Author Topic: Duranium Legion Vol. 2 - Comments Thread  (Read 5138 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Duranium Legion Vol. 2 - Comments Thread
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:25:50 AM »
Place all comments related to the Second Chronicles of the Duranium Legion here. I have finished posting the rather extensive intro materials, and shall hope to have at least one update's worth of gameplay completed this weekend if time permits. After that, I'll aim for updates once a weekend and to hopefully maintain a robust posting buffer... for real this time!

A note for those who may care, I am playing with my "usual" DB mods. These include:
  • Improved Personal Weapons (PWI) renamed Heavy Personal Weapons (PWH) and boosted to 1.25 attack, 1.25 pen, 1.6 GSP
  • LOG modules are boosted to provide 1000 GSP and locked to LVH only. LOG-S and LOG are reflagged as LOG and LOG-H respectively.
  • Plasma Carronades have +50% RP cost to develop, a small nerf since they are so OP for ground combat.
  • Missile Agility techline is downscaled to 1.25x per tech level, so the first few levels are 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, ... instead of 20, 32, 48, 64, 80, ...
  • Add 0.25 HS Gauss Cannon size as this allows <50t Gauss fighters if desired.
Post away!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:12 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Black, Warer, ranger044

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
Re: Duranium Legion Vol. 2 - Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 05:35:30 AM »
BritCo will be back. Aka real good.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:24 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Foxxonius Augustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 06:08:42 AM »
I am so freaking happy that this world is being continued! I am so exited I haven't even read the first post yet but needed to exclaim my excitement upon seeing it.

Long live the Duranium Legion!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:35 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 10:03:42 AM »
BritCo will be back. Aka real good.

They will be back, but they may not be the same... the little-known side theater of the Civil War between BritCo and FrenchCeaux was transformative shall we say...  :P

I am so freaking happy that this world is being continued! I am so exited I haven't even read the first post yet but needed to exclaim my excitement upon seeing it.

Long live the Duranium Legion!

Were I an optimist I would hope the first post does live up to this impressive amount of hype, but as I am a realist I simply hope you will soon report that you are only a little bit disappointed.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:42 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 10:19:08 AM »
Really excited to see this starting up again. Love the idea of having Lost Tech ships and units to start.

I assume you set them up with a high-tech race and then transferred them? 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:49 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Warer, nuclearslurpee

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 10:32:06 AM »
Were I an optimist I would hope the first post does live up to this impressive amount of hype, but as I am a realist I simply hope you will soon report that you are only a little bit disappointed.  ;)

Having read through what is up so far as well as the tidbits in the ship compendium I can say that the hype has only increased! I am quite eager to have more content to sink my teeth into and I am quite curious how things have transpired and will proceed. I wonder if we will see some of the old characters, sure it was 90 years ago but Trans-Newtonian medicine and cryogenic suspension can go a long way. Will any long lost legion colonies be rediscovered? Will the ships of the lost fleets be found derelict, there crew long dead, or perhaps grounded on barely habitable worlds being lived in by the crews descendants? Maybe they will never be seen again? Was the destabilization the jump points even a galaxy wide event or was it limited to the Sol system? Is the rest of the empire intact, eagerly awaiting the return of a stable jump point back to the home world? I can't wait to find out!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:22:57 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
Really excited to see this starting up again. Love the idea of having Lost Tech ships and units to start.

I assume you set them up with a high-tech race and then transferred them?

I actually did it the old-school way of researching all of the high techs, designing and building the Lost Tech ships, and then unresearching techs and marking the components obsolete to hide them. Using the new ship transfer method would have been cleaner, but I was setting this up in 2.1.0 which was when I found the bug with ship transfer that I reported to Steve... it turned out to not have any effect but I didn't know that at the time and didn't want to to break the game by accident. Either way works, of course, obsoleting the components does require a certain degree of playing by the honor system, but as Aurora is a single-player game this isn't really a problem.  :)

Having read through what is up so far as well as the tidbits in the ship compendium I can say that the hype has only increased! I am quite eager to have more content to sink my teeth into and I am quite curious how things have transpired and will proceed. I wonder if we will see some of the old characters, sure it was 90 years ago but Trans-Newtonian medicine and cryogenic suspension can go a long way. Will any long lost legion colonies be rediscovered? Will the ships of the lost fleets be found derelict, there crew long dead, or perhaps grounded on barely habitable worlds being lived in by the crews descendants? Maybe they will never be seen again? Was the destabilization the jump points even a galaxy wide event or was it limited to the Sol system? Is the rest of the empire intact, eagerly awaiting the return of a stable jump point back to the home world? I can't wait to find out!

Truly only the most erudite of readers begin with the ship compendium rather than the main plot, knowing the value of detailed technical data and short historical asides rather than tedious things such as "plot" and "characters".

I will say I am still thinking about how to handle the potential for discovering long-lost friends - or foes! Right now my thought is that I can hand-wave most of the lost colonies as they were in no-name/renamed systems, with the exception of Alpha Centauri. I may hand-wave that one, drop in some easter-egg colony ruins, or reconstruct the old system from scratch depending on my mood whenever we come across that famous binary system.

----

E: Chapter I is now up, and I think I will keep the traditional OOC comments in the comment thread as this seems right and proper.

As stated somewhere else, I'm planning to keep a pace of an update per weekend and to maintain a modest posting buffer in case of emergency - or worse, Naval Conferences. The next post which contains the rest of year 4100 is written so shall form the buffer until next weekend. Meanwhile, let the rampant speculation abound! Or you could just look under the spoiler tag, I suppose that works too...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:04 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Black, Warer, Foxxonius Augustus

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
Author "I wonder how I'll handle Alpha Centauri if/when I find it? I mean what ate the od-" Finds it on the second jump point.

...Well that worked out really well from the perspective of getting something to write about.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:12 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »
...or worse, Naval Conferences...

Perhaps in future you might go for a Library of Alexandria type thing where only a table of contents and a summery remains while the volumes themselves have been lost. Or go for a "Battle of Gliese 1 Report and Assessment - Summary and Excerpts" type post.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:19 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 11:33:14 AM »
I finally managed to catch up. And I am glad that we will be able to enjoy new reports about various conferences and luncheons. On that note, though, I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed that we didn't get a detailed report from the day and a half long debate about the composition of Legion expeditionary force. But I am sure that similar opportunities will appear in the future and we will not be deprived of such pleasant experience.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:25 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
Author "I wonder how I'll handle Alpha Centauri if/when I find it? I mean what ate the od-" Finds it on the second jump point.

...Well that worked out really well from the perspective of getting something to write about.

"pleasedon'tbealphacentauri... pleasedon'tbealphacentauri... pleasedon'tbe--CRAP!!"
-some AAR writer somewhere, probably

Perhaps in future you might go for a Library of Alexandria type thing where only a table of contents and a summery remains while the volumes themselves have been lost. Or go for a "Battle of Gliese 1 Report and Assessment - Summary and Excerpts" type post.

I have some ideas along the "summary and excerpts" lines, but less excerpty and more exemplary if that makes sense.

I finally managed to catch up. And I am glad that we will be able to enjoy new reports about various conferences and luncheons. On that note, though, I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed that we didn't get a detailed report from the day and a half long debate about the composition of Legion expeditionary force. But I am sure that similar opportunities will appear in the future and we will not be deprived of such pleasant experience.

"You wanna send the Navy guys to that new star system down the road?"
"Yeah, sure."
"You wanna fill out the paperwork?"
"Yeah, no."
-the Lords Admiral, probably
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:32 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Black, smoelf, Warer, Foxxonius Augustus, ranger044

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 02:10:13 AM »
I see our author has gone all posh with a separate comments thread, presumably just to make block quoting chunks of each chapter that little bit more inconvenient when replying?

In any event I have now caught up with the Second Chronicle and I am distraught at how far the Legion has fallen, six months and several posts in and no-one has been served light refreshments! Some would argue that Legion doctrine demanding the use of TN minerals in their light refreshments was a mistake, but these people have never had Sorium-enhanced Tea so can safely be ignored. These are dark days indeed.

The wider setting looks fun, while a mineral constraint is not particularly new in Aurora that constraint being a lack of actual reserves (as opposed to not enough mines/too many factories) is not something I've seen before. Also the idea of their being elements of Lost Tech is interesting, lots of tough decisions about when to risk an irreplaceable unit lie ahead which should make for some tense conferences, made all the more volatile by the lack of light refreshments. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:39 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 12:39:57 PM »
I see our author has gone all posh with a separate comments thread, presumably just to make block quoting chunks of each chapter that little bit more inconvenient when replying?

Fortunately in the 21st century we have multiple browser tabs technology which makes this inconvenience trivial to overcome, if perhaps one could still hope for even better technology than what this ancient forum offers us. Still, to ease the discontent of the masses I shall provide the main topic quote tag in the OOC context for those who value such finer details in life as appropriate quote headers.

In any event I have now caught up with the Second Chronicle and I am distraught at how far the Legion has fallen, six months and several posts in and no-one has been served light refreshments! Some would argue that Legion doctrine demanding the use of TN minerals in their light refreshments was a mistake, but these people have never had Sorium-enhanced Tea so can safely be ignored. These are dark days indeed.

Very much so. We all shall eagerly await the return of BritCo to this fine board.

The wider setting looks fun, while a mineral constraint is not particularly new in Aurora that constraint being a lack of actual reserves (as opposed to not enough mines/too many factories) is not something I've seen before. Also the idea of their being elements of Lost Tech is interesting, lots of tough decisions about when to risk an irreplaceable unit lie ahead which should make for some tense conferences, made all the more volatile by the lack of light refreshments. ;)

I'm interested to see how it turns out, as it will be a serious race against the clock to get facilities and colonists to work them into position before supplies run out in the home system. With such very limited support from jump tenders and stabilization ships I am genuinely unsure how things will turn out, although if Alpha Centauri has sufficient minerals that factor may not be too bad to deal with in another year or so. And of course the new spoiler race will be a wrench in the works as well, the Legion has enough naval tonnage including Lost Tech ships to make a good fight of it but getting anything larger than a light cruiser through most jump points will be a long time in coming.

With this, we now provide more fuel for the commentary fire, as once more we see that another update is upon us.

----

OOC Comments

Quote tag for Chapter II:
Code: [Select]
[quote author=nuclearslurpee link=topic=13094.msg162412#msg162412 date=1663436364][/quote]
This finishes year 4100 and it only took two updates, truly one wonders what the world is coming to. As some commenters have surmised, the early discovery of Alpha Centauri did throw a wrench into my plans, thus more custom setup ensued and while it did not take quite as long as the initial game setup I will say that rebuilding systems from scratch is a slow and occasionally painful process. The resulting Alpha Centauri system should, I believe, be an accurate match for the one in vol. I of the Chronicles, aside from of course mineral distributions and some minor details such as the exact asteroids or the climate on some planets and moons. Of course the eccentricity of orbits was not in 1.12 but no one should mind too much.

Let us all take a moment of silence as we remember the poor suffering people of Alpha Centauri-B II, forced to live so many decades with no light refreshments to punctuate their fraught existence. Truly a tragedy on a scale never before seen in history. As for the instigators of this tragedy, well, they shall remain the subject of reckless speculation for now...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:46 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »
Would you consider changing the name of the Comments Thread to something like "Duranium Legion II Comments Thread" to make it stand out on the "recent" section of the front page? While this is the only Comments Thread that lives in my heart, many other comment threads live on the forum.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:23:54 PM by nuclearslurpee »

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »
Would you consider changing the name of the Comments Thread to something like "Duranium Legion II Comments Thread" to make it stand out on the "recent" section of the front page? While this is the only Comments Thread that lives in my heart, many other comment threads live on the forum.

Using my eldritch subforum modding powers, it is done as you have requested. Good catch!