Author Topic: Tracking total civilian shipping sector size  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Tracking total civilian shipping sector size
« on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »
So given that about 95% of lag in the game comes from civilian shipping (by my personal timings) is there a good way to track the total number of civilian ships?

Such that I can experiment with what levels produce acceptable performance for me and go and prune them down when a certain number is reached?

I'd also suggest that the player could set this limit mechanically but I see that has already been suggested many times so I stick to this ask!
Thanks!

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: Tracking total civilian shipping sector size
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 10:46:34 AM »
empire comparison has a civ tonnage display.

wish they'd just start actually building bigger ships instead of ever more of them

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Ultimoos

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »
Does NPR civilian fleets work the same way player ones do? Do they also have internal comodity markets?
I once played with civilian fleet disabled to limit lag, only to see that NPR has enormous civilian traffic.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 03:03:23 PM »
Not an ideal solution but I do this with the fleet screen and work by company. Depending on my empire size I set a limit for the maximum number of ships allowed by a firm, every few years I click through each company and check their total ship numbers, any company that exceeds this number I delete. Soon enough the other firms grow to fill the gap and new firms pop up so it's an endless cycle and you only ever suffer a minor dip in transports for a short time.

The following users thanked this post: Black, ranger044

Offline ranger044

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »
Not an ideal solution but I do this with the fleet screen and work by company. Depending on my empire size I set a limit for the maximum number of ships allowed by a firm, every few years I click through each company and check their total ship numbers, any company that exceeds this number I delete. Soon enough the other firms grow to fill the gap and new firms pop up so it's an endless cycle and you only ever suffer a minor dip in transports for a short time.

That's precisely what I do too

Offline Cristo (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »

Not ideal but sounds good at least - thank you!