Author Topic: Artemis  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
Artemis
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »
I am talking about Artemis the Starship Bridge Simulator. Has anyone played it? Its a game for six people on six different computers in the same room. And you play various positions on the bridge of a starship. I haven't played it before but the videos I have seen of people playing it look great.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Artemis
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
It looks amazing but I've never been able to get enough friends in the same city to try. Definitely want to give it a go.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
It looks amazing but I've never been able to get enough friends in the same city to try. Definitely want to give it a go.
I think that is the biggest problem facing people who like to do group games of any kind. If everyone has to be in the same place you can never find enough people who can commit and want to commit.

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
A friend of mine has played it and it looks incredible. 

And for those less familiar with the game, I recommend starting with this video

I also recommend uniforms if you're going to play :)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
yeah see that's what I would do.

When I worked abroad I lived in an apartment with two geeks and we would play defcon in a room done up like a bunker, with uniforms and everything. I love RPing like that.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Thyrann

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 05:33:59 AM »
That is a hillarious game. . .

We have played it several times with friends and we just organised an Artemis line in small Local CON.  Really looking forward to that. 

I almost lost my voice laughing as i played it last time as a skipper. 

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
I did host it at home with 5 friends over, but it felt a little to shallow to be possible to really enjoy the game.
IMO, all the "tasks" were too simple, little to no skill required.

I really loved the cooperation and the whole idea of a Captain doing nothing but ordering people around, and it was great fun for a few hours until everyone had mastered basically every roll there was and could almost fly, fight and win without any captain input.

Some more random/skill-based components would have been cool, like actually aiming a bit. And stuff happening that requires you adapting more and coordinate more, as well as a better system allowing you to engage in more diplomacy.

As an example I would like to see the coms being able to get the hands of a better laser, science/helm tasked figuring out where to pick it up, the engineer gets a task to re-install the more powerful laser, and if the weapons guy fires before it's properly installed half the ship blows up :)    ( perhaps with a random chance it will work anyways so the Captain get a tough call in case you are ambushed without the main weapon ).

So great potential but not quite there yet.

Will be interesting to see other games with a bit similar theme like http://pulsarthegame.com/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:54:33 PM by alex_brunius »