Author Topic: Tankers and Sorium Harvesters  (Read 1883 times)

Offline gamemonger56 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
Tankers and Sorium Harvesters
« on: January 12, 2023, 08:58:54 AM »
I have harvesters at a sorium bearing gas giant and theyre happily produces mega-liter of fuel. 

I have 10 large tankers that are full at earth, wont transfer the fuel to earth, and then when they go to the harvesters, do nothing but i guess play poker and spades before heading back to earth with the same fuel they had when they got there.

what to do?

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Tankers and Sorium Harvesters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 09:07:34 AM »
set ship as tanker at design panel
go to on of the tabs in ship design
set minimum fuel at something like 2-3% max capacity level ( adjust when you see how much is needed for tanker to run"empty") - there is zero as default if I remember correctly
order transfer fuel to colony ( it should go to the minimum you have set for this class )
now You have empty tanker ready to go for pickup

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 09:19:11 AM »
hi!

that seems to have worked.  900mill on the planet now. 

anyway to shut off mines?

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »
the only way you can shut are maintanace production and refineries ( fuel production) in industry tab
you don't shut mines

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:16:03 PM »
well crap. 

i hadnt noticed the fuel and maintenance stop buttons on the bottom of the display screen.

better build more fuel bunkers.

the sorium havesters are really hitting their stride

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 12:23:26 PM »
Fuel storage on colonies is unlimited though. Or do you mean more tankers for transport? 'bunkerers'?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
i meant ill have to start dumping fuel at other colonies pretty soon.  the fuel factories on earth have no sorium available, but like i said the harvesters qare doing very well.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 04:16:19 PM »
i meant ill have to start dumping fuel at other colonies pretty soon.  the fuel factories on earth have no sorium available, but like i said the harvesters qare doing very well.

You should move sorium minerals from your mining colonies to earth so they can convert it to fuel. Or you can move your fuel refineries to colonies that mine sorium... either way works well.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 06:05:37 PM »

using sorium mines would be great.  i just started and the mines on earth are all emptied.  Saturn has sorium whiuich is where the harvesters are parked.  Nothing else in the system.

4 wps explored so far, no planets in one, and no sorium whatsoever in the other 3.  I'm assuming a jump point stabliser is the C# equivelent of a gate? because ive always thought putting jump drives on cargo vessels was dumb. . . .

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 07:25:04 PM »
You don't need jump drive on your cargo vessel... you could also build a "gate station"... basically a large station with just a commercial jump engine on it. This is enough for commercial ships that you control to go between systems as if there was a stabilized connection. Your civilian ships will not be able to use them though, only your own commercial designs in your control.

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 10:05:04 AM »
If you are able to produce enough fuel from harvesting gas giants you should idle your refineries.  Refineries convert sorium to fuel, but you also need sorium for some ship components like jump point stabilization modules.  I often create a boneyard on a near-earth asteroid to hold excess refineries (they employ population even when turned off).  I also create a colony on an inner moon of gas giant that is being harvested and plant a refueling station there.  That way the harvesting ships only have a short hop to offload, and can go back to harvesting.  You can then use tankers to draw from those fuel dumps and deliver to other colonies.

A jump point stabilizer modifies the jump point to make it stable.  Jump points that are stabilized can be used by any ship.  if the point has not been stabilized a ship will need to use a jump drive to get through.  Jump tenders supply the drive for other ships - they are basically "gate stations". 

• Chief Petty Officer
  • g
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 11:17:23 AM »

ill try that