Author Topic: ELINT functionality  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
ELINT functionality
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
By my reading of the changes, an ELINT is supposed to have a built in EM sensor. The class summary line makes it look like a Size 1 sensor.

Am I reading that right, or missing something because it doesn't seem to be working that way?

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: ELINT functionality
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
Why doesn't it seem to be working that way?

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
I designed a spy ship with an ELINT and it couldn't detect a population it should have if it functioned like a Size 1 EM sensor. Had to SM in a Size 1 to get it to work. If I was reading the changes right, that seems like a bug to be reported, but wasn't sure I was reading right.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
I designed a spy ship with an ELINT and it couldn't detect a population it should have if it functioned like a Size 1 EM sensor. Had to SM in a Size 1 to get it to work. If I was reading the changes right, that seems like a bug to be reported, but wasn't sure I was reading right.

Well if this is true I think it is a bug.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:43:53 PM »
The ELINT module have its own EM sensor tech line so it does not necessarily have to follow what a normal size 1 EM have... did you check what EM strength it actually had and did not assume it would be the same as a normal size 1 EM sensor?

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »
Yes... It showed the same stats as the Size 1 I SM'd in.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »
By my reading of the changes, an ELINT is supposed to have a built in EM sensor. The class summary line makes it look like a Size 1 sensor.

Am I reading that right, or missing something because it doesn't seem to be working that way?

Can confirm. Same thing happened to me today. An ELINT-only ship did not register a known population well within range. I SM-added a size 1 EM sensor, and the population showed up, and I started gaining intel points.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 04:23:11 AM »
Is it not the case that the ELINT range simply works off your EM sensor tech level?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 07:10:29 AM »
Is it not the case that the ELINT range simply works off your EM sensor tech level?
The problem is that ELINT is supposed to include an EM sensor but that part isn't working.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
A suggested fix:  Have the ELINT research enable a checkbox for EM sensors making it ELINT capable, regardless of size.  Increasing cost and HS multiplier automatically.  Same result as intended, just more streamlined and modular, side benefit of being able to "add" like features in the future anywhere.
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Shodan13

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
A suggested fix:  Have the ELINT research enable a checkbox for EM sensors making it ELINT capable, regardless of size.  Increasing cost and HS multiplier automatically.  Same result as intended, just more streamlined and modular, side benefit of being able to "add" like features in the future anywhere.
This would also solve having to basically re-research EM sensor strength as ELINT modules, making no sense.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit