Author Topic: Forward Base Tutorials?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
Re: Forward Base Tutorials?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 10:20:29 PM »
Join As Sub-Fleet for supplies, and the usage of Hubs for ordnance and fuel are probably best for low-friction operarion. As for supplying the MSP to a base like this, it's probably worth crunching the numbers on just how much your ships will be drawing compared to how much storage you have. Just ten thousand tons of a supply depot station can hold four hundred thousand MSP, which could potentially allow a completely-exhausted fleet to draw from it dozens of times before refilling it needs to be considered. Obviously weigh this in relation to your actual designs and tonnage, of course. And if you're including Maintenance Modules, account for their MSP usage as well. Still, if you actually look at the numbers it might not be that hard to render the chore of resupplying the supply base a once-in-a-decade affair.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 02:26:50 AM »
Join As Sub-Fleet for supplies, and the usage of Hubs for ordnance and fuel are probably best for low-friction operarion. As for supplying the MSP to a base like this, it's probably worth crunching the numbers on just how much your ships will be drawing compared to how much storage you have. Just ten thousand tons of a supply depot station can hold four hundred thousand MSP, which could potentially allow a completely-exhausted fleet to draw from it dozens of times before refilling it needs to be considered. Obviously weigh this in relation to your actual designs and tonnage, of course. And if you're including Maintenance Modules, account for their MSP usage as well. Still, if you actually look at the numbers it might not be that hard to render the chore of resupplying the supply base a once-in-a-decade affair.
(Re-)filling a once-per-decade supply base requires a decade's worth of MSP for that base up front.  Under the current production rules that risks MSP starvation to other areas, assuming that you even have that much MSP on hand, and we can't even make up the difference with industry.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 03:28:19 AM »
I'm not in front of the game to test, but for regularly refueling a deep space logistics base (and resupply if there is an equivalent to Refuel from Stationary Tankers), I wonder if this would work.

Move the tanker fleet to the base, and issue the base orders to Refuel from Stationary Tankers with a long order delay.

Set the tanker fleet in a loop to refuel at the production point, and move to the base, using a long order delay to make it wait at the base's location.

If the order delays are configured accurately, the fleet should always be in place for the refuel order to succeed, and it wouldn't be a big chore to have to reset the order occasionally if it does miss the tankers.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
I'm not in front of the game to test, but for regularly refueling a deep space logistics base (and resupply if there is an equivalent to Refuel from Stationary Tankers), I wonder if this would work.

Move the tanker fleet to the base, and issue the base orders to Refuel from Stationary Tankers with a long order delay.

Set the tanker fleet in a loop to refuel at the production point, and move to the base, using a long order delay to make it wait at the base's location.

If the order delays are configured accurately, the fleet should always be in place for the refuel order to succeed, and it wouldn't be a big chore to have to reset the order occasionally if it does miss the tankers.

I'm probably more willing to engage in micromanagement than most, but this is way beyond my threshold.
This approach would work, certainly, but the analysis required to set up each route is onerous.

And I think you underestimate the chore of fixing things when the timing gets off. You won't get an event or an announcement or anything, you'll just find at some point that your base is not where it is supposed to be, because it is traveling towards the tanker.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
And I think you underestimate the chore of fixing things when the timing gets off. You won't get an event or an announcement or anything, you'll just find at some point that your base is not where it is supposed to be, because it is traveling towards the tanker.

I was thinking that the tanker fleet would either arrive or move outsystem quickly enough for this not to matter.  But I've tested it, and the idea's a bust anyway - the refuel from stationary tankers order gets cancelled with an error when the target fleet has any sort of movement orders.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit