Author Topic: bogdown  (Read 2468 times)

Offline misanthropope (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • m
bogdown
« on: December 16, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »
got a perplexing problem and nothing i've found scumming through this forum has helped.

ive got version 137, i don't believe there has ever been another version on this machine. 

when i start the game, im stuck waiting on Godot (so to speak).  sometimes, after i wait a really long time, like a minute, it goes to the game select page on its own, but i found if i resize the window it will go to the game select page immediately.  but the same kind of behavior persists; i have to wait half a minute from the moment i hit "select" to see the familiar game menus, and each window i try to open takes its sweet, sweet time.  this game has not yet advanced 5 seconds, and nothing the starting setup is bog standard.

ive installed (and repaired) visual c++, i've tried deleting the sqlite, makes no difference.  my graphics card is running 2 YO drivers, but i am warned that more current drivers are "generic" and shouldn't be used to replace my existing "custom" ones.  the machine is unambiguously a POS, but runs the various aurori without problem.

i noted while the game was running that the collision "process" was running about 5% of cpu, which doesn't seem to be enough to cause the problem, but is about 20 times my baseline. 

is there anything obvious to try other than "damn the 'custom' drivers" or "get a non-trash laptop"?

thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:48:39 AM by Kyle »

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Re: bogdown
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:52:23 AM »
Yeah I have no idea, sorry :\   Good 3d drivers are a must unfortunately since I use GL shading language to draw circles quickly.  But it sounds more like there may be some delays caused by reading and writing to the db that's stored on your disk as well.  An SSD would definitely help.

The following users thanked this post: AJS1956

Online Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: bogdown
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
but i am warned that more current drivers are "generic" and shouldn't be used to replace my existing "custom" ones.
I know this might be far too late for you but this is only relevant if they are roughly the same date, ie from  inside the same 1-3 month period. If your custom drivers are older than 3 months compared to the manufacturer generic drivers, you should update.