Author Topic: too quiet?  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: too quiet?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 01:44:24 AM »
Maybe it is time to start discussing missiles versus beams or something like that again. Or maybe Steve will spoil us with some new feature for future versions.  ;D

I've been thinking of doing a campaign/AAR in 1.13 where with multiple player factions so that I control all ship designs I will try some different missile rules and test some mechanics I have in mind. It seems like most complaints about missiles boil down to two things: box launchers being blatantly OP, and AMM storms being disproportionately effective. Additionally I have observed, mainly from fighting NPRs, that full size ASM launchers tend to be quite weak compared to either of these things as it's very difficult to bring sufficient salvo mass to bear particularly in a mixed fleet with AMM and PD ships. My thought is to instead treat box/reduced size launchers as an expected norm for ASMs, but house rule that missile boost is capped at the racial tech level rather than double, i.e., at max tech missiles have 3x boost rather than 6x. This would make beam PD more efficient, AMM PD should not be affected, but would balance box/reduced size launchers as they cannot overwhelm PD so efficiently. I am interested to see how this would work. Slower missiles would also add a better chance of outrunning at long ranges, akin to WW-era torpedoes, which could be an interesting tactical twist although the flip side is with much better fuel efficiency (roughly 28x range for the same E:F ratio) combat ranges become a question of interest.

There, I have contributed, if the forum is still too quiet that is on the rest of your heads now.   ;)

Your AAR actually pushed me to go for beam only game for 1.13, I was thinking about having a game where ship designs would be inspired by WW2 warships, but I feel that going with torpedo equivalent against NPRs would be absolute waste of resources and tonnage. So currently I think, that I will go railguns for naval guns (I was thinking about reduced shot railguns for this, but that would be too much handicap most likely), gauss for machine guns and maybe try particle lances in place of torpedoes.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
Your AAR actually pushed me to go for beam only game for 1.13, I was thinking about having a game where ship designs would be inspired by WW2 warships, but I feel that going with torpedo equivalent against NPRs would be absolute waste of resources and tonnage. So currently I think, that I will go railguns for naval guns (I was thinking about reduced shot railguns for this, but that would be too much handicap most likely), gauss for machine guns and maybe try particle lances in place of torpedoes.

I have actually considered the same with the reduced-shot railguns as they allow turret-like semantics without a big useless turret halving your weapons tonnage. Previously I tried to do a RN campaign with lasers/Gauss and a light cruiser was 20,000 tons. For torpedoes I found a handful of reduced-size missile launchers as secondary armament and a couple of reloads to work well for chasing down fleeing ships and such, in the WW era torpedoes on large (CL+) surface ships were not so much meant as effective weapons but more were used to force the enemy to counter them with DD screens and keeping the range open. Torpedo boats and submarines were more effective users of torpedoes as well as carrier-based bombers once those came into vogue.

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 01:31:01 PM »
I've picked up Shadow Empire recently and I'm about halfway through my first proper game. I've also been dabbling with the open source MoO remake, Remnants of the Precursors. I think aside from people waiting to see when 1.13 is coming, there's a lot of good things for sci-fi/4x gaming out there at the moment.

Once 1.13 comes I'm planning a game with three human player races, starting in different systems, inspired by Hakim's fantastic AAR, if I'm remembering the author correctly.   

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 10:35:33 PM »
I see that there are more causes than I expected :)

I’ll have to check out Remnants of the Precursors; I hadn’t heard of it before.

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 06:16:17 AM »
I've picked up Shadow Empire recently and I'm about halfway through my first proper game. I've also been dabbling with the open source MoO remake, Remnants of the Precursors. I think aside from people waiting to see when 1.13 is coming, there's a lot of good things for sci-fi/4x gaming out there at the moment.

Once 1.13 comes I'm planning a game with three human player races, starting in different systems, inspired by Hakim's fantastic AAR, if I'm remembering the author correctly.

How are you finding Shadow Empire, I'm on my 4th game which is Hard difficulty, im pretty much at war with every major power and it's not going well haha :)

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »
I read Shadow Empire's entire manual...it took me a week. And i read FAST.

Like wow is that thing dense.

I love the game though.

And i love Slytherine. They make good games.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 12:42:43 PM »
I've really like shadow empire. There is a lot of depth and thought that goes into it. My only real complaint is the AI could be better and once you get a larger "empire" it can get tedious to manage. But overall, really good and fun game that mixes a wargame/4x game.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 03:54:46 PM »

How are you finding Shadow Empire, I'm on my 4th game which is Hard difficulty, im pretty much at war with every major power and it's not going well haha :)

Relations are all about RNG, the kind of major power you are having nearby and mostly the diplomacy cards you'll fins (and keep) for when it's needed.

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 04:15:21 PM »

I've got pretty easy settings: regular difficulty, fairly peaceful planet, no aliens, ect. I've got a war with one major, a big one to my West I'm friends with, and there's another one I can see that's getting it's ass whooped by two minors somehow.

Just busted out some new laser equipped infantry and rocket pod light aircraft to caulk some nomads in god awful mountain terrain. There's something satisfying about watching indi militia which was such a pain early game just get vaporised. I also really like the planet generation - creates interesting tactical environments. The major I'm fighting is boxed in by thick mountain ranges with rolling desert after that. Only small valleys give my mechanised forces and logistics train access and we've got a stalemate going on there. He's invested in more ground troops and I'm building a large airforce. I do feel the AI is a little complacent in attacking but it is an easier difficulty.

Just discovered that the applied science techs just go on forever. I was wondering why it was taking so long for my guys to finish the fuel refining tech and so I've discovered that they were just going to go forever. I'm probably the biggest producer of fuel on the planet now.

I feel I've also busted the economy a bit. I pay my leaders enough I don't really worry about relationships, my governors get to invest 100s of credits into the private sector and cities that aren't as well developed can just get more money thrown at them. Then again, I'm leading in victory points so I'm basically the USA of my planet and it feels like it. Somehow still don't have enough industrial points and logistics capacity for everything I want so I figure I've yet to hit late game yet.

It's kind of like Aurora where you end up making little stories about what's going on in your campaign - probably a result of SE's atrocious presentation  :P  :P

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »
I see that there are more causes than I expected :)

It's pretty fun, though I'm getting beat hard because I never played MoO (guess I'm showing my lack of age lol). It's on Itch, free, and seems to have a reasonably active Reddit from what I've seen.

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:08 AM »
FFS. I signed a mutual defense pact with my next–door neighbor, and then I guess they insulted a Fallen Empire, because it declared war on them. And I'm the one that borders the Fallen Empire.

I think I’m going to need to make a meme.

It's pretty fun, though I'm getting beat hard because I never played MoO (guess I'm showing my lack of age lol). It's on Itch, free, and seems to have a reasonably active Reddit from what I've seen.

I have played only a very little MoO myself. The UI was worse than Aurora’s.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:24:44 AM by db48x »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:38 AM »
FFS. I signed a mutual defense pact with my next–door neighbor, and then I guess they insulted a Fallen Empire, because it declared war on them. And I'm the one that borders the Fallen Empire.

I think I’m going to need to make a meme.

My condolences :D In my game AI unleashed Gray Tempest on the galaxy, fortunately no L-Gates in my vicinity, so I have time to prepare my fleets. I also got a lot of refugees from it.

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »
Been running a Nemesis game in Stellaris as well. On number three, as there were some major changes that made me relearn how to build and grow my empire. :)

Really waiting on 1.13, since I really want mines working and the other bugfix/feature enhancements before I kick off another campaign.

Shadow Empire is tempting me again. Took a while to get into, but I like what I see so far, very very steep learning curve.

Also relearning how to Fly in IL2 Sturmovik. I used to be a competitive flyer in the previous version, but the complexity on this one is much more and been years since I was in. I have to relearn all the muscle memory on my controls, and "spot the dot" is far harder now on my older eyes. :)