Author Topic: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread  (Read 10555 times)

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »
I saw that building a station rather than a colony near a construct increased that particular research on all worlds by 10 percent.  Is this correct?  And where is the rule?  I've never seen that before.

once a planet with an (active) construct has a population of 1mil, 10% of the constructs bonus is applied as an "empire" bonus. So if a planets gravity is too high, or its CC is unrealistic to colonize you can still benefit from the construct somewhat.

I don't remember seeing that before.  So will the 10 percent be added to another world with a like bonus?

For example:. Say I have a world with a 50 percent construction bonus and build a station on another world with a construction bonus, will I end up with 60 percent bonus on the first world?

Theoretically that should be how it works, but i have never had 2 of the same constructs in 1 game so i can not tell you 'yes' or 'no' for sure.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »
I saw that building a station rather than a colony near a construct increased that particular research on all worlds by 10 percent.  Is this correct?  And where is the rule?  I've never seen that before.

once a planet with an (active) construct has a population of 1mil, 10% of the constructs bonus is applied as an "empire" bonus. So if a planets gravity is too high, or its CC is unrealistic to colonize you can still benefit from the construct somewhat.

I don't remember seeing that before.  So will the 10 percent be added to another world with a like bonus?

For example:. Say I have a world with a 50 percent construction bonus and build a station on another world with a construction bonus, will I end up with 60 percent bonus on the first world?

Theoretically that should be how it works, but i have never had 2 of the same constructs in 1 game so i can not tell you 'yes' or 'no' for sure.

Every construct active will give 10% of its bonus to your whole empire, which means every colony you have. This means that if you have 2 power and propulsion constructs, one 40% and another 60%, your empire will have a total bonus of 4+6 (10%) research bonus in power and propulsion.

What I'm not 100% sure in the above example I gave is when you consider the colonies that actually contain the construct. For example, if we consider power and propulsion on the 60% bonus world, will the overall bonus be 64% (60 + 10% of 40) or will it be 70% (60% + total empire bonus (10%))?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 04:53:31 AM »
You get the '10% of construct bonus' on every project, including those on the construct world that already benefit from 100% of the bonus.

Assume you have a propulsion construct at 80%, a propulsion scientist with 30% bonus and 200 RP per facility.

On a 'normal' colony the bonus would be: 200 * (100% + (4 x 30%)) * (100% + 8%) = 475.2 RP.
On the construct colony the bonus would be: 200 * (100% + (4 x 30%)) * (100% + 80%) * (100% + 8%) = 855.36 RP.

The following users thanked this post: Stryker

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2021, 04:55:02 AM »
I honestly cant find that button either atm - I can see the full grav survey in SM mode, and "no geo" but no "no grav" button.

It's possible I added the 'No Grav' button for v2.0

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2021, 09:38:10 AM »
I honestly cant find that button either atm - I can see the full grav survey in SM mode, and "no geo" but no "no grav" button.

It's possible I added the 'No Grav' button for v2.0
Probably part of this 1.14 change:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg152334#msg152334

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
Three updates today, and I was just wondering how this campaign was going! Truly Steve spoils us...

The decision to violate Hegemony space for economic gain seems a rather harsh calculus but probably necessary, at least for the time being. If they do raise objections, it might make sense to seek an alliance as both the Hegemony and the Empire could use an ally against the rather strong threats on their borders.

The Myrmidon class destroyer is a very fun design, single-minded but optimized for a specific purpose. I love seeing these kinds of specialized ships built in response to a specific threat like the Swarm, or the Corsairs in the previous AAR for that matter.

While the Devonshire had less overall protection in theoretical terms than the Monmouth, the shields would prevent boarding attacks

I did not know that this was a thing. Good to know!

Very interesting to see the evolution of British battleship design through this period, although given the huge size jump I wonder if the Dreadnoughts should be reclassified as a new hull type entirely? Perhaps one named after the lead ship of the class...

Most of the alien force, numbering perhaps six hundred, was comprised of humanoid automatons almost seven in height and equipped with machine guns.

My high school math teacher was fond of saying that if students did not put units for their answers, she would assume all answers were given in units of elephants. This seems to be suitable guidance here and I choose to believe that the automatons are indeed seven elephants in height.  ;)

Besides, the Hegemony had plainly suffered losses in battles with the Babylonians in Epsilon Indi and Rome while the Royal Navy was feeling very pleased with its new battleships. The fear of hostilities with the Hegemony was decreasing as the Empire became stronger.

I suspect that these matters will come to a head in, hmm, about 1914 or so.

The galactic map is beginning to look quite interesting, the number of loops are increasing and it may become increasingly difficult to defend every border, especially if any new races are encountered which may not be so friendly and accommodating. Which I hope does happen so we can see these mighty Dreadnoughts in action!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 01:21:30 PM »

Very interesting to see the evolution of British battleship design through this period, although given the huge size jump I wonder if the Dreadnoughts should be reclassified as a new hull type entirely? Perhaps one named after the lead ship of the class...

Most of the alien force, numbering perhaps six hundred, was comprised of humanoid automatons almost seven in height and equipped with machine guns.

My high school math teacher was fond of saying that if students did not put units for their answers, she would assume all answers were given in units of elephants. This seems to be suitable guidance here and I choose to believe that the automatons are indeed seven elephants in height.  ;)

Besides, the Hegemony had plainly suffered losses in battles with the Babylonians in Epsilon Indi and Rome while the Royal Navy was feeling very pleased with its new battleships. The fear of hostilities with the Hegemony was decreasing as the Empire became stronger.

I suspect that these matters will come to a head in, hmm, about 1914 or so.

The galactic map is beginning to look quite interesting, the number of loops are increasing and it may become increasingly difficult to defend every border, especially if any new races are encountered which may not be so friendly and accommodating. Which I hope does happen so we can see these mighty Dreadnoughts in action!

The actual HMS Dreadnought was completed on October 3rd 1906 and this one was completed on October 1st 1906. I had a potential game-changing design in mind for a while, similar to the historical Dreadnought, but I didn't expect to end up that close to the date. And yes, future large ships will be Dreadnoughts.

The potential routes around the Galactic map are a real headache. As you say - very hard to defend everything. I also spent quite a few hours trying to rearrange systems :)

The 'elephants' are feet. I'll fix that :)

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
The 'elephants' are feet. I'll fix that :)

Aww.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »
No offense meant but seeing a 1821 tons ship categorized as a destroyer hurts me so much  ;D That's barely a lifeboat  ;D

Good progress all around. Interesting and fun ships design too, I like the big laser range and fast speed on those things. Sometimes I just wish the swarm ships were more aggressive in general.

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
That is quite the buildup, I wonder whether the decision to violate Hegemony's space was not in fear of possible reprisals but more in anticipation.

I mean that would be quite the shame if these new shiny Dreadnoughts would have to sit at port so long as to become obsolete. Quite the shame indeed.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
No offense meant but seeing a 1821 tons ship categorized as a destroyer hurts me so much  ;D That's barely a lifeboat  ;D

Good progress all around. Interesting and fun ships design too, I like the big laser range and fast speed on those things. Sometimes I just wish the swarm ships were more aggressive in general.

In the late 19th century, Royal Navy battleships, such as the real Royal Sovereigns, Majestics, Londons, etc., were around 15-17,000 tons. First class cruisers, such as the real Diadems, Devonshires, etc., were around 11-12,000 tons.

Destroyers varied between 300 and 600 tons, so they are unrealistically large in my campaign at 1000+ tons. :)

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »

In the late 19th century, Royal Navy battleships, such as the real Royal Sovereigns, Majestics, Londons, etc., were around 15-17,000 tons. First class cruisers, such as the real Diadems, Devonshires, etc., were around 11-12,000 tons.

Destroyers varied between 300 and 600 tons, so they are unrealistically large in my campaign at 1000+ tons. :)

Ah I see, it's an historical thing. I must admit my knowledge of that period is quite low, so I had no idea. I'm more up to date on ww2 and recent ships.
I look forward to see those in action XD

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 01:48:52 PM »

Ah I see, it's an historical thing. I must admit my knowledge of that period is quite low, so I had no idea. I'm more up to date on ww2 and recent ships.
I look forward to see those in action XD

My bible for that period is 'Conway's All The Worlds Fighting Ships 1860-1905' and I am just moving on to 'Conway's All The Worlds Fighting Ships 1906-1921'

I also have the 1922 - 1946 and 1947 - 1995 books. They are all excellent reference works and well worth reading simply for entertainment. They include a lot of background material on each design and on the period in general. For that reason, I use them a lot more than Jane's Fighting Ships.

The following users thanked this post: Black, Sebmono

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
I have the 3 volume version of Conway's and when tempted to do Brits in space get my ship lists from it.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »
So I finally had a chance to catch up, and found quite a suprise "shields prevent boarding attacks".
I had a search and looked through the changes post and I can't see any mention of it in the description for boarding or shields, is it new for 1.14/2.0 or is it an old feature I've never encountered?

Also I think you should come up with a naming scheme for the different sizes of battleships, may I suggest you give them ratings, like the Napoleonic ships-of-the-line? Alternatively the Yamato class is widely refered to as a Super-Heavy Battleship so maybe that would be suitable?
Also do you have something planned to give them jump capability or are they going to be kept within the stabilized jump network forever?

Given how you started tooled up for missile combat, I'm suprised at how much time and research you're putting into beams, rather than designing specific anti-swarm missiles. If you can get a missile running at 40k km/s with 25 MR then they should hit the small swarm craft pretty regularly.