Author Topic: Best Greenhouse Gas  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Adseria (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Best Greenhouse Gas
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:38:23 AM »
The generic "safe greenhouse gas" has been removed, and carbon dioxide has been made a dangerous gas. Does this mean that there is now no good greenhouse gas, or am I missing something?

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
Re: Best Greenhouse Gas
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »
safe greenhouse gas is still there, just renamed to aestustium.
Anti Greenhouse gas is named Frigisium.

The following users thanked this post: Adseria

Offline Adseria (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
safe greenhouse gas is still there, just renamed to aestustium.
Anti Greenhouse gas is named Frigisium.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »
Not sure how CO2 became dangerous, guess there will be no plants on new worlds...   ::)
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:55:28 AM »
Not sure how CO2 became dangerous, guess there will be no plants on new worlds...   ::)
It's dangerous because... it's dangerous past certain concentrations. You can have up to 0.5% of a planet's atmosphere be CO2 though. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101987#msg101987

I always laughed a bit when I read people posting about making Mars inhabitable without the Safe Greenhouse Gas. Instead the atmosphere'd be 20% CO2, whoops.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »

Basic chemistry.  Acidifying the bloodstream.  Poisoning the body.  Displacing the oxygen from red blood cells.

I guess that means basic biology as well.

Carbon dioxide in high concentrations is dangerous to oxygen-breathing life forms.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=11007. msg126952#msg126952 date=1587574343
Quote from: Pedroig link=topic=11007. msg126913#msg126913 date=1587570042
Not sure how CO2 became dangerous, guess there will be no plants on new worlds. . .    ::)

Basic chemistry.   Acidifying the bloodstream.   Poisoning the body.   Displacing the oxygen from red blood cells.

Carbon dioxide in high concentrations is dangerous to oxygen-breathing life forms.

Yes but what uses C02 to create O2? Plants.  Its dangerous to us humans.  And to some plants in extremely high amounts.  But if you are trying to terraform a world w/a high CO2 level.  Then the best way to terraform it would be to transplant massive plants or just move chunks of forests or something.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »

Basic chemistry.  Acidifying the bloodstream.  Poisoning the body.  Displacing the oxygen from red blood cells.

Oxygen in high concentrations is dangerous to oxygen-breathing life forms.  So guess it needs to be a dangerous gas as well?  Basic chemistry afterall...

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
You're in luck Pedroig - oxygen IS a dangerous gas once the atmosphere of a body is more than 30% oxygen!

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
Yes, so same logic should apply to CO2 or for Water for that matter...

Chlorine is a dangerous gas.  It gets warning labels and everything.  ;)

Everything else, moderation is key, too much of anything can be dangerous to living, and a small set of those life needs a minimum amount to survive.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
You're in luck Pedroig - oxygen IS a dangerous gas once the atmosphere of a body is more than 30% oxygen!

So is basically every other gas we breath on a daily basis. All of them should be labelled as dangerous honestly. But, its Steve's game. His decision.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »

Everything else, moderation is key, too much of anything can be dangerous to living, and a small set of those life needs a minimum amount to survive.

I think its really stupid to make an entire world that is water honestly. I dont see much point in it. What are you going to do with it? Orbital fishing platforms or something?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
Yes but what uses C02 to create O2? Plants.  Its dangerous to us humans.  And to some plants in extremely high amounts.  But if you are trying to terraform a world w/a high CO2 level.  Then the best way to terraform it would be to transplant massive plants or just move chunks of forests or something.

So who says 'terraforming to remove CO2' isn't adding massive amounts of plants?  My TF installations are certainly spraying vast amounts of lichen, moss, and blue-green algae across the world.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »

And it does!  Carbon Dioxide is only a dangerous gas above a certain concentration. . . exactly the same as Oxygen.

And if you add enough water vapour, it condenses out and alters the hydrosphere, eventually reducing the max population due to lack of living space.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »

So who says 'terraforming to remove CO2' isn't adding massive amounts of plants?  My TF installations are certainly spraying vast amounts of lichen, moss, and blue-green algae across the world.

You mean you don't:

;D ;)

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage