Author Topic: 7 Dictators Community Game  (Read 31423 times)

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: 7 Dictators Community Game
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
To prevent something like this to happen at a start of a game one could also turn off precursors and star swarm at the beginning and turn it on again after the setup is finished, couldn't you? Then theoretically these systems shouldn't have aliens in them.

I might suggest to add jumpgates between the systems if we get non-jumpable (war)ships.  Would be realistic as they were established while the colonization took place.
It still makes a little bit sense that we haven't got a navy yet, because while we now about aurora's dangers, the earth alliance might have thought to be alone in space.

I myself wouldn't be against a reset, although I would find it interesting to help building up Tauron/Sirius again, too.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
I'd like to support a restart as this is honestly kinda bleh, but under the following conditions.

First: The restart begins with Hangar Bays and (Maybe) box launchers. If you want, we'll trade a tech for these; Is anyone particularly attached to 25cm railguns? But these two things will make cheap defense actually possible, which means we can handle these situations ourselves. Additionally, this means that we can produce Fast Attack Craft (500 tons) planet-side and store them in hangars as planetary defense forces. So, Brown water navy vs Blue water navy.

Second: In addition to the above, I think you should go ahead and give everyone a 4 ship task force which includes two missile combatants, a flagship/jump ship, and a point defense ship. This way we have mobile forces beyond the range of FACs that we can use to support one another, and we would have some initial forces to work off of. If you're unwilling to SM in the parts for all our custom designs, then just give us a standard design that's kind of crappy. Make them like, 7200 tons, with inferior technologies to what we have now. We don't need a huge task force, but giving each Admiral an actual task force that we can use will go a great deal towards improving the initial stuff we can do. Right now it's kind of... wait several years for ships to be built and trained, then do stuff.

Third: Before we do a restart, I'd like for all the admirals to get together and agree on a Stanardization agreement for missiles, fighter sizes, and maybe fleet standard speed. It seems like we all had wildly different opinions here, and so it just seems easier to talk about it, you know? Get things set up before hand instead of trying to do it in the middle of an alien invasion.

Edit: I just realized I wrote "STANAG Agreement". I've never felt so filthy before in my life.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:56:38 PM by Gidoran »
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »
Starting the game off with a meeting between the admirals (and president) would make sense, too.  Before time advances at all, I mean.  This means that we need to know how best to conduct these meetings.  Doing such over forums or through private messages is a little difficult, from what I can see, so we may want to at least consider an outside message service such as Skype or whatever for use during the big conclaves.  The problem there, of course, is getting everyone online at the same time.

Just some food for thought.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Yeah, the game wasn't set up properly. We have a few options:

1) Reset completely, and set it up better this time. I'm not entirely fond of this option because I've spent some effort analyzing the game as it is. Well, that and I got the best extrasolar colony. >_>

2) Pull back time and SM in forces capable of stopping precursors. Again, while I'm not against resets, I spent a bunch of time analyzing the situation, and I'd rather it didn't change significantly.

3) Continue as is. Hey, there's no reason we can't. It's just not what anyone here really expected, and the story isn't going so great either.

The really nice thing about how it was supposed to be is that everything would get built up from an even start. Want a tech? Research it. Want a 20kt ship? Make the yard. The problem is that nothing much happens in the first years, and of course, we had no defense for the first months. In my opinion, random tech was helpful. Instead of having a setup that somebody has used before, we got something that was new to all of us. So what if you can't do something off the bat? That doesn't make it impossible! All the critical techs are cheap, any single admiral could research em easily enough.

Getting policies, agreements, etc. before time starts might make sense. With the way it was supposed to be, spending the first few years mostly discussing (as nothing else would be happening) would have worked out.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
Starting the game off with a meeting between the admirals (and president) would make sense, too.  Before time advances at all, I mean.  This means that we need to know how best to conduct these meetings.  Doing such over forums or through private messages is a little difficult, from what I can see, so we may want to at least consider an outside message service such as Skype or whatever for use during the big conclaves.  The problem there, of course, is getting everyone online at the same time.

Just some food for thought.

I happen to like IRC, and I can set up a room on irc.rizon.net and explain how to connect for people who've not used the service before. For getting everyone in the same place, we announce the meeting in a thread, the location, and allow people to come in and spectate. You can set a channel up to be so only specific people can talk, which means we can have just the admirals and president talking, with an occasional citizen chiming in when they ask permission from the meeting coordinator.

Alternatively, we just discuss things in the thread.

Yeah, the game wasn't set up properly. We have a few options:

1) Reset completely, and set it up better this time. I'm not entirely fond of this option because I've spent some effort analyzing the game as it is. Well, that and I got the best extrasolar colony. >_>

2) Pull back time and SM in forces capable of stopping precursors. Again, while I'm not against resets, I spent a bunch of time analyzing the situation, and I'd rather it didn't change significantly.

3) Continue as is. Hey, there's no reason we can't. It's just not what anyone here really expected, and the story isn't going so great either.

The really nice thing about how it was supposed to be is that everything would get built up from an even start. Want a tech? Research it. Want a 20kt ship? Make the yard. The problem is that nothing much happens in the first years, and of course, we had no defense for the first months. In my opinion, random tech was helpful. Instead of having a setup that somebody has used before, we got something that was new to all of us. So what if you can't do something off the bat? That doesn't make it impossible! All the critical techs are cheap, any single admiral could research em easily enough.

Getting policies, agreements, etc. before time starts might make sense. With the way it was supposed to be, spending the first few years mostly discussing (as nothing else would be happening) would have worked out.

I'd say #2 would be better, because while my own position is kind of crap, I'd rather not be That Guy and go RESTART EVERYTHING MYEH GET ME A BETTER SYSTEM. That'd just be a dick move on my part. I would like one of the gas giants in Indi to have Sorium in it, but I can live without that, you know? Go back to January 1st, move from there.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline Cripes Amighty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
... I suggest we actually start the game with a basic military (or at least PDC/OWP) setup.  Having these major colonies out there with absolutely zero defenses just seems silly.

Agreed. I motion for OWP over PDC as they generally provide better point defense fire.

... I think we'd best avoid a jump capable navy right off the bat...

Agreed. Two standardized classes such as a destroyer and a frigate that are designed to work together.

To prevent something like this to happen at a start of a game one could also turn off precursors and star swarm at the beginning and turn it on again after the setup is finished, couldn't you? Then theoretically these systems shouldn't have aliens in them.

Good point.

I might suggest to add jumpgates between the systems if we get non-jumpable (war)ships...

Agreed. Allows for trade right away, otherwise we'd be sitting around for two years or so before we can actually begin trading with each other. I imagine that will take up a good portion of the early game anyway, and could cause some interesting situations while everyone builds up forces. Alliances based on who controls which resource etc.
I'd like to support a restart as this is honestly kinda bleh, but under the following conditions.

First: The restart begins with Hangar Bays and (Maybe) box launchers. If you want, we'll trade a tech for these; Is anyone particularly attached to 25cm railguns? But these two things will make cheap defense actually possible, which means we can handle these situations ourselves. Additionally, this means that we can produce Fast Attack Craft (500 tons) planet-side and store them in hangars as planetary defense forces. So, Brown water navy vs Blue water navy.

Second: In addition to the above, I think you should go ahead and give everyone a 4 ship task force which includes two missile combatants, a flagship/jump ship, and a point defense ship. This way we have mobile forces beyond the range of FACs that we can use to support one another, and we would have some initial forces to work off of. If you're unwilling to SM in the parts for all our custom designs, then just give us a standard design that's kind of crappy. Make them like, 7200 tons, with inferior technologies to what we have now. We don't need a huge task force, but giving each Admiral an actual task force that we can use will go a great deal towards improving the initial stuff we can do. Right now it's kind of... wait several years for ships to be built and trained, then do stuff.

Third: Before we do a restart, I'd like for all the admirals to get together and agree on a STANAG agreement for missiles, fighter sizes, and maybe fleet standard speed. It seems like we all had wildly different opinions here, and so it just seems easier to talk about it, you know? Get things set up before hand instead of trying to do it in the middle of an alien invasion.

1. I wouldn't be against this tech being onhand right away. It would definitely allow for some more creative designs.

2. I would say keep it simple. No flagship or jump ships (or combination). Simplified destroyer/frigate combo would be best, probably utilizing railguns or missiles depending on what tech we get. This way, the ships are able to act as a limited point defense platform while also being able to engage hostiles offensively (although it would be limited). Again, these designs are meant to be crappy and scrapped as soon as we start designing some of our own.
Another option would be to give each admiral a certain number of research points for component design to create their own ships. Then give them a certain number of build points so that everyone is on the same footing. This would actually create some interesting gameplay right off the bat as no one would know the others designs and everyone would already be wondering what the other admirals have designed/are hiding away.

3. Agreed. Standardization is nice and makes everything pretty.

Starting the game off with a meeting between the admirals (and president) would make sense, too.  Before time advances at all, I mean...

I wouldn't be against this. Set the ground work for how things will play out.

1. Agreed. No reason to restart completely.

2. I think this is the best option. Restart the game as is with SMed forces.

3. Disagree. There are too many things that were unexpected and have already ruined the flow to the story. It doesn't make sense that we have 1 billion people on planet and then all of a sudden they were nuked out of existence. It doesn't make sense that we don't have jump gates between colonies to allow the movement of that many people to five different colonies. It doesn't make sense that we don't have some form of protection so that the colonies aren't suffering massive penalties from this lack of protection.

While starting from scratch may not have been bad, this is still a multiplayer game. With nothing happening the way it is, and the length of turns for even one year, it would probably have taken well over a month (real time) before the first ship was even constructed. There's no reason to SM absolutely everything we want in immediately, but it makes sense to give each player a little bit of something to work with so that things stay interesting.

As I see it. All colonies need a good number of OWPs (or PDCs if we choose that option) not only for protection from immediate threats, but for the PPV they provide. Every single colony would have become severely hampered by a lack of PPV, and wouldn't have been able to get anything done. It would have taken 6 of the Great Wall Mk.IRs (or 4 Great Wall Mk.IGs) to just barely meet the minimum PPV for any of the colonies. Within a month, the colonies would have started suffering again due to population growth.

I actually really like the idea of giving each admiral a set amount of RP for component design and a set number of build points for them to create their own ships to be SMed in at the beginning. These points should be limited so that each admiral only has enough for 1 good (or maybe 2 crappy) designs and enough build points to build 3~4 ships. Maybe a bonus to Sol (I'm not biased or anything  ;)).

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
I'm down with restart.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
I'd like to say that I am very much for having jumpgates already established between the colonies.  Anything else is just silly from where I'm sitting.

I'm also very much against giving each admiral separate research points from the get-go.  The idea here is that we'll all be in the same faction, under the same ruler, and gradually (as we expand farther and farther from the reach of the central government) some of us might try to become independent.

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
I agree with the reset. Give each colony some OWPs and PDCs, as well as a small 4 ship defense fleet. An IRC channel seem like the best way to hold our Admiralry meetings.

Offline Cripes Amighty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
... I'm also very much against giving each admiral separate research points from the get-go...

The research would only be for component design if we wanted to go with unique ships for each admiral. It seems like each admiral will end up designing their own ships right off the bat, so this would just speed things up.

Just a thought.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
The research would only be for component design if we wanted to go with unique ships for each admiral. It seems like each admiral will end up designing their own ships right off the bat, so this would just speed things up.

Just a thought.

I kind of figured it would slow things down, being more of a burden on the SM.  I think a good solution to this would be to appoint a Head of Research and Development for each faction.  We're only starting with one faction, so we'd only need one person to do this job to begin with.  The admirals, of course, would be advising him on what they need the fleet to be able to do.  This way we don't have a million people designing a million things to bog down the SM.

Really, to do this successfully, I'd suggest that each faction have a President (to manage the civilian side of things,) an R&D head (to design the ships that are in-line with their admiral's fleet doctrine and choose which technologies are needed to help the President with the industrial/economical end of things,) and one admiral (to come up with the fleet doctrines and overall military strategies.)  The goal here really should be to put the least amount of burden on the SM as possible, since s/he already has to keep an eye on absolutely everything.  All other players in a faction would be subordinate to these three.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
The Admiral should retain full control over military designs. The R&D head should merely balance the research needs of each Admiral and the President, and report them to Maharava. Honestly, it should probably either be the President's job, or the SMs - The post is pretty empty other than that one task.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
The Admiral should retain full control over military designs. The R&D head should merely balance the research needs of each Admiral and the President, and report them to Maharava. Honestly, it should probably either be the President's job, or the SMs - The post is pretty empty other than that one task.

Well then I'd recommend at least putting one admiral (Grand Admiral?) in charge of it (per faction, of course.)  Otherwise everything turns into design soup and nothing gets done.  Sure, admirals could vote on it ... but a democratic military?  Talk about slowing things down ...

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
So wait, are you arguing for standardized designs throughout the sectors?

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »
Vote summary:
Shininglight: Restart
ICB: Restart
Panopticon: Restart
Gidoran: Restart
MagusXIX: Restart
Me: Restart

Others
coco, Cripes, kks, Admiral666: Restart

I don't see any votes against it, and we seem to have a majority. Let's do it.

In the hopes of getting this back on track quickly, (without major arguments about what to put in) I suggest we just SM in whatever stopped the precursor (setting up the firecontrols correctly), and continue with our old orders.

ALL IN FAVOR?

[ooc]edit: Added magus. Admiral666[/ooc]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:45:04 AM by Nightstar »