Author Topic: How to "debug" to see the reason behind extended 5 second adjustments?  (Read 310 times)

Offline Zeradash (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Z
Hello everyone, I'll put the context first:

I have a savefile on 2. 1. 1 about 70 years in the game.  I found a real big spoiler, did a bit of fighting and took out a bunch of it, but then lost track of the rest while rebuilding stockpiles and making better fleets.
2 years later I got stuck in a 5 second time adjustment.  I figured they might have found the starting NPR or a new one, and just pressed the automated button and let it roll.  Many real life hours went by and I forgot the game was even running; it was still stuck on the 5 second adjustment.  I double checked for fire control issues, but all was clear.

I was planning to backup the save before trying some spacemaster stuff, to try to figure out what's going on in yet-unexplored systems, but I wasn't sure how to do it.  Any tips on how I could do this relatively efficiently? I just want to do it to get an idea on how long the game is going to continue in that state.

Offline GrandNord

• Petty Officer
  • G
There are a few things you can do but everything I know kind of requires mucking about a bit in the database, so just make sure to make a copy of it before doing anything. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is a better way to do it.

First if you don't have it get something like SQLite.

One thing you can do is just to manually look inside the Gamelog (table FCT_Gamelog) and go through each event to see what is happening each increment and identify the ships involved. This kind of issue can be caused by nprs and spoiler trying to fight but having problems preventing them from doing so, nprs trying to refuel, etc, it's generally only going to involve ships.

After you find whatever the problem is the most secure way to solve the problem is to make whatever alien involved playable (table FCT_Race, change the NPR bit from 1 to 0), then open the game, get into spacemaster mode, change the race you are playing at and do whatever you need to do to the fleet(s) you identified as being a problem. Generally that means deleting them. After that just change back the NPR bit and restart the game.

I had an issue with regular error messages that had something to do involving missing spoiler ships in some fleets I think. To solve the problem I had to remove all of this spoiler's fleets, though you might not have to go to the nuclear option like I did.

Offline Zeradash (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Z
Hello, thanks for the tip! The tinkering did fix the issue.

I also found a way to check things without tinkering with the files though, since I'm a bit paranoid for these things.  Ill share it in case someone finds it useful:

It turns out the Spoiler and NPR were fighting on a gate and jumping around.  Some sort of error seemed to prevent the fight from moving forward.  I ended up manually discovering a few systems with Spacemaster, and when I found the suspect I spawned a planet close to each side of the gate with a sensor ship. 
For some reason, not only did I find them, but the battle actually ended soon after.  If I kept rolling the backup without this it would still be stuck.

After it ended, I just deleted the 2 ships and planets, leaving everything as it was and having to touch no files, just in case.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit