Author Topic: Combined Geo and Grav Survey Crafts  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Wieseltrupp (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
Combined Geo and Grav Survey Crafts
« on: April 22, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
Are Combined Exploration crafts still viable as they where before the Event bug got fixed?

A Explorer Craft that has Geo and Grav Survey equipment with corresponding Standing Orders will, just as it did before, start a Grav Survey Scan(Secondary Standing Order) after it cant find a suitable Planet for the Geo Survey (Primary Standing Order). As of 1.8.0, this ship will throw an Event every turn that it cant execute its Primary Standing Order though as soon as it finished the Geo Surveys in the system. For the Survey Fleet to stop interrupting the Autoturns every turn, the only Workarounds i see are:
-Split Geo and Grav Survey between different Fleets
-Change the Primary Standing Order on demand (Change the Primary Order to Grav after you completed the Geo Survey)

I actually liked the idea of the Exploration cruiser that could do both tasks and thought at first that the missing Autoturn interruptions because of the Geo/Grav Surveys that cant find a target are an advancement over the VB6 version
Fleets where more or less automatically Surveying the star systems and only had to be Managed when their Deployment timer or MSP neared the class Limits.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Combined Geo and Grav Survey Crafts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
You could swap the primary-secondary orders so that you grav-survey first and geo-survey second.

The following users thanked this post: Wieseltrupp

Offline Wieseltrupp (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:02:48 PM »
That seems to did the trick.
The Exploration Fleets arent complaining anymore as it seems at first glance

EDIT
now they start to complain when the Grav points got surveyed. the game should be only interrupted if both Standing Orders cant be executed imho
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:21:02 PM by Wieseltrupp »

The following users thanked this post: Narhalles

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »
You should go ahead and throw that idea into the suggestions thread, it seems pretty reasonable.

The following users thanked this post: Marslettuce, Narhalles

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »
That seems to did the trick.
The Exploration Fleets arent complaining anymore as it seems at first glance

EDIT
now they start to complain when the Grav points got surveyed. the game should be only interrupted if both Standing Orders cant be executed imho
Maybe it should warn but not interrupt you if some standing orders can't be executed.  So for instance you would be informed your geosurvey was complete so you could exploit it immediately if you wanted.

Offline Wieseltrupp (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
when the Standing Order only warns but not interrupt, we would be back at the "my survey crafts silently stop working after surveying a System" -state and most of the users did not seem to like this behaviour, me included

The following users thanked this post: Marslettuce

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
Whilst I agree the standing orders system is a little rough around the edges at the moment, it hardly makes combined ships non-viable to have to just click the primary order across once it's done one or the other.

The following users thanked this post: Wieseltrupp

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
Whilst I agree the standing orders system is a little rough around the edges at the moment, it hardly makes combined ships non-viable to have to just click the primary order across once it's done one or the other.

Yeah, that's where my head's at too.

Offline Wieseltrupp (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:15:38 AM »
for the time beeing i just give a primary order wich a switch around as needed like Person012345 mentioned.
i do hope that the interrupt behaviour of the standing orders gets changed though, i try to bring it up again in a couple of weeks when the Dev does not deny the request. the way i see it, he has hardly any time to look through all suggestions, let alone bug requests at the moment

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 06:42:28 AM »
when the Standing Order only warns but not interrupt, we would be back at the "my survey crafts silently stop working after surveying a System" -state and most of the users did not seem to like this behaviour, me included
The problem there is that there was no notification when the ship went idle.  In this case the ship has valid orders so it should keep quiet and get to work instead of spamming my inbox with spurious alerts.