Author Topic: Book Recommendation  (Read 4144 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Book Recommendation
« on: June 11, 2022, 11:05:08 AM »
I don't put many book recommendations on here, but this struck me as something that Aurora players might enjoy. Its about a war in 1987 from the perspective of several B-52 crews. There is minimal characterization and it is extremely detailed, but its pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about B-52s but were afraid to ask.

https://www.amazon.com/ALERT-FORCE-KLAXON-THROUGH-WARRIORS-ebook/dp/B08J43SMHC

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Neophyte, Black, BAGrimm, Warer, skoormit, Vastrat, nakorkren, lumporr

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
Re: Book Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 07:19:31 AM »
Hmmm not really something that strikes me as something Aurora players would like in particular but Red Rising by Pierce Brown is a pretty good sci-fi story about a revolution against an oppressive gene cast based society....well that and I got the board game for my birthday so wanted to brag about that.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rising-Book-ebook/dp/B00CVS2J80/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=red+rising&qid=1655036329&s=digital-text&sprefix=red+rising%2Cdigital-text%2C191&sr=1-1

Offline MeatyBoii

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 03:27:42 PM »
As this is a book recommendation topic, I'll ask for one.

I like "hard"/hardish sci-fi.  Really enjoyed The Lost Fleet books (action yes, characters not so much).  Are there series that are similar to it, preferably without all the tacked on romance stuff and characters stiffer than during a funeral?

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 08:54:08 PM »
Passage at Arms and The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. Weber and White wrote the Starfire books Insurrection, Crusade, In Death Ground and The Shiva Option. The fleet combat will be really familiar to you. Walter Jon Williams's Dread Empire's Fall Series: The Praxis, The Sundering, and Conventions of War.

Then there are other authors/series that are more focused on small unit action, space marine stuff, but with some space ship battles included as well. John Ringo's Looking Glass series: Into the Looking Class, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch. First book is classic aliens invade Earth stuff with a scientist & soldier protagonist-pair, then the second book takes a turn towards Star Trek-style space exploration. Then there's the three series - Heritage Trilogy, Inheritance Trilogy and the Legacy Trilogy - by Ian Douglas (aka William Keith). It starts with various Earth powers fighting among themselves until aliens show up and the fighting moves to the stars. Lot of small-unit infantry action, with protagonists changing as the years (and later decades) pass. It starts with little silly, with US at war with French-led United Nations but gets better as it goes along.

For harder sci-fi, try Peter F Hamilton. Both the Night's Dawn trilogy and the two-parter Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained. Lot of cool concepts, lot of characters, lot of action. Be warned that these are HUGE books, it'll take a while to read them. I haven't read the sequels, Void Trilogy, but it has received praise too.

The following users thanked this post: hubgbf

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 10:13:42 PM »
I enjoyed JAG in Space by John G. Hemry. As the series name suggests, it's about a naval JAG officer but it's set in space. The first book is "A Just Determination."

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:14:45 PM »
Passage at Arms and The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. Weber and White wrote the Starfire books Insurrection, Crusade, In Death Ground and The Shiva Option. The fleet combat will be really familiar to you. Walter Jon Williams's Dread Empire's Fall Series: The Praxis, The Sundering, and Conventions of War.

Then there are other authors/series that are more focused on small unit action, space marine stuff, but with some space ship battles included as well. John Ringo's Looking Glass series: Into the Looking Class, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch. First book is classic aliens invade Earth stuff with a scientist & soldier protagonist-pair, then the second book takes a turn towards Star Trek-style space exploration. Then there's the three series - Heritage Trilogy, Inheritance Trilogy and the Legacy Trilogy - by Ian Douglas (aka William Keith). It starts with various Earth powers fighting among themselves until aliens show up and the fighting moves to the stars. Lot of small-unit infantry action, with protagonists changing as the years (and later decades) pass. It starts with little silly, with US at war with French-led United Nations but gets better as it goes along.

For harder sci-fi, try Peter F Hamilton. Both the Night's Dawn trilogy and the two-parter Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained. Lot of cool concepts, lot of characters, lot of action. Be warned that these are HUGE books, it'll take a while to read them. I haven't read the sequels, Void Trilogy, but it has received praise too.

Glenn Cook is great, The Black Company is dark fantasy and my first introduction to the author.

Weber also has the Honor Harrington series which is huge, recently he has a series that starts with "Out of the darkness" and then another series that starts with "Governor" (which is actually a prequel to hif "Fury" series).

I have read almost everything that Glynn Stewart has written, https://www.glynnstewart.com/books/ , he has a bunch of different sci-fi universes and fantasy universes.