Author Topic: Creating empty ground formation  (Read 1058 times)

Offline DNAturation (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Creating empty ground formation
« on: September 05, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »
Ground units are a pain to load individually so I decided to create a large formation of ground units so I would only have to load a single unit, and drop a STO formation in all my colonies for defense.   Fast forward a couple of decades and one of my outer rim colonies is getting attacked by a number of frigates (7k tons is a frigate right?), luckily there's a STO formation in there to defend it.   However, a problem appeared.   I was hoping my STO would split its fire across every ship in the enemy fleet, and either turn them into a new ring system for the colonists to enjoy or at the very least knock them out of commission so that they can't blow up all my orbital stations.   Unfortunately that's not what happened, instead of splitting their fire across all the ships the STO decided to concentrate fire onto a single ship and dump 15k points of damage into it.   Now that one ship has most certainly been reduced to literal space dust but there's still 19 of his friends who are undeterred by his fate and continued their attack.   So now to reorganize all my defenses I'm planning on splitting my STO formations into smaller groups (of say 5 units per formation rather than 91) but I need empty formations to split them into; I know I can always just make an empty formation but that requires a ground unit construction complex and then I would need to ship an empty formation to each of my colonies in order to do the splitting.   
Is there a way to just 'create' an empty ground unit formation like how you can make empty fleets in the fleet manager?
Or better yet, is there a way of telling my STOs to split their fire to hit multiple ships instead of trying to see if they can turn one into a miniature star?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 03:31:42 PM by DNAturation »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Creating empty ground formation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 03:59:57 PM »
Ground units are a pain to load individually so I decided to create a large formation of ground units so I would only have to load a single unit, and drop a STO formation in all my colonies for defense.   Fast forward a couple of decades and one of my outer rim colonies is getting attacked by a number of frigates (7k tons is a frigate right?), luckily there's a STO formation in there to defend it.   However, a problem appeared.   I was hoping my STO would split its fire across every ship in the enemy fleet, and either turn them into a new ring system for the colonists to enjoy or at the very least knock them out of commission so that they can't blow up all my orbital stations.   Unfortunately that's not what happened, instead of splitting their fire across all the ships the STO decided to concentrate fire onto a single ship and dump 15k points of damage into it.   Now that one ship has most certainly been reduced to literal space dust but there's still 19 of his friends who are undeterred by his fate and continued their attack.   So now to reorganize all my defenses I'm planning on splitting my STO formations into smaller groups (of say 5 units per formation rather than 91) but I need empty formations to split them into; I know I can always just make an empty formation but that requires a ground unit construction complex and then I would need to ship an empty formation to each of my colonies in order to do the splitting.   
Is there a way to just 'create' an empty ground unit formation like how you can make empty fleets in the fleet manager?
Or better yet, is there a way of telling my STOs to split their fire to hit multiple ships instead of trying to see if they can turn one into a miniature star?

For STO formations you should be able to set "guns per ship" or something to that effect when in the STO targeting screen. Unfortunately you cannot decide which specific guns will shoot which specific ship.

The following users thanked this post: DNAturation

Offline dr125

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 05:31:24 PM »
Not ideal, but you could create a template 1 light infantry and the SM as many as you need on the relevant planet. Not as elegant, but is pretty close to creating empty formations.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, DNAturation

Offline DNAturation (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 01:40:14 AM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=13079. msg161978#msg161978 date=1662411597
For STO formations you should be able to set "guns per ship" or something to that effect when in the STO targeting screen.  Unfortunately you cannot decide which specific guns will shoot which specific ship.

Ah, found it, that would do the trick nicely thank you.