Author Topic: Aurora c# vs Quasar4x  (Read 3121 times)

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
Aurora c# vs Quasar4x
« on: September 13, 2021, 01:24:14 AM »
Hello, i really like Aurora c# edition, i havent really played the older version, i have now joined the linux universe for real and Aurora4x is not working there.

The only windows-only game i play is Aurora so i am thinking of installing a VM only for that game, yes its a litte slow but i am sure its going to work.

But then i got thinking of Quasar, its Linux native, but what am i going to miss, or what is the main difference between the games?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:20:35 AM by Kyle »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Aurora c# vs Quasar4x
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 04:15:20 AM »
This is is the list of all the feature not included on quasar:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10666

I play quasar sometimes as I really miss the VB6 version. There are some nice little things such as Teams, Fighter squadrons, and PDCs also there are a bit more simple ground units. Yes, you are going to miss a few Aurora C# features probably, but overall I think it's worth to try.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:17:46 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:37:03 AM »
Generally speaking, Quasar is an emulation of the old Aurora VB6.

Some things are the same, other things are similar, and few things are completely different. I'd say you should just give it a go and see how it goes.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 08:20:12 AM »
You could test watch SpaceMarines new series. He is playing it ATM.

Generally the Quasar version is VB6 on speed steroids. Same game but super fast - so ideal for multi-faction or long-last games. Really neat.

The management of fleets in C# is a great improvement from VB6/Quasar; so you will miss that.
Some C# stuff Kyle has also implemented in Quasar like the Prototypes. He also copied the "No Hull" Option, but you still have to build these in a shipyard, not in a factory like in C#.
As already mentioned in C# you have to do troop management on your own as you do with ship classes. Great but time consuming feature - especially replenishing after a lossy fight. In Quasar you only have to research the already given default troop types and manage them.
VB6 still had PDCs - a nice feature which I didn't miss in C# - but I never used it that much back then. It was nice to simulate troop placement on the planet with them though.

Quasar has a functioning civilian transfer system; back in VB6 that was always a bit buggy. So nice to see that it works because it is very useful. I recently in a Quasar game blew it somehow. But if it is a bug we'll find it  ;)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 05:58:19 PM »
The management of fleets in C# is a great improvement from VB6/Quasar; so you will miss that.

Agreed! However, having all ships in one TG performing the same task was a neat feature. Even if now the process is more automated, having to set orders for every single Geological, Gravitational, Miner, Tanker or else is really taking its toll on my carpal especially when my empire grows over the 200 systems known.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:53:03 PM »
Question about Quaser - do NPRs try to invade worlds with ground forces or is it like VB6 where the only time ground combat occurred was if you were invading someone?

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 12:20:21 AM »
Question about Quaser - do NPRs try to invade worlds with ground forces or is it like VB6 where the only time ground combat occurred was if you were invading someone?

Yes, NPRs will do hostile invasions if they can do so relatively safely