Author Topic: Ultor Class Orbital Mining Station  (Read 1296 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Ultor Class Orbital Mining Station
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
Code: [Select]
Ultor class Orbital Mining Station      627,327 tons       65 Crew       501.6 BP       TCS 12,547    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 32      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 0    Max Repair 200 MSP
Cargo 125,000    Habitation Capacity 200,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 1   
Starpilot    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes
This design is classed as a i for auto-assignment purposes

- A pretty simple design that I'm using in my latest 1.13 run; the Ultor-Class is meant to carriage 4x Manned Mines and a single Mass Driver. It is moved via tug. The name Ultor is a placeholder, but is borrowed from the Evil Corporationtm of Red Faction. Red Faction was about a miner uprising on Mars, btw. With Conventional Cargo Shuttles, that single bay can unload everything in about a month, which isn't great, but it's not terrible either.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:02:55 AM by xenoscepter »

Offline DeMatt

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
Re: Ultor Class Orbital Mining Station
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
It's an interesting concept... but I seem to recall that Orbital Habitats cannot move with their colonists.  You'd need to include Cryogenic Transport space and load up the workers before you could move on.

Maybe use Automines instead?  Then you could discard the Orbital Habitats, instead bulking up on Crew Quarters if you wanted to pretend there were miners on the station.  I'm assuming this is for bodies too large for the Orbital Mining Module.

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
Code: [Select]
Ultor class Orbital Mining Station      627,327 tons       65 Crew       501.6 BP       TCS 12,547    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 32      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 0    Max Repair 200 MSP
Cargo 125,000    Habitation Capacity 200,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 1   
Starpilot    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes
This design is classed as a i for auto-assignment purposes

- A pretty simple design that I'm using in my latest 1.13 run; the Ultor-Class is meant to carriage 4x Manned Mines and a single Mass Driver. It is moved via tug. The name Ultor is a placeholder, but is borrowed from the Evil Corporationtm of Red Faction. Red Faction was about a miner uprising on Mars, btw. With Conventional Cargo Shuttles, that single bay can unload everything in about a month, which isn't great, but it's not terrible either.

This plus 4 surface mines has a total cost of 981.6
You'd mine the same amount by just using 4 automines, which would cost 960, doesn't require population, and is loads easier to manage.

I guess the benefit of using orbital hab is that you are generating tax income.
That seems a pretty thin advantage for all the extra logistics.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
if youve got a terraforming candidate, especially a remote one, this will let you build up bodies and mines on site while the terraformers chug, lets you get kind of a rolling start.  it also saves corundium compared to automines.  corundium crunches are deadly but they only seem to happen as a result of building lots of automines.

i would definitely take off the cargo capacity.  dragging orbitats is rage-inducingly slow already, and since youve got to devote shipping to this plan anyway, just ship the mass driver separately.  also, you'll probably want to deploy them in numbers so the cargo capacity becomes highly redundant.

id just leave the mass drivers out of the equation entirely, tho apparently this is a minority viewpoint.  with asteroid miners often you wind up at a site that you mine out fairly quickly, and just picking up all the minerals when you come back to redeploy the miner is fine, and i imagine similar use-case with this set-up.  mineral packets are the devil anyway, and having a mass driver operating far below capacity is pretty wasteful of both in-game and cpu resources.