C# Aurora > C# Bureau of Design

Military Engineer Needed

(1/3) > >>

Dark Dagger:
Good morning,

I love the story telling, the colonization, and exploration of this game.  However, I am completely lost when it comes to building military ships.  I can build a colony ship, survey ship, tanker, a cargo ship, and that is about it.   I always play with conventional start with 5000 starting tech points to get trans-newtonian tech free.  I like to think I am starting the game with the discovery of these new minerals. 

My real questions are, I guess, how to design missiles, get a ship to shoot missiles, fire PDCs, release lasers, read sensors, trick enemy sensors, and generally killing the enemy.
What makes a good missile? What is the difference between a BC Battlecruiser and a BB Battleship? How do you design a cylon basestar or the Rocinante?

FYI have yet to get passed nuclear pulse engines so that is where my knowledge level is at.  I have been avoiding looking at old VB stuff as I am unsure how much of it is still relevant.  So if there is a good guild out there for VB that still applies to C# please point me to it.   

DFNewb:

--- Quote from: Dark Dagger on April 16, 2020, 09:43:37 AM ---Good morning,

I love the story telling, the colonization, and exploration of this game.  However, I am completely lost when it comes to building military ships.  I can build a colony ship, survey ship, tanker, a cargo ship, and that is about it.   I always play with conventional start with 5000 starting tech points to get trans-newtonian tech free.  I like to think I am starting the game with the discovery of these new minerals. 

My real questions are, I guess, how to design missiles, get a ship to shoot missiles, fire PDCs, release lasers, read sensors, trick enemy sensors, and generally killing the enemy.
What makes a good missile? What is the difference between a BC Battlecruiser and a BB Battleship? How do you design a cylon basestar or the Rocinante?

FYI have yet to get passed nuclear pulse engines so that is where my knowledge level is at.  I have been avoiding looking at old VB stuff as I am unsure how much of it is still relevant.  So if there is a good guild out there for VB that still applies to C# please point me to it.

--- End quote ---

You came to the right place, the Bureau of Design is the best Aurora ship design guild out there!

SpaceMarine:
My recommendation is be a part of the discord and use the ship repository for guidance, also you can look at my AAR or steves in ship design parameters and what works and doesnt.

non sequitur:
So, last question first. The various ship class labels are purely up to you. Technically they don't affect things. So if you want to label your colony ship a "battleship" you can. This is all to say that Aurora is what you make it. So the difference between what a "battlecruiser" and a "battleship" is in your navy is completely up to you and the story you have constructed around your navy. In history, a battlecruiser was lightly armored fast capital ship with big guns and a battleship was heavily armored and slower. Sometimes it helps to look at real navies and see what they did for their classes.

As to missiles, again, it's partly what you make of it. What makes a good missile is that is accomplishes the goal you have for it. Is it an Anti-missile missile? a Anti-ship Missile? Is it meant to take down capital ships or small strike craft? In general the rules of thumb I use are
1. half of the missile is engine (this was true in VB6. I'm still sorting out the new system).
2. You are aiming for warhead strength 1,4,9, 16, 25 etc... because missiles puncture armor levels at those damage levels.

In general for military ships you have a couple basic roles you need filled
1. anti-ship
2. missile defense.
3. scouting (passive sensors)
4. target lock (aka active sensors).

how you accomplish those roles is completely up to you. Some people make each role it's own ship and some combine roles.

Dark Dagger:

--- Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=10786. msg123925#msg123925 date=1587048638 ---My recommendation is be a part of the discord and use the ship repository for guidance, also you can look at my AAR or steves in ship design parameters and what works and doesnt.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a link to the discord? Looking at disboard. org the largest one is Aurora Gaming Community, is that it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version