Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272733 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #450 on: May 03, 2020, 01:15:39 AM »

If you want to reduce micromanagement, set up a government freighter to run out and collect the minerals and deliver them to the station via cycling orders.

That requires updating the freighter orders every time I set up a mining colony.
If my M.O. is to strip mine all the asteroids, then keeping the freighter orders up to date requires a lot of time.

The simple alternative now is to fling all mining output to a single MD on a body near the center of the system.
Letting us put a MD on a SS saves us hauling time, really.

No, it merely requires one new freighter.  One mining colony, one freighter, one route each.  Not every mining colony and every freighter all on the same route.

Mule 001 gets the Phobos run, Mule 002 gets the Ceres run, Mule 003 gets the Hailey's Comet run, etc.

Assigning one ship per mining colony is a lot of overkill on ship construction, and therefore a lot of wasted fuel, unless you either have massive mining colonies, are using small cargo holds (which is less efficient), or traveling a very, very long way to your mining colonies.

One round trip from a standard cargo hold moves 12.5kt of minerals.
A freighter with a standard cargo hold and three 25% power, size-40 Magneto Plasma engines will make a round trip per year at a range of 11.5Bkm, using 52kL of fuel.
Even if it's a 35Bkm trip to your mining colony, this one ship is moving 4.1kt/year.
That's a lot of output for a mining colony, and will quickly strip most colonies, requiring that I move the mines again (and update the freighter orders again).
And that's at a range of 35Bkm. For a mining colony to keep up with one freighter at 10Bkm, I'd have to pull 43kt/year out of the rock.

Really, I'd just rather plop down a MD and point it at my collection station.

I would suggest the "three 25% power, size-40 Magneto Plasma engines" is the problem (by two engines) and that if you add a step to the orders of 'load one automine at [major colony], unload at [new asteroid]' before traveling to [old asteroid] you could reduce order updates.

Or, I don't know, pick better asteroids?  Personally, I get decades out of each automine colony + single freighter run before I have to alter the orders to 'load automine old colony, unload new colony' for a few years then switch again to 'load minreals mining colony, unload minerals major colony' (plus sometimes 'load automine major colony').

Really, I'd just rather plop down a MD and point it at my collection station.

Yes, exactly.  And this is the problem.  Mass Drivers should not be preferable to government freighters.  They should be the choice of last resort, or reserved for cases like the Earth-Luna run where load & unload times for freighters are longer than the transit time from source to destination.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #451 on: May 03, 2020, 01:22:31 AM »
On the Civilian Economy tab, when a colony is designated as "Source of Colonists", I would like to be able to specify a reserved population amount, such that only population in excess of that amount is considered available for relocation.

This would make it much easier to keep civvies from taking too many colonists and leaving too few workers for my installations.
Right now I have to keep a close eye on it, and switch the status back and forth all the time.

Well, if the amount you want to specify is "25 million" you're in luck.  Otherwise, the answer is government colony ships.

Or start blowing up civilians, starving them of funds, tractoring their ships to capture them (if that exploit still exists) or even outright deleting shipping lines.

Offline Scud

• Petty Officer
« Reply #452 on: May 03, 2020, 02:36:47 AM »
In regards to mass drivers vs civilian shipping, I think it’s clear there’s a difference in perspectives. Mass drivers are simple, convenient, and easy to automate. Ships (civilian or otherwise) are extremely difficult to automate at this time. Plopping down a mass driver or two on each AM colony in a system, as part of the initial shipment of mines, is simply good practice because it is painless. Setting up a circuitous route for a cargo ship (or building individual ships for each site) is just much more of an annoyance (this mine ran out, so now I have to delete all the orders... etc) but the additional gameplay depth of having mineral freighters that can be raided or intercepted makes for a better experience.

What about (what I see as) the best of both worlds: A section on the mineral UI under/next to the “mass driver destination” called “civilian freighter destination”, which then lists all colonies with a spaceport. When you select a destination, this creates a constant civilian contract demand to ship minerals to the selected destination. Civilian shipping this way will easily outstrip mass drivers in efficiency and ease of use, once mineral volumes are large enough.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:40:31 AM by Scud »

Offline Bubbaisagod

• Petty Officer
« Reply #453 on: May 03, 2020, 03:38:53 AM »
The ability to restrict the ship types civilian shipping lines can build/use.
It is mostly for role-playing purposes; but it would be nice if you can make companies
like ESSO Galactic, Häagen-Dazs Cryo Services or Amazon Cargo that specialize in a specific branch of civilian shipping.

Maybe check-boxes on the "Shipping Line" tab could be implemented without too much work,
similar to the check-boxes on the "Repair Report" & "Detailed Fuel Report" tab.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #454 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:33 AM »
It's very strange and counter-intuitive, that Racial (Ground Forces) Weapon Strength depends on "Max Size" (caliber) techs, and fully ignores wavelength / retardation / launch velocity / PB range. Why must infantry weapon depend on max sizes of guns, completely not depending on their "quality"? I think it will be much more consistent to make it on the contrary: both infantry and vechicle weapons can be dependent on "quality" tech lines.

The following users thanked this post: Resand

Offline Salva

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #455 on: May 03, 2020, 05:36:53 AM »
Hi,

not sure if it has been posted, but please, please please:
add a button to disable automatic promotions for all officers, so i do not have to do this for 200 individuals one after the other.

thanks and best regards

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #456 on: May 03, 2020, 05:50:35 AM »
Ability to change rank theme after race creation.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #457 on: May 03, 2020, 07:03:39 AM »
Hi,

not sure if it has been posted, but please, please please:
add a button to disable automatic promotions for all officers, so i do not have to do this for 200 individuals one after the other.

thanks and best regards
Automatic promotions can be turned on or off using the game setting "Realistic Commander Promotions".
Game settings is the third button from the left.
If it isn't working then please post in the bug reports thread.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #458 on: May 03, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
Overall, I really like the new officer system, but I don't think it works as well for things like mining and stabilization as it could.  The problem is that while "you've been promoted, now we're kicking you out to wait for a command at your new rank to come open" is great for warship officers, it doesn't work for officers specializing in other things.  Unless you build a second design with senior commander selected or something, pretty much all of your civilian ships are going to be at your lowest officer level.  So someone who specializes in those things ends up out of a job after they get promoted.  Yes, I could give them a command hierarchy position, but there are a limited number of those, and because the game doesn't actually recognize span of command, at some point, it's actually adding micromanagement and reducing the numbers.  The same happens, to a lesser extent, to survey officers.

So how to solve this?  Add another checkbox to the Ship Design window for flexible command.  This would let the maximum rank on a ship go up to one rank over the minimum.  There's a lot more reason to insist on a strict hierarchy in combat units than in something like a mining operation.

(And yes, I know about the "do not promote" box.  I don't want more micromanagement.)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT, Resand

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #459 on: May 03, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »
1) The ability to delete prototype components in the class design screen.

2) A message to confirm the game has been saved.

Offline SirCookie

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #460 on: May 03, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
I really like to rebuild Systems from Space Engine in  Aurora, the "problem" i am facing is that the Star attributes are just an average for the Star types, a feature what I would like is to enter my own luminosity, mass, radius, temp etc for the stars.

It would be really great if you could add this possibility.

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #461 on: May 03, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
Hostile Flora/Fauna or natives on unsettled habitable worlds that increase the colony cost of a planet until they are pacified by ground forces.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #462 on: May 04, 2020, 12:51:22 AM »
Civilian Mining Colonies are named after the company. But you loose any reference to on what body they have build that colony. It is shown when they found it, but in any of the tabs you then only can see the name of the colony but nowhere the name of the body. Makes it hard to locate.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #463 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
Civilian Mining Colonies are named after the company. But you loose any reference to on what body they have build that colony. It is shown when they found it, but in any of the tabs you then only can see the name of the colony but nowhere the name of the body. Makes it hard to locate.

In Economics view you can check System Body and it will show the name of the body next to the colony name. But it would be certainly nice to have it in Movement Orders list of bodies.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #464 on: May 04, 2020, 02:22:40 AM »
Automatic promotions can be turned on or off using the game setting "Realistic Commander Promotions".
Game settings is the third button from the left.
If it isn't working then please post in the bug reports thread.

AFAIK (I tested it in 1.9.3), "Realistic Commander Promotions" switches only an influence of Political Reliability of Commanders, not an auto-promotion turns as a whole.