Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272791 times)

Offline Demiurge

• Leading Rate
  • D
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2020, 06:51:29 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10640. msg123111#msg123111 date=1586949905
Aurora was deliberately switched away from that to enable drag-and-drop between multiple instances of the same window.   To switch back would require nearly every window increasing in size to fit a multi-function drag-and-drop space.

That makes sense, however on a personal level it's extremely confusing so a toggle would be appreciated at least :)

Another suggestion I have that's probably a bit comprehensive.

With populations now being capped to planet size and growth being tied to the cap, it's now possible to have many small colonies that don't overcrowd and cause massive unrest problems.  This means I now want to colonize a bunch of things and I think an overhaul to the mining system could really benefit here.

Nerf automines into the ground and make them only useful for deposits with easy availability.  Make lower availabilities only mineable by regular mines staffed by actual people, and let those empty deposits continue to produce a trickle of resources once they run out.  This will incentivize smaller, dedicated mining colonies and keep them relevant into the endgame as a source of essential materials.  It will also be nice if this is coupled with deposits being vastly more common everywhere but the average deposit being very poor. 

From a roleplay perspective I always want to colonize Luna and now that the population is capped very low this works perfectly for me for narrative purposes, Luna also having some tiny deposits that would produce at least a little bit of duranium for the duration of a whole game would be fantastic for story telling.  Conversely, rare resources showing up in larger deposits on very high colony cost planets/moons would mean I have an incentive to terraform it to get to those, rather than fire and forget 200 auto mines and a mass driver.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2020, 07:08:38 AM »
Some manner of "permanent capped-output deposit" would be nice, if just to soften the grip of non-newtonian entropy and to allow somewhat more permanent low-intensity mining operations. I can imagine some people would like to keep that entropy factor around though, so i'm wondering what others might feel about it.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
Some manner of "permanent capped-output deposit" would be nice, if just to soften the grip of non-newtonian entropy and to allow somewhat more permanent low-intensity mining operations. I can imagine some people would like to keep that entropy factor around though, so i'm wondering what others might feel about it.

I would also like "permanent capped-output deposits" as you call them. I always liked the idea of heavily colonized home system with lot of small mining outposts in asteroid belts and moons. I did it by SMing low availability deposits in VB6 version, but it would be nice to have it as official feature.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »

I would also like "permanent capped-output deposits" as you call them. I always liked the idea of heavily colonized home system with lot of small mining outposts in asteroid belts and moons. I did it by SMing low availability deposits in VB6 version, but it would be nice to have it as official feature.
A big part of me thinks that such deposits would either have to be represented as mined from the inter-celestial medium as fine dust, (which would make sense for asteroid belt deposits, fluffwise, i suppose), or as sourced from geologically-slow mantle extrusions on volcanically active planets (as it makes sense that it'd be much harder to blow a planet open just to get at it's non-newtonian guts anyway, and the mantle guts could be seen as both incredibly hard to get at at more than a trickle, and very impure).
In either case however, I do think a special rule in addition to availability should cap out the maximum output of the infinite-part of these deposits, just so that these deposits stay modest no matter how many mines you try to throw at them.
Having a hard cap on the infinite flow, anyway, would be great as those deposits would still have a "clearing house" phase like aurora already does, where you instead significantly downsize regional operations instead of immediately moving every single mine off-planet. Which means more of a reason to maintain a populations there, it's not like their presence is completely invalidated by the trickle of minerals suddenly drying up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:34:22 AM by iceball3 »

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2020, 08:11:09 AM »
So uh i just made 1 Battalion (kinda doing things proper) with 3 companies with 3 platoons with 3 sections and i think im going to rip my hair out

So  . . .

Perhaps add a thing called "standard organisation" or something similar

The idea is that i set up what i just did, or even select what ive done and set it as such so that a the GU screen i can produce everything ive just done, with the organisation already done. Essentially its a formation like the other formations, but instead of consisting of units, it consists of other formations (woah thats a lot of formations! :))

I am currently making the 2nd battalion for my regiment (going to consist of 3 battalions) so i think im going to need another tea . . .

Yeah so that didn't happen lol, got to two before i said flip it, just going to do stuff at a platoon level minimum.

so yeah, copy and paste formation hierarchy pretty please :)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2020, 08:23:28 AM »
Once the formations are actually built, you can drag-and-drop them between other formations.  So you can build a Division HQ that is only a single 750,000 command rating HQ component, and then later assign pre-built Regiments to it.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »
Once the formations are actually built, you can drag-and-drop them between other formations.  So you can build a Division HQ that is only a single 750,000 command rating HQ component, and then later assign pre-built Regiments to it.

Yeah but i mean reproducing the entire group of formations on the ground unit training screen, ie being able to produce actual groups of formations to save time

Though i mightve just been taking forever because i was naming everything like 1st battalion - A company - 1st rifle platoon - infantry section Alpha

Online Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
What we need is a queue for ground unit construction complexes so I can first design a division and then just queue the whole division to be built instead of having to build it, platoon, by platoon every 5-15 days.

Since we're now building custom formations in a similar manner to how the industry works (instead of shipyards), it would make sense IMHO to change the whole ground production side to be like construction factories, so you don't assign individual projects to each complex. Instead the complexes increase your BP per production cycle and you just queue everything you want.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:22:16 AM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: Black, thashepherd, DIT_grue, Alsadius, Earthrise, Chris Foster

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »
Would be nice if Governor death would cause auto turns to stop and would be easily differentiated from other officer deaths. After all these are rather important events from game play and RP perspective

The following users thanked this post: Earthrise

Offline TeSparg

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
Quote from: Doren link=topic=10640. msg123186#msg123186 date=1586960314
Would be nice if Governor death would cause auto turns to stop and would be easily differentiated from other officer deaths.  After all these are rather important events from game play and RP perspective
+1 This would be nice.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
What we need is a queue for ground unit construction complexes so I can first design a division and then just queue the whole division to be built instead of having to build it, platoon, by platoon every 5-15 days.

Since we're now building custom formations in a similar manner to how the industry works (instead of shipyards), it would make sense IMHO to change the whole ground production side to be like construction factories, so you don't assign individual projects to each complex. Instead the complexes increase your BP per production cycle and you just queue everything you want.

Yeah, Steve said it's on the list for QoL changes, so hopefully we'll have it in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 03:57:43 PM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: Resand

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
Admin commands should auto-assign.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

Yeah but i mean reproducing the entire group of formations on the ground unit training screen, ie being able to produce actual groups of formations to save time

Though i mightve just been taking forever because i was naming everything like 1st battalion - A company - 1st rifle platoon - infantry section Alpha

I hope you mean renaming after building, not that you have twelve different infantry company templates Able Company through Easy Company to Jig Company.

In your shoes, I would Instant 1200 rifle platoons, 100 MG platoons, 100 mortar platoons, etc. and the various levels of HQ and assemble companies, battalions, regiments, etc., by drag and drop.  Or build many, many GFTFs.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
Admin commands should auto-assign.

No they shouldn't.  As the most important and far-reaching assignments you can make, their effects and interdependencies are so vast and subtle that they profoundly affect your empire and no AI could ever get them right.

Which is why they don't.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia, Resand

Offline Mark Yanning

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Re: C# Suggestions - Medal setting IMPORT EXPORT -
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
I really like the medal managment and costumization.  But every time I start a new game, I have to make custom medals again.  Is there a way to save and import the medal settings from one game to another? That would be nice.  Thanks