Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272788 times)

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #570 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:18 AM »
New movement order: Execute Order Template

I would add this as the first entry under the "Order Templates" radio button.
Then the order templates to pick from is listed in the secondary column.

The options for order templates to pick from are the same as would normally appear in that situation under order templates.
The current Order Template looks at the fleet's current position, so this will have to consider their position at that point in their order / movement queue.

When the fleet executes this order, they clear all of their standing orders, and then add the order template to their orders, same as if the player has at that moment went and added the order template.

This order should be able to be part of a template like any other order.

The rough equivalent can currently be achieved by having fleets send messages and then manually adding the order template when the message pops up in the event log.

The above would allow for infinitely repeating trade routes, without spamming repeat, or having to manually intervene from time to time.

The following users thanked this post: hostergaard, Polestar

Offline joshuawood

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
Overhauls to resupply ships
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
When you overhaul a ship it doesn't resupply, without changing the order system having overhauls resupply ships then you could set survey ships to "If supply points <20 -> go Overhaul" this would fully automate survey ships with the current orders system

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #572 on: May 12, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
Currently, the galactic map uses direct habitability when showing habitable planets in a system, so if you research even colonization cost reduction 5%, every planet that's in the temperature zone but doesn't have a breathable atmosphere instantly turns into a blue dot.  It would be better if it used base habitability (unmodified by the tech) so you can sort the places that have a base cost less than 2.0 from those that are at 2.0.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #573 on: May 12, 2020, 03:27:40 PM »
...I would suggest using a string interpolation system with a user supplied format string, but it seems C# doesn't support that out of the box ...

Really? I think it does.
That was one of the first things I looked at.  It fails for two reasons:  It is static compiled so it can't handle dynamic format strings, and even if it was dynamic there is no way to limit the scope.  Either of these faults by itself would be grounds to reject it outright.

The FormattableString class allows dynamic format strings.
Do we really need string interpolation instead of composite formatting?

Not sure what you mean about limiting scope.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #574 on: May 12, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »
...I would suggest using a string interpolation system with a user supplied format string, but it seems C# doesn't support that out of the box ...

Really? I think it does.
That was one of the first things I looked at.  It fails for two reasons:  It is static compiled so it can't handle dynamic format strings, and even if it was dynamic there is no way to limit the scope.  Either of these faults by itself would be grounds to reject it outright.

The FormattableString class allows dynamic format strings.
Do we really need string interpolation instead of composite formatting?

Not sure what you mean about limiting scope.
FormattableString only takes positional parameters, not named parameters, and requires that all parameters be used.  Optional parameters aren't allowed.  The first is problematic at best and the second is a showstopper.  Think of this as being like environment variable expansion, with Aurora providing a dictionary and the user choosing which entries to include and how to display them.

C# string interpolation has access to all symbols visible from the declared scope.  While that is fine for a programmer supplied immutable string, it is far too broad when using user defined input.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #575 on: May 12, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »
A couple of suggestions regarding Civilian shipping lines:
If a line already exists that has no ships, don't create new lines.
If a line has no ships and does not have enough money to build one, it should fold.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #576 on: May 12, 2020, 08:08:45 PM »
Actually my intent is to not have a "1st Infantry Company" and a "1st Machine Gun Company" and a "1st Mortar Company" and a "1st Headquarters Company" and a "1st Anti-Air Company" and a "1st Logistics Company" and a "1st Transport Company" and a "1st Infantry Battalion" and a "1st Tank Battalion" and a "1st Artillery Battalion" and a "1st Headquarters Battalion" and a "1st Fire Support Battalion" and a "1st Communications Battalion" and a "1st Infantry Division" and a "1st Armoured Division" and a "1st Motorized Division" and a "1st Mechanized Division" and a "1st Mountain Division" and a "1st Marine Division" and a "1st Desert Division" and a "1st Arctic Division" and a "1st Naval Division" and a "1st Jungle Division" and a "1st Swamp Division" and a first any other bloody thing.

I remember the nightmare it was trying NOT to have a system named Le Harve [sic] and how it damn near ruined that empire.

I might regret asking but what do you do with your ships? Do you rename them in order of launch date, regardless of class?
Father Tim's system is actually used by many militaries.  The logic is that the divisions are really:
1st Division, Arctic
2nd Division, Desert
3rd Division, Arctic
4th Division, HQ

IIRC that system dates back to the Romans.

That might be true for divisions IRL but IRL the sub-units of the divisions don't cause the division numbers to increase.
The way Aurora currently works gives you an orderly numbering of units as long as you don't have units in a hierarchy.
I'd be in favour of more options for unit naming and numbering like ships have.
As an aside,  does each level or type of unit have it's own numberline IRL? (I imagine it depends on the country)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #577 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
Actually my intent is to not have a "1st Infantry Company" and a "1st Machine Gun Company" and a "1st Mortar Company" and a "1st Headquarters Company" and a "1st Anti-Air Company" and a "1st Logistics Company" and a "1st Transport Company" and a "1st Infantry Battalion" and a "1st Tank Battalion" and a "1st Artillery Battalion" and a "1st Headquarters Battalion" and a "1st Fire Support Battalion" and a "1st Communications Battalion" and a "1st Infantry Division" and a "1st Armoured Division" and a "1st Motorized Division" and a "1st Mechanized Division" and a "1st Mountain Division" and a "1st Marine Division" and a "1st Desert Division" and a "1st Arctic Division" and a "1st Naval Division" and a "1st Jungle Division" and a "1st Swamp Division" and a first any other bloody thing.

I remember the nightmare it was trying NOT to have a system named Le Harve [sic] and how it damn near ruined that empire.

I might regret asking but what do you do with your ships? Do you rename them in order of launch date, regardless of class?
Father Tim's system is actually used by many militaries.  The logic is that the divisions are really:
1st Division, Arctic
2nd Division, Desert
3rd Division, Arctic
4th Division, HQ

IIRC that system dates back to the Romans.

That might be true for divisions IRL but IRL the sub-units of the divisions don't cause the division numbers to increase.
The way Aurora currently works gives you an orderly numbering of units as long as you don't have units in a hierarchy.
I'd be in favour of more options for unit naming and numbering like ships have.
As an aside,  does each level or type of unit have it's own numberline IRL? (I imagine it depends on the country)
Point.  Different levels should be numbered independently.  I was still thinking in terms of the old VB system where you are normally only building brigades.  My bad.

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
« Reply #578 on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:33 AM »
Ability to import and export ship, components and other player designed systems. Or anything else relevant. And have it exportable in various usable formats like spreadsheet

I know its complicated with ships for example because of the player designed components not necessarily existing or might not be possible with whatever research level, but with the new prototype feature what if missing components simply got added as prototypes?

And if we get to export ships and designs, maybe make us able to select the export file type? I would love to be able to export my stuff into spreadsheets, I tried to make it work with old aurora but it was quite a mess. So exports like text spreadsheets would be nice.

Lastly, in the same vein, export and import fleet organization? And choose the export format so I can have my spreadsheets?

Hell, just most anything being exportable and importable and in particular formats like spreadsheets would be heavenly and would make things so much easier to set up. Especially early game, it could cut down on the time it takes to set up all the stuff you always set up and let you focus on the parts you like spending time on. Like, I just spend a couple of hours setting up medals. If I could reuse that work it would be absolutely wonderful!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:42:34 AM by hostergaard »

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
« Reply #579 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:35 AM »
New movement order: Execute Order Template

That gave me an idea!

Ability to add and have fleets execute order templates in standing orders and conditional orders.

Basically, some way to make order templates used as a standing order. So it either default to some costum command or when triggered like any other standing order or conditional order. This would also be helped if we had generalized commands in movement orders. Which would be a nice thing to have anyway. Like, refuel at the nearest colony or tanker a movement order. Would save some work not having to select it yourself. It could be a "location", so to speak, named general orders or something that is always there on top and the default selected on when you open the window. Would be rather handy.

This could further be expanded by allowing order templates to call other order templates. I bet we could set up some rather fancy and snazy behaviors then!

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #580 on: May 13, 2020, 05:33:49 AM »
I think I'm unoriginal and reccurrent, but.

Steve, plead to set starting admin levels of civillian administrators to 1, at least if "Realistical promotion" rule is on.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #581 on: May 13, 2020, 06:20:37 AM »
Another feature to help with pushy youngsters:

Empire-level option, smth like "Lowest master rank tier" to make additional realistic and decision-flexible rank system level with Lieutenant as a starting (lowest) rank, not Lieutenant Commander.

That will help greatly with auto-assignments, decomposing small craft (mostly fighters) COs - lieutenants, and larger boats (mostly LACs) COs - lieutenant commanders.

I'll play with even more detailed rank schemes - with Second Lieutenants, to use "Senior C.O." option at my bigger and newer fighters, leaving smallest and oldest to my Second Lieutenants as training wings - in this case I'll set this proposed "Lowest master rank" option to "3".

(Now I'm playing all my campaigns with Lieutenant ranks, but it's quite difficult.)

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #582 on: May 13, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
As I am sitting here doing 36 refits of a frigate to a slightly better one, I found myself thinking that we need a refit queue. These refits take maybe 20-25 days. And so, every 20-25 days I have to click on one of the 5 buttons that brings up the colony info, switch to the shipyards tab, switch to refit, select the ship type to refit from, and click refit for each ship till the slipways are full. NB: I do not have a shipyard that has 36 slipways.

That's quite a lot of clicking and adjusting for the same task over and over again. I would much rather that I could queue up the additional refits. This would lock the ships in place, just as if they were in refit.

On a similar note, we should probably have a queue for production of ships as well.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #583 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »
As I am sitting here doing 36 refits of a frigate to a slightly better one, I found myself thinking that we need a refit queue. These refits take maybe 20-25 days. And so, every 20-25 days I have to click on one of the 5 buttons that brings up the colony info, switch to the shipyards tab, switch to refit, select the ship type to refit from, and click refit for each ship till the slipways are full. NB: I do not have a shipyard that has 36 slipways.

That's quite a lot of clicking and adjusting for the same task over and over again. I would much rather that I could queue up the additional refits. This would lock the ships in place, just as if they were in refit.

On a similar note, we should probably have a queue for production of ships as well.

Try the Auto Refit task from the shipyard. It will keep repeating the same refit as long as there are ships available.

The following users thanked this post: macks

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #584 on: May 13, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
...And so, every 20-25 days I have to click on one of the 5 buttons that brings up the colony info, switch to the shipyards tab...

Sidenote: double clicking the "refit completed" event will open the econ window to the shipyards tab.

The following users thanked this post: macks