Author Topic: Not Enough Admirals  (Read 1290 times)

Offline yourITguy (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • y
Not Enough Admirals
« on: August 29, 2022, 08:47:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in my current game I've noticed that I'm not getting any naval commanders above the rank of Captain (using the US rank system).

I'm running v2.1, realistic promotions is turned and political bonuses is turned off. The game has been going on for 54 years, I have one level 5 academy on Earth with a naval commander assigned and the race-wide training quality is set to 5. My current naval commanders are as follows: 357 lieutenant commanders, 47 commanders, 7 captains, and only 3 admirals (2 lower and 1 upper) which I had to manually promote to command my two diplomatic ships and the academy on Earth. I'm using automated assignments and have the fleet admin commands setup to be automatically assigned as well, but all of my fleet admin commands are currently empty because all of the people that I manually promoted to command them have retired and the game hasn't promoted anyone to replace them.

The ground force commanders are better distributed, though I have no majors at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that's because the majority of my formations require a lieutenant colonel or above.

This is the only game that I've played on v2.x. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the naval commanders?

The following users thanked this post: shadowpho

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Not Enough Admirals
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:20:45 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in my current game I've noticed that I'm not getting any naval commanders above the rank of Captain (using the US rank system).

I'm running v2.1, realistic promotions is turned and political bonuses is turned off. The game has been going on for 54 years, I have one level 5 academy on Earth with a naval commander assigned and the race-wide training quality is set to 5. My current naval commanders are as follows: 357 lieutenant commanders, 47 commanders, 7 captains, and only 3 admirals (2 lower and 1 upper) which I had to manually promote to command my two diplomatic ships and the academy on Earth. I'm using automated assignments and have the fleet admin commands setup to be automatically assigned as well, but all of my fleet admin commands are currently empty because all of the people that I manually promoted to command them have retired and the game hasn't promoted anyone to replace them.

The ground force commanders are better distributed, though I have no majors at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that's because the majority of my formations require a lieutenant colonel or above.

This is the only game that I've played on v2.x. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the naval commanders?

With the new system from 2.x, officers are promoted not only based on the previous ratio but also based on available positions in the chain of command.

The only reason I could see this happening is that you don't have Admin Commands or ships that require that level for an officer. If you are using automatic assignments, the fix is to request an Admiral level as a minimum to fill a particular command station, while if you are using the manual it could be tricky as unless the position ends up requiring that level of seniority, you won't get any promotion.

In both cases, the best is to have ample levels of administration, so that the +1 rank rule kicks in enforcing the appointment of a higher command rank while moving up the chain. Beware that moving forward, this strategy will end up requiring very high-rank levels for any command position and could backfire resulting in every Admin requiring Upper Half or higher to fill the station.

Finally, management of your fleets will be paramount, as even a flag bridge too down the levels could result in excessive micromanaging of your officers to keep up with demands.

You can check here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg156309#msg156309 for the +1 rank rule
and here for the general manual and automatic assignment/promotion http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg156310#msg156310

Changes on on-demand promotions are listed here instead http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg157362#msg157362
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 11:26:05 PM by Froggiest1982 »

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 12:08:52 PM »
With the new system from 2.x, officers are promoted not only based on the previous ratio but also based on available positions in the chain of command.
Only the latter half of this is correct. There is no longer a ratio of any kind. You *must* have a billet for someone to be promoted. An additional feature is that automatic promotions only occur from one rank below. If you have a gap, no one will be promoted to the higher ranks.

To resolve the gap issue, you may wish to create a few admin commands that will create jobs for people all the way up your chain of command.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline yourITguy (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »
Only the latter half of this is correct. There is no longer a ratio of any kind. You *must* have a billet for someone to be promoted. An additional feature is that automatic promotions only occur from one rank below. If you have a gap, no one will be promoted to the higher ranks.

To resolve the gap issue, you may wish to create a few admin commands that will create jobs for people all the way up your chain of command.

Ah, I think that's the problem. I have two levels of fleet admins and set the top on to Fleet Admiral and all of the 2nd level ones to Admiral, but I don't have any admins/ships that require a Rear Admiral (Upper). Thanks!

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »
Just be careful of how many you create. I have the opposite problem, not enough junior officers. Folks are getting promoted FAST to fill all the open roles.