Author Topic: Fighter Module  (Read 5476 times)

Offline ArcWolf (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: Fighter Module
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 10:18:37 PM »
That is an interesting idea for micro-fighters.

How does the damage output (let's say at 50% chance) compare to equal tech single-shot railguns that still fire every 5 sec, tonnage wise? Could I stack a battleship full of these and unleash hell at 10,000 km?

I tried to balance them off the 10cm single shot railguns. So, 2x5cm autocannons would on average do the same damage as 1xSS10cm railgun per 5sec increment. and with roughly the same weight. SS 10cms would win out in weight in large numbers though because of the efficiency of larger power plants.

10xSS10cm Railguns + 1 30%bosted Reactor = (140+ (10*48.75)) = 627.5 Tons
20x 5cm AC = 20*40 = 800 tons

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 11:47:36 PM »
You have to be careful of the same system being present on capital ships. If you have a weapon that does, say, 25% of the damage of a single-shot 10cm railgun (49 tons) and is 25% of the size, then you actually have a problem where the smaller version is superior due to increased HTK slots, albeit this is a relatively minor advantage. This is why Steve set up the reduced-shot railguns to be slightly less tonnage-efficient than the four-shot versions. Therefore you will want to have some addition to ensure that the smaller weapon does not displace the larger weapon on large ships.

There should also be a reasonable tech progression to feel in line with the other weapon types. Given this I think probably the best (and simplest) implementation would be to extend the low range of the Gauss Cannon to perhaps 0.25 HS (12.5 tons) with 4% base accuracy - you can actually do this pretty trivially with a single DB edit if you want to try it in your own games by adding a line to the FCT_TechSystem table. This way, the "autocannons" benefit from improvements in Gauss ROF (and range, not that anyone cares) and the existing balance between components is unaffected. I also note that this way no new ammo consumption mechanic is needed which I would consider a good thing as I would not want the added micromanagement, as missiles are quite enough to keep track of in my humble opinion.

Offline ArcWolf (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 09:53:31 PM »

There should also be a reasonable tech progression to feel in line with the other weapon types.

There is some tech progression, though it was at the end of a paragraph so if you were skimming you might have missed it. In short a tech that increases the pen chance by 1% per level up to 10%. It could be more then 1% per level, but i would not go above 3% per level because that would add up to a 30% additional pen chance at max-tech.

Given this I think probably the best (and simplest) implementation would be to extend the low range of the Gauss Cannon to perhaps 0.25 HS (12.5 tons) with 4% base accuracy - you can actually do this pretty trivially with a single DB edit if you want to try it in your own games by adding a line to the FCT_TechSystem table.

Good idea, i've played with adding a weapon system before but broke my db (had backups) but just gave this a try and works well enough. Will probably use it in my next campaign.

Online El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2022, 02:40:20 AM »
Good idea, i've played with adding a weapon system before but broke my db (had backups) but just gave this a try and works well enough. Will probably use it in my next campaign.
I think you will find it disappointing, or at least I did after a quick look. In my test game I can get a 16km/s fighter with a 4% hit gauss gun in ~70tonnes. Or I can go to 200t and on the same speed fit a single shot rail gun with a longer ranged BFC.

The small fighters would get three to one advantage (assuming equal tonnage/BP) and the Gauss ROF, but they have to overcome the 4% vs 100% hit chance and the fact the 200t fighter has the better BFC. I don't think it ends well for the tiny fighters.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 08:01:14 AM »
Single shot 12 cm railguns are the way to go, as they can penetrate 1 layer of armor. These are 33 tons well spent, when it comes to engaging light craft. The low amount of internal HTK means, that the first hit is oftentimes crippling. Fighters armed with those are extremely good at hitting enemy civilian vessels as well.