Author Topic: Will supply filter 'up' as well as down?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Will supply filter 'up' as well as down?
« on: January 24, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
I know that having supply trucks in a Formation will keep any units in that formation supplies, as well as any units subordinate to it. Typically this has resulted in my filling to the brim the top level unit with supply trucks. However I am not sure how to handle 're'supply after that. If my supply gets used up and I have to replace it, how can I easily move individual supply trucks into that formation?

What I was wondering is if I were to 'attach' a unit of nothing but supply trucks to that top level unit, would those trucks be drawn upon to supply the troops below?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Will supply filter 'up' as well as down?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:46:30 PM »
You can check hiw it works here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109760#msg109760

In short, vehicles will supply up and down and outside their formations while infantry logistic acts only in its formation.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline sadoeconomist

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
You can check hiw it works here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109760#msg109760

In short, vehicles will supply up and down and outside their formations while infantry logistic acts only in its formation.

That's not what it says in what you linked.

Ground Units will attempt to draw supply from the formation that sits highest in their hierarchy and is at the same population. If no supply is available, they will move down the hierarchy to their own parent formation, checking at each stage. However, when drawing supply from outside their own formation, units can only draw on logistic modules mounted on light vehicles. Logistics modules with an infantry base type can only supply their own formation.

Supply vehicles only supply their own formation or formations that are lower in their own command hierarchy - they don't supply 'up,' or laterally either. So a logistics formation attached to an HQ will not resupply that HQ or frontline formations attached to that HQ.

I'm pretty sure what you have to do instead to keep the supplies flowing is to mark your logistics formations as replacements. That way they don't even need to be part of the command hierarchy, they just need to be at the same population, and they'll transfer supply vehicles to refill your high-level formations as they're used up.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »
Supply vehicles only supply their own formation or formations that are lower in their own command hierarchy - they don't supply 'up,' or laterally either. So a logistics formation attached to an HQ will not resupply that HQ or frontline formations attached to that HQ.

I'm pretty sure what you have to do instead to keep the supplies flowing is to mark your logistics formations as replacements. That way they don't even need to be part of the command hierarchy, they just need to be at the same population, and they'll transfer supply vehicles to refill your high-level formations as they're used up.

Correct. The other way to do it is to click the 'Show Elements' checkbox in the Formations window. Then you can drag and drop individual elements from one formation to another. If you want more precision than that, there is another checkbox whose label I cannot recall off the top of my head that lets you choose how many of the element to move. You drag and drop the element, then it pops up asking how many of them you wanted to move. Not very sophisticated, but it works.

But using the new replacement system faster, as long as you don't need as much precision.