Author Topic: Terraforming eccentric orbit temperatures  (Read 2211 times)

Offline DNAturation (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Terraforming eccentric orbit temperatures
« on: August 21, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
I'm starting a new game for the first time with eccentric orbits.   I'm in the middle of terraforming a new planet and noticed that the temperature ranges from the eccentric orbits were larger than my race's tolerated range.   Is there a way to either decrease the temperature change from the eccentric orbits (some specific gas to add?) or to prevent my population from growing more than the max colony cost of this world instead of current colony cost?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Terraforming eccentric orbit temperatures
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 06:04:51 PM »
Your pop will not growth past the maximum CC allowed by infra.

And yeah, terraforming the planet will help bring the extremes down, depending on planet specifics of course.

The following users thanked this post: DNAturation

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 06:43:35 AM »
Your pop will not growth past the maximum CC allowed by infra.

And yeah, terraforming the planet will help bring the extremes down, depending on planet specifics of course.

OP was asking if there was a way to make the pop respect the Max CC, rather than the current CC.
No, there is not.

The following users thanked this post: DNAturation

Offline DNAturation (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:16:57 AM »
OK, guess I'll just have my limiting factor be something other than the temperature or just not use that planet then.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 03:05:39 AM »
You need to do some math, first work out what the max pop you can support based on the highest CC of the orbit. Then ensure you never have more infrastructure than what will support that max pop number, however your pop will naturally produce infrastructure as a trade good so their pop will increase. To counteract this you have to do some guess work and keep your shipped infrastructure amount suitably lower to allow for the increase. Finally you can set the work to stable pop only so it only grows through internal natural growth.

These combined tend to give you enough time to get it terraformed.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
You need to do some math, first work out what the max pop you can support based on the highest CC of the orbit. Then ensure you never have more infrastructure than what will support that max pop number, however your pop will naturally produce infrastructure as a trade good so their pop will increase. To counteract this you have to do some guess work and keep your shipped infrastructure amount suitably lower to allow for the increase. Finally you can set the work to stable pop only so it only grows through internal natural growth.

These combined tend to give you enough time to get it terraformed.

The natural increase in infrastructure is at a rate of
1% per year of the amount needed to hold the current population
2 infra per year per million population, modified by governor/sector Wealth Creation bonus, times your racial tech level for "Wealth Generation per Million TN Workers" divided by 100.

This rate is compounded per construction cycle, so you will get a very slightly higher result over a given time span than a single calculation based on the momentary rate would indicate.

If the amount of infrastructure already at the colony is sufficient to hold the current population, then the free infrastructure appears as an exportable trade good, rather than as available infrastructure.
In other words, you can't ship away the free infrastructure unless the population is using it.
At that point, if you aren't also shipping away population, shipping away infrastructure will cause the same overcrowding problem that you are trying to avoid, just at a lower population level.

If you really don't want to breach the max CC pop limit, you have to keep shipping away colonists.

For small colonies inside your gated network, this is challenging, because your civilian shipping lines will keep shipping more colonists there whenever there is enough free space to hold at least 50k pop, and a colony cannot be designated stable (or source) for civilian shipping until it reaches 10M pop (or half of the body's population capacity, if lower).

EDIT: Corrected free infra calculation to account for two things: racial pop growth density not equal to 1, and wealth creation modifiers.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:55:04 AM by skoormit »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 05:18:17 AM »
Sounds like eccentric orbits should lead to us getting more fine tuning tools, so a colony can't import/produce infrastructure as well as limit reproduction. For limiting I suggest that colonies that are set to a maximum number of population should add the reproduced pops that go over this max limit to a global buffer variable that auto-transfers to colonies that have the "receiving" bit set.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 10:57:27 AM »
2 infra per year per million population, modified by governor/sector Wealth Creation bonus, times your racial tech level for "Wealth Generation per Million TN Workers" divided by 100.

Note: I corrected my previous description of the free infra calculation, as above.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »

Note: I corrected my previous description of the free infra calculation, as above.

I had no idea infra generation was tied to wealth bonus. I'd expect it to be production, though I guess having civilian activity be tied to wealth also makes sense.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 09:31:48 AM »

I had no idea infra generation was tied to wealth bonus. I'd expect it to be production, though I guess having civilian activity be tied to wealth also makes sense.

It makes sense if you consider that the free infra is being created as a trade good.
Trade goods are listed on the Wealth/Trade tab.
Hence their production rates are modified by Wealth Creation factors, not Production factors.