Author Topic: Colony Defenses  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Colony Defenses
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:19:41 AM »
What is the best way to defend your colonies and control your space?

STO's are limited due to range, but I imagine having enough of them on the ground would make ground invasion impossible since transports would just get blasted out of the sky by un-interceptable beam weapons. Pretty sure you can make STO's into PD weapons as well to prevent being bombarded from long range.

For orbital defenses, I think making fighter-sized missile launchers supported by fighter-sized active sensor craft (both with no engines) would be best. You want them to be fighter sized so they can be easily built and transported to frontier worlds.

But what about FACs and other small ships, is it worth stationing them at colonies? To this day, I haven't been able to build a FAC-sized combat ship I thought was worthwhile.

And I suppose you could always cheese things by camping heavy beam ships on jump points to immediately shoot the enemy to bits. They'd have to rotate in and out as their deployment dictates, but I imagine if engines and range aren't a concern you can build some pretty beefy monitor ships.

Hangar outposts on remote rocks seem interesting, but anything that needs missiles would be a pain in the ass logistically as you'd want to update the stockpile whenever you get a new model. And God help you if you decide to change missile sizes...

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Colony Defenses
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:37:03 AM »

STO's are limited due to range, but I imagine having enough of them on the ground would make ground invasion impossible since transports would just get blasted out of the sky by un-interceptable beam weapons. Pretty sure you can make STO's into PD weapons as well to prevent being bombarded from long range.

For orbital defenses, I think making fighter-sized missile launchers supported by fighter-sized active sensor craft (both with no engines) would be best. You want them to be fighter sized so they can be easily built and transported to frontier worlds.

But what about FACs and other small ships, is it worth stationing them at colonies? To this day, I haven't been able to build a FAC-sized combat ship I thought was worthwhile.

And I suppose you could always cheese things by camping heavy beam ships on jump points to immediately shoot the enemy to bits. They'd have to rotate in and out as their deployment dictates, but I imagine if engines and range aren't a concern you can build some pretty beefy monitor ships.

Hangar outposts on remote rocks seem interesting, but anything that needs missiles would be a pain in the ass logistically as you'd want to update the stockpile whenever you get a new model. And God help you if you decide to change missile sizes...

There is a very similar post just started on the 1st of January with many interesting answers and suggestions, I think you could start there.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12227.0

Offline Platys51

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 04:11:31 AM »

How about something like this?
Leathphingin class Patrol Craft (P)      1 000 tons       10 Crew       104.2 BP       TCS 20    TH 50    EM 0
2500 km/s      Armour 1-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 5      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 9.75
Maint Life 10.94 Years     MSP 72    AFR 16%    IFR 0.2%    1YR 1    5YR 17    Max Repair 25.00 MSP
Magazine 65   
Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 60 months    Morale Check Required   

Improved Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP50.00 (1)    Power 50.0    Fuel Use 98.99%    Signature 50.00    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 63 000 Litres    Range 11.5 billion km (53 days at full power)

Size 2.6 Box Launcher (25)     Missile Size: 2.6    Hangar Reload 80 minutes    MF Reload 13 hours
Missile Fire Control FC14-R100 (1)     Range 14.1m km    Resolution 100

Active Search Sensor AS22-R100 (1)     GPS 1200     Range 22.2m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Its a very early design, but with only few techs into missiles you can fit warhead 4 into 2.6 sized missile.
So you get 100 dmg for 100 BP. Sure, it has no armor and pathetic range, but you can build this literally at day 1.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »

Aside from cost/tonnage efficiency, STOs en masse basically force the enemy to bombard the planet from orbit to eliminate them (unless the enemy has a large number of heavily-armored large dropships). This slows down their offensive, and reduces the usability of the colony after they take it over due to dust levels. Ideally you don't lose the colony in the first place, but if you do then you can do a bit of a scorched earth tactic on the way down.

While system defense fighters are a viable plan, it's worth noting that if you have a fleet of tugs larger stations are logistically easier to manage - transport isn't a problem, and you get a lot more use out of limited commanders than if you have a dozen patrol fighters/FACs all sucking up commanders. Orbital stations can also mount heavier armor and additional command modules (most importantly CIC for that bonus %CTH), plus usually are much more effective PD platforms if you use AMMs or turrets.

The main benefit of small ships is that they're logistically easy - you can dump a dozen maintenance facilities and a refueling center on any hunk of rock and put some FACs there armed with missiles or PD turrets, and they're quick to build rapidly if you find a hunk of rock that needs them in a hurry. FACs are never as capable as large ships but they're very flexible and less of an investment when you don't need a lot to start with.

To build capable FACs don't try to get fancy. Put a boosted engine on them and fill them up with box launchers or PD weapons (if your FACs are fast, you don't even need turrets). Probably need a separate sensor ship as well as active sensors take up valuable tonnage space.

The main limitation of FACs is that without a real fleet or orbital/surface defense backing them up they have very low endurance and won't do much more than slightly delay a large attacking fleet, but they will be sufficient to force an enemy to attack with a large fleet and not just send a lone transport shuttle with three marines and a picnic basket to take control of your outposts.

This is a pretty standard strategy once you have enough shipyards to support dedicated monitor fleets.

The main issue with hangar outposts is that they can be avoided by just sailing around them, at which point your ships are out of position. Thus they're best in mostly empty systems that just have a bunch of comets or something, unless you're very confident in your sensor net.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »
"the primary thing when you take a sword in your hands is the intention to cut the enemy, whatever the means"

Offline Squigles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
My colony defenses in my current game consist of beam STO's and a net of 1kt (or less) orbital platforms for anti-missile.  I usually use significantly larger and more capable orbitals, but in this particular game I've been using beam (railgun) fighters for my primary doctrine. 

Every decade or so when I replace my fighter fleet I scrap the old surviving fighters of the previous generation.  This leaves me with literally hundreds of 10cm railguns, the power plants to run those railguns, and the micro ASS's I use on the fighters.  Waste not, want not. 

I set up a 1kt naval yard with multiple slips tooled to produce the ODP's using specifically that old railgun, power plant, and ASS tech from stockpiles, and fit them with the current generations fire controls.  This allows them to remain competitive in the anti-missile role as the newer BFC allows for the growth of the racial tracking speed as tech advances.  Throw in a maintenance bay for weapon failures and it costs me roughly 20 minerals (less than 10 if I ever break down and use the old BFC's) upfront to put 4 10cm railguns in orbit.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 09:23:15 PM »
I do basically the same thing, but with AMM platforms, with STO gauss positions.  I think this is better because STO's get bonus range over ship-based PD, and once they're down to 5s reload, AMM launchers never become obsolete.  So my beam PD will be more accurate, and I'll have AMM capability.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 07:34:49 AM »
I do basically the same thing, but with AMM platforms, with STO gauss positions.  I think this is better because STO's get bonus range over ship-based PD, and once they're down to 5s reload, AMM launchers never become obsolete.  So my beam PD will be more accurate, and I'll have AMM capability.

In general station based PD are more accurate as they gain both crew and officer skills and bonuses added to the shooting, stations also can have a CIC for additional officer bonuses, the range bonus of PD fire-control will not make that much impact overall depending on tech level. Stations have to be maintained though and ground based PD only need wealth. Stations also can be upgraded while ground based formations and STO can't.