Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186560 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
Having paid almost zero attention to this thread

Then allow me to summarize:

I asked if ground troops' fortification levels were reduced by assaulting them, bombarding them, or some form of air/space support mission.

Steve replied that they weren't currently, but that it was something he should consider. . . though possibly only for the larger [damage] weapons.

Several people argued about whether this was a thing that had historically happened.

One person raised the excellent point 'would this make Aurora more fun?'

Two people discussed (maybe argued) whether it was sensible game mechanics for the attacker to have some ability to reduce the fortification level of defending troops; and if not, whether 'dug in' troops would ever leave their defenses.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:03:38 AM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #496 on: December 17, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
Would there be a way to mark a colony for de-populization? Thinking of simulating people moving to better suited colonies when they become available, and they choose to leave by themselves with civilian colonist transports - rather than having to simulate it by doing it with my own transports.

In that line: is there a weight calculated into where colonists move in terms of suitability of the colony? I would suspect that a colonist would rather move to a 2.00 world than to a 6.45 world - even if the 6.45 would be way closer than the 2.00 world... .

Offline Ciphascain

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
With the removal of PDC are fighters still going to be able to be based on planets or will space stations need to be constructed to house them?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
With the removal of PDC are fighters still going to be able to be based on planets or will space stations need to be constructed to house them?

You will only need maintenance facilities now, hangars are no longer needed to house fighters. You can also designate them to ground support at which time they can not be targeted by enemy space ships and will count as only operating on the planet.

As long as you build planet based maintenance facilities you can house fighters there during an invasion even if you don't control space.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:13:03 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Would there be a way to mark a colony for de-populization? Thinking of simulating people moving to better suited colonies when they become available, and they choose to leave by themselves with civilian colonist transports - rather than having to simulate it by doing it with my own transports.

In that line: is there a weight calculated into where colonists move in terms of suitability of the colony? I would suspect that a colonist would rather move to a 2.00 world than to a 6.45 world - even if the 6.45 would be way closer than the 2.00 world... .

I'd also be interested in evacuating people sometimes through that means.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »

The civilian colony ships will move colonists where space exists. That is much more likely on a 2.00 world as less infrastructure is required to create that space compared to a 6.45 world. Also, they won't move to the 6.45 at all unless you create a colony there.

The minimum pop for directing civilian traffic has been reduced to ten million. Above that level, you can flag a population as a source of colonists.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2019, 06:50:10 AM »
The minimum pop for directing civilian traffic has been reduced to ten million. Above that level, you can flag a population as a source of colonists.

Will that flag remain set even after the colony drops below ten million again due to colony ships ( civilian or player ) moving population away faster than the growth?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2019, 07:10:14 AM »
I think that perhaps there could at least just be a flag for civilian companies to shuttle new population to a colony even if it is below ten million for those rare cases you want to ship the colonist from that world.

I mean you might want to build up a "temporary" military base somewhere and later want to move it someplace else and don't want to maintain that colony anymore

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »
The civilian companies are meant to be 'independent', which is why the limit exists. If you have too much control over where they go, you don't need your own colony ships. They are meant to add a random element to colonisation, so that all colonies naturally grow to some extent rather than just your priority colony.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
The civilian companies are meant to be 'independent', which is why the limit exists. If you have too much control over where they go, you don't need your own colony ships. They are meant to add a random element to colonisation, so that all colonies naturally grow to some extent rather than just your priority colony.

I believe this is an acceptable compromise. After all, in c# we can choose to "shut down" civilian companies, preventing them to build ships/sorium harvesters. So we can simulate empires or races who are too autocratic/alien to have companies
If they do exist instead, they should be sort of independent.

A question though Steve. Can we also have a switch for civilian mining companies? For the same reasons, roleplay.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2019, 09:53:08 AM »

I believe this is an acceptable compromise. After all, in c# we can choose to "shut down" civilian companies, preventing them to build ships/sorium harvesters. So we can simulate empires or races who are too autocratic/alien to have companies
If they do exist instead, they should be sort of independent.

A question though Steve. Can we also have a switch for civilian mining companies? For the same reasons, roleplay.

Yes, that would be easy to add. Although at the moment they are providing about 20% of my wealth :)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
I suppose you can forbid them to enter a specific system as well, you could do that in VB6 if I remember correctly. That would have the effect they will not ferry more colonist to any colonies in that system.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #507 on: December 19, 2019, 04:29:45 PM »
The civilian colony ships will move colonists where space exists. That is much more likely on a 2.00 world as less infrastructure is required to create that space compared to a 6.45 world. Also, they won't move to the 6.45 at all unless you create a colony there.
So if I have two colonies with space free, one with 2.00, one with 6.45 it will be random where the colonists are shipped to?

What can I do then to decolonize a colony if it is below the 10 million pop? Other than doing it myself 😉.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #508 on: December 19, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »
How would army damage calculations work if two parties would attack one? Would that be two separate wars or can we combine those armies and benefit from an allied army?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #509 on: December 19, 2019, 04:35:58 PM »
How would army damage calculations work if two parties would attack one? Would that be two separate wars or can we combine those armies and benefit from an allied army?

This is pretty easy as each army just randomise their attacks, two "allied" armies fight more or less as one army but with separate command structures and supply distributions.

You could even have tree armies on one planet that all fight each other in a three front war.