Author Topic: Adding Spotter and artillery units  (Read 1701 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Adding Spotter and artillery units
« on: November 18, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
My empire is steady growing so its ground forces.

My infantry companies has: 36 UN Soldiers, 6 UN LMGs, 5 Support troopers and 6 commanders.
But now I wants to add 2 Forward Observers, these are in a 2 man detachments assigned to a specific company, then I put a 4 SPG company supporting the said infantry company, will this make the cannons fire in support or has the FFDs have to be a part of a company from the beginning? 
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Adding Spotter and artillery units
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 05:54:29 PM »
FFD is only required for support by orbiting ships or fighters - ground unit artillery can be used to support any unit regardless of FFD. In the case of orbiting ships/fighters, it shouldn't matter whether FFD was always present or added later for that to work.

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman, Barkhorn

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 06:42:04 PM »
Note that a ship or squadron coordinated with FFD has the same targeting options as HB when supporting a unit. I've never gotten a confirmation on this, but I strongly believe this means FFD is only effective for front-line formations, since support or rear echelon formations only fire in support of a front-line formation.

I'm also going to note, because I always do, that if your base unit is infantry platoons "companies"  ;)  that you are likely to run into a severe shortage of ground unit commanders well before you reach anywhere close to the size of army you need to wage interplanetary warfare (read: multiple million tons). While this isn't a crippling problem, it generally makes more sense to build larger formations (minimum 5,000 tons, recommended 10,000 to 20,000 tons depending on game state and personal taste) to get the most benefit from your commanders. There are also mechanical benefits to larger formations related to breakthrough probabilities, small formations are more vulnerable to breakthroughs against them which can be very damaging. You might consider infantry regiments or brigades with 3,600 UN Soldiers, 600 UN LMGs, 500 Support troopers, and whatever HQ your roleplay deem necessary (actually this might be a little bit too big, but that's hardly a problem...).

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 02:26:52 AM »
I was about to say, even with 10K sized Battalions you'll need 100 Battalions for a million ton invasion force. Ideally you'll bring several million tons for a homeworld invasion, so honestly you won't enjoy using small units.