Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272762 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #2100 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:53 AM »
Is there an easy way (I guess not) for Steve to add a kind of "preserve orders" functionality? Idea is automation. With any resupply/refuel ship you basically have to join the target fleet and let the internal function of the now-sub-fleet refuel the main fleet. However when the target fleet is filled up one can only manually remove that sub-fleet and set up new orders to continue. So if it could be possible to "preserve orders" when a fleet goes "sub-fleet" and automatically detaches when their internal function is fulfilled and those orders would "reappear" in that new born fleet... it would help with some automations and easy micromanagement.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2101 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »
I See and agree that this could go to levels of exploitation. The idea was to have a finer degree between military and civilian - not this abrupt "arbitrary" line at size 25 / engine modifier 0.5x. It would be interesting to see how small maintenance would get if all engines would be military. Is there an option to switch the calculations to all engines being military? I don't think so... well, will take a look into how this all is calculated (oh dear, what am I putting myself into here  ;D ::) ).

There is not an option, but you can easily make all ships military simply by mounting a non-commercial component on every ship. 55-ton sensors, compact ECM, non-CIWS defensive weapons, size-1 box launchers loaded with a "distress beacon" or "courier drone", small defensive shield generators... lots of possibilities. It's important to remember that the engines are really only one part of what defines a "commercial ship".

Personally I do not find it a problem. It is not difficult IMO to say that "commercial" designations are those which the government has said that civilian contractors can service in a maintenance dock, and "military-grade" technology must be serviced by military service docks, for example.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2102 on: September 18, 2021, 05:02:38 AM »
An idea for a multiplayer setup.

ATM we can't send the aurora DB around because even with a password everyone could simply look into the DB to see anything or just remove the password to be able to see all. We could prevent this if we could get an option for Aurora to be able to open a DB on an online drive. It should not be possible to download that DB via the link; but if we could let Aurora open that online DB it would make Multiplayer Games a bit more accessible.

If all players are set up with a password no one could look into what the others are doing and the SpaceMaster could make the DB available to the players so in case they want to or have to do something they could do it in the online DB. It would be nice if the time progression buttons would be disabled when an online DB is accessed so no one accidentally progresses time. Once all players have done their changes the SpaceMaster can continue time progression.

Don't know where such files could be uploaded that no one could download them except the Aurora-Program... . Also if multiple players would want to edit their empires they would need to coordinate so only one player at a time is editing his empire and no data will be lost.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2103 on: September 18, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
The biggest issue with that is likely dealing with concurrent access to the DB.  Time progression is not necessarily the only issue there.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2104 on: September 18, 2021, 11:37:32 AM »
It's not a bad suggestion, but I want to point out that this would essentially require Steve to code multiplayer code (painful) and put together some kind of Aurora server to host these remote-access DBs (painful + $$$), so I highly doubt any kind of multiplayer functionality would happen even though it would be really cool.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2105 on: September 18, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »
As far as I can oversee this, the functionality Steve would need to add is a) the blocking of the time progression if the DB comes from a server and b) some kind of remote access to a DB that is not in the game folder but rather on some kind of web address. I originally thought that anyone could host the file for example on google drive - but it is not possible to block downloads from there. But maybe there are other services that could host that file but make it so that it can only be accessed by a private Aurora User and therefore keep it from being downloaded (and spied upon).

For anything else the players are responsible - meaning - only one player at a time. Otherwise: data garbage.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2106 on: September 19, 2021, 04:10:56 AM »
We need that asteroid  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2107 on: September 25, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
About the "Surveyed Bodies" option in the display settings for the system map, wouldn't it make more sense if it did the opposite and highlighted the unsurveyed bodies instead of the surveyed ones? It would just mean less visual clutter on the system map. You don't really need to see these circles around every body in a system that you surveyed 100 years ago. I know you can just turn it off, but my point is that if it highlighted the unsurveyed bodies instead, then you wouldn't need to turn it off, since the visual clutter would automatically disappear once the system has been surveyed.
Unless I guess maybe people like having the circles around every body to make it easier to see what's a body and what isn't.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, serger, DEEPenergy, ISN

Offline Fistandantillus7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
« Reply #2108 on: September 26, 2021, 10:41:36 PM »
Krypton
Xenon
…Because the moon and mars lose oxygen, nitrogen and water vapour to space IRL but might hold on to Xenon. The graph on the top right of this Wikipedia page shows that gases above a planetary dot are that are likely to be lost and those below are likely to be retained.

Radon
Oganesson
…For our radiation eating alien allies

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2109 on: September 30, 2021, 07:54:44 PM »
I know we can now make fake infirmaries and instant them in, but would it be possible to get infirmaries with a real function, i.e. reduce battle casualties?

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #2110 on: October 01, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
An optional auto pause feature that is player definable.  For example, once per year I like to check my colonies, fleets, research, production, etc.  Other players may want to do it more or less often.  Or not at all (thus the optional aspect).

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2111 on: October 02, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
So I just had an NPR generate in a system in my current game but there is a problem, aside from overpopulation and dangerous gasses on their homeworld which are known and fixed in the next version, their home system in general can be incredibly resource poor.

I only noticed this because my espionage ship just managed to tease out the system geo survey from the NPR and I realized that aside from the NPR homeworld which doesn't have much resources (that's fine), the rest of the system had basically nothing. No additional gallicite, no additional duranium, no additional sorium whatsoever. One body had a quarter mil uridium deposit but that was all.

Thanks to my intel I was able to fix this by sm rerolling planets around the system until their home system actually had decent resources in most essentials (still no extra mercassium) however I would have had no idea this problem even existed if it wasn't for my cloaked ELINT ship.

My suggestion is that when an NPR is generated mid-game, the game should go through the system and ensure that there is something extra for the NPR to work with. Yes, in a sol start you aren't guaranteed abundance but you are as the player guaranteed to get something on the other bodies of the solar system beyond the poor resources of earth. Especially since NPRs are bad at resource management this might help them be a little more competitive.

Also re-suggesting multi-system NPR generation to spice up those random NPRs.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2112 on: October 02, 2021, 06:37:11 PM »
My suggestion is that when an NPR is generated mid-game, the game should go through the system and ensure that there is something extra for the NPR to work with. Yes, in a sol start you aren't guaranteed abundance but you are as the player guaranteed to get something on the other bodies of the solar system beyond the poor resources of earth. Especially since NPRs are bad at resource management this might help them be a little more competitive.

Adding to this, it may be worth giving NPRs a larger starting stockpile of resources (if they don't already, I have not checked) to account for the fact that, especially on higher-population starts, important minerals may be depleted in only 5-10 years and the NPRs often struggle to establish a robust offworld supply of key minerals. This doesn't solve the problem but it does provide a bit more of a buffer for the NPRs to keep their industry and shipbuilding functional while a crunch is resolved.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline RaidersOfTheVerge

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #2113 on: October 02, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »
I've been playing with tech in upper part of the middle third or so.  Solid Core AM engines and stuff about that level.  AFR and MSP requirements seem to skyrocket.  It would be great if there were some researchable tech mitigation to this inflation.  Maybe advanced engine rooms, maint.  bays that can store more MSP per HS,  or just researching general tech that lowers MSP needed per repair.  I. e Base Repair Method; repair cost = 1. 2 x base MSP, Improved Repair Method 1. 0, Advanced Repair Methods 0. 8, Predictive Repair Methods 0. 6, etc.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:31:30 PM by RaidersOfTheVerge »

The following users thanked this post: papent, nakorkren, ISN

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2114 on: October 03, 2021, 01:03:43 AM »
An optional auto pause feature that is player definable.  For example, once per year I like to check my colonies, fleets, research, production, etc.  Other players may want to do it more or less often.  Or not at all (thus the optional aspect).

Until something like this is added I suggest creating a small station around your capital and give it a repeating "send message" order to your capital every 365 days. This will in-effect pause your game once a year.

I personally have it set up to cycle 3 -365 and once 366 day orders to account for leap year some my game "auto-pauses" every Jan 1st.