Author Topic: Deeds on the Frontier - Comments  (Read 3112 times)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Deeds on the Frontier - Comments
« on: January 07, 2023, 11:08:53 PM »
Any Comments can be posted here for the purposes of formatting, any and all are appreciated.

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Deeds on the Frontier - Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 02:42:46 AM »
The Gorgon's had better hope that this unknown adversary is slow moving and/or passive. A decade is a long time and the enemy is just one jump from Sol, the 'Frontier' is very close indeed.

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:38:25 AM »
Space is a big place, however yes that is their wishful thinking.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 02:29:55 AM »
I enjoy the standard 'no need for a space navy' until the first explorers become exploders. At which point the government panics, scrambles, and has to throw together a fully functional navy within a year or two. Bonus points if there has been no research into offensive and defensive components, because why do you need lasers, shields and missiles when humanity is obviously alone in the universe and united in a single, peaceful government?

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 10:52:25 AM »
That is the classic aurora conundrum, "what do you mean we should of built a navy!" "humanity is clearly alone and will control the entire galaxy, stop talking such nonsense!" 

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 09:35:11 PM »
I would suggest that to improve readability, you put the speech lines, where a character is talking, separate from the description lines. For example:

The commodore walked across the shuttle deck of the newly built cruiser, admiring the fresh paint covering its bulkheads. He turned to his side, a fresh faced young lieutenant and whispered:
"To be honest, I have no idea what I'm supposed to inspect here so let's just waste some time looking at the paint."
The aide, struggling to keep his pokerface intact, could only nod in agreement.

Hope that helps. Also, browsers should have an inbuilt basic spell checker that helps with punctuation and capitalization, which are also important for readability.