Venus, Europa and Moon and the four later are about to fight with the ones from Earth, but that's about it... The intro felt way too rushed and overwhelming with a smegload of stuff mentioned at once. It felt as if I suddenly started accelerating, with both speed AND acceleration increasing to the crushing amount of Gs. Please have mercy next time, I can't handle such amount of info dumped at me at superluminal speed.

Offline Andrew (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 05:34:14 PM »
I am going to see if I can actually get anywhere before returning to a write up. I will try to improve over the original when I do.