Author Topic: Ground force Commander / HQ testing  (Read 1491 times)

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
Ground force Commander / HQ testing
« on: May 28, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »
First of all, commanders are key to ground combat as the bonuses they give are huge.

The bonuses do not currently pass on in the hierarchies.

Some testing I have done reveals the following about both HQ and ground combat command:

They only need to cover the formation they are in, not the formation and it's children.

To make a Hierarchy an HQ only needs to be larger so if your army is a standard size per formation you can just make the HQ's 2000, 2001, 2002 to make them work together as support hierarchy.

That being said, it seems larger formations do better in combat so using the element transfer to put all your ground forces into 3 formations (1 for rear, 1 for support, 1 for front line) and having HQ's and leaders appropriate sized for them would be ideal, if your front line is larger than your support you would be force to split it up into multiple formations as needed in order to keep the HQ bonus which again is key to winning combat. Splitting up formations into a bunch of tiny ones seems to be a micro-management hell that does not offer much on benefits.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ground force Commander / HQ testing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:58:02 PM »
First of all, commanders are key to ground combat as the bonuses they give are huge.

Some testing I have done reveals the following about both HQ and ground combat command:

They only need to cover the formation they are in, not the formation and it's children.

To make a Hierarchy an HQ only needs to be larger so if your army is a standard size per formation you can just make the HQ's 2000, 2001, 2002 to make them work together as support hierarchy.

That being said, it seems larger formations do better in combat so using the element transfer to put all your ground forces into 3 formations (1 for rear, 1 for support, 1 for front line) and having HQ's and leaders appropriate sized for them would be ideal, if your front line is larger than your support you would be force to split it up into multiple formations as needed in order to keep the HQ bonus which again is key to winning combat. Splitting up formations into a bunch of tiny ones seems to be a micro-management hell that does not offer much on benefits.

That's true, my first attempts were with base of 1,000 tons for a company of 5,000t and a brigade of 25,000t (total) for divisions of 100,000t (total). As you soon pretty much ending just adding HQs and for the reasons you have also described I ended up with units of 5,000 tons companies  for brigades of 25,000t and divisions of 100,000t. This worked well however wasn't just enough. I've found my balance with straight up Brigades of 25,000t for divisions of 150,000t (total). I move up ranks with big Corps if required (350,000t-500,00t total).

I then use Companies of 10,000 for construction groups, xenos etc or mostly protection of small rocks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:03:44 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »

I wonder if that's a bug...?  Looking at the image Steve posted back here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105832#msg105832  he has a division formation template with about 10k size, and a 250k HQ.  And the size of some commanders' gcc bonuses would fit with that.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
Obviously a bug.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »

I wonder if that's a bug...?  Looking at the image Steve posted back here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105832#msg105832  he has a division formation template with about 10k size, and a 250k HQ.  And the size of some commanders' gcc bonuses would fit with that.

I found like 10 bugs in ground combat on 1.1 and am retesting them all for 1.11. I already reported this one tho.

The following users thanked this post: mike2R

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »

I can confirm that. Bonuses don't pass down in hierarchies and the superior formation commander needs the Ground Combat Command on a level to cover his formation elements only.

I have however, encountered some weird behaviours. I hope others can confirm those, especially for 1.11.0 (I've tested with 1.10.0).
  • I have found, that units using their internal supply fight as if out-of-supply. There is no difference whether their supply is at 100%, 0% or anything in between. As long as they don't receive supply from outside their formation, they attack with 25% elements.
  • Formations don't recover their internal supply levels, when logistical elements become available (though they seem to consume more of them).
  • Logistical vehicles are consumed while not providing supply, but only when attached to a superior formation that has a fighting formation attached as well.
  • Logistical vehicles don't provide supply to other siblings in a hierarchy - that might WAI.
Also, I'm not sure, that Ground Combat Logistics skill does anything, or at least anything significant.
I've attached my test DB for Aurora 1.10.0.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, serger, Tikhun

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »

I can confirm that. Bonuses don't pass down in hierarchies and the superior formation commander needs the Ground Combat Command on a level to cover his formation elements only.

I have however, encountered some weird behaviours. I hope others can confirm those, especially for 1.11.0 (I've tested with 1.10.0).
  • I have found, that units using their internal supply fight as if out-of-supply. There is no difference whether their supply is at 100%, 0% or anything in between. As long as they don't receive supply from outside their formation, they attack with 25% elements.
  • Formations don't recover their internal supply levels, when logistical elements become available (though they seem to consume more of them).
  • Logistical vehicles are consumed while not providing supply, but only when attached to a superior formation that has a fighting formation attached as well.
  • Logistical vehicles don't provide supply to other siblings in a hierarchy - that might WAI.
Also, I'm not sure, that Ground Combat Logistics skill does anything, or at least anything significant.
I've attached my test DB for Aurora 1.10.0.

mind posting these bugs in the 1.11 bug thread? I am tired of testing ground combat for today haha.