Author Topic: High Frontier (Board Game)  (Read 3756 times)

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
High Frontier (Board Game)
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:20:25 AM »
High Frontier is a bit hard to describe succinctly, but I'll try. High Frontier is like… it's like Aurora, but IN SPACE!

Ok, that's not quite it. It's like playing a game of Aurora with 4 NPRs all starting on Earth, but as a board game. Except that the NPRs are controlled by real people. High Frontier only covers the Sol system (well, you can build an interstellar-capable ship and leave the system, if you really want the extra points), and you control a space program like NASA or ESA instead of a whole country. You build your ships from real near-future technologies such as solar sails, ion drives, nuclear thermal rockets, orion drives, etc. This is not mere fluff; all of these technologies are modelled quite well so that solar sails and orion drives behave very differently, and open up different opportunities.

But I think the best way to show off the game is the absolutely gorgeous board:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition; you should definitely view this full-screen.

Because the board is a rectangle, it obviously cannot accurately represent distances or directions. Instead, the author has chosen to represent the energy and time necessary to visit other worlds in our solar system. This is the real deal; the rocket equation is an integral part of the game. The heavier your rocket is, the more fuel it must use for every move. The curved lines on this map are the paths you can choose to follow, counting off time and fuel expended as you go. Notice how the paths in the outer system zigzag. Each zig and zag is another year spent on the trip, or extra fuel used to shorten the trip.

What do you do when you get to your destination? You construct factories that can build even better technologies for your rockets than can be produced on earth. This is where you build a mag sail that can go from Earth to the moons of Jupiter in one year, or a nuclear lightbulb rocket that uses a closed-cycle gas-core nuclear reactor to heat your propellant to 22,000°C.

There are two major variants that get played, called the "basic" game and the "advanced" game. In the basic game the win condition is to build the most factories. In the advanced game, the win condition is to gain victory points by enacting certain Futures, which greatly change how human society works. You could crash a comet into Earth, build an antimatter factory, form a hive mind, emancipate the AIs, build an interstellar starship, as well as half a dozen other possibilities. I said that the game only takes place in Sol, but if you want to go all-in you can actually leave the Sol system once you've built and crewed a viable interstellar ship. You can then pull the second board out of the box and start playing the interstellar game while everyone else is still stuck in Sol. Interstellar trips are much, much harder than mere interplanetary ones, but if you manage to find and colonize another planet it is worth a lot of victory points. To be competitive in the advanced game you must build an industrial base that would win you the basic game, so this game has it's own built-in tutorial. It also has several solitaire modes.

I think this is the finest board game I've ever played. Possibly it is the finest ever made. If you haven't played it yet, you've been missing out.

The following users thanked this post: Hawkeye, Demonides, StarshipCactus

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: High Frontier (Board Game)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 03:41:55 AM »
Just ... OMG !!!  ;D ;D

Some people still do grognards boardgames in 2020? This seems an awesome game!

You actually linked to a 3rd edition map, the 4th edition is here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5605558/high-frontier-4-all

Where is the link to the extra solar game?

I see the 4th edition is out in December, and you can order a neoprene map 2x as big as the standard map. I'm wondering if this game won't be my Xmas autogift!
https://ionsmg.com/products/neoprene-mat-high-frontier-4-all-map-pre-order?_pos=4&_sid=cf4466a18&_ss=r
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:45:03 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 04:22:02 AM »
That looks really interesting - thanks for the link.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
This post needs to be marked NSFW.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Gabrote42

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
Some people still do grognards boardgames in 2020? This seems an awesome game!

Well, I admit that it has been impossible for me to get a game together this year, for some reason.

Where is the link to the extra solar game?

Here's an image of the interstellar map (from 3rd edition):

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585129/high-frontier-third-edition

Note that every turn on the interstellar map is 12 years, while turns on the solar map are 1 year. :)

I see the 4th edition is out in December, and you can order a neoprene map 2x as big as the standard map. I'm wondering if this game won't be my Xmas autogift!
https://ionsmg.com/products/neoprene-mat-high-frontier-4-all-map-pre-order?_pos=4&_sid=cf4466a18&_ss=r

I haven't been following the 4th edition, but that's a really nice idea. 3rd edition came with a second copy of the main map printed on the backs of the two game boards, so that you could put them side by side. Supposedly there were sometimes alignment problems with the maps printed on the back, though I haven't noticed any on mine. The neoprene map should solve that nicely. On the other hand, I haven't actually used the larger map!

The normal boards are 2×3 feet, making the large map on the back 4×3 feet, twice the area and of course 141% larger on each side. Each player also needs about a foot for their player mat and their own card stacks, making the total area for the large board and five players 5×5. I've never had a table large enough for that. My favorite restaurant here in town bought out their neighbor last year and converted the back room into a private dining room. The room is large enough to assemble a 5×5 table in while still leaving room for the chairs, so I had planned to do that this spring. Maybe later this year.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:44:59 AM by db48x »

Offline Vastrat

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 01:59:27 PM »
This game looks like fun, thanks for the recommendation, and link.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »
Whoa.

:o

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 02:46:55 AM »
Pre-ordered it from the site. Even if I play it only once with some nerdy buddies, I don't care, this is just too good to pass on.

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »
Pre-ordered it from the site. Even if I play it only once with some nerdy buddies, I don't care, this is just too good to pass on.

I got it for precisely the same reason! My brothers and I got in some really good games last time I was out their way too.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42