Author Topic: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition  (Read 74048 times)

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2020, 05:39:03 AM »
Salvagers [or in another universe: goblinite haulers] had already been our most important propulsion researchers for more than a decade. (Neighbours at war with each other can be very profitable, and more recently, Cygnites and Rifters have served the Union's scientific community admirably.) Now, they are also becoming the most important gallicite miners alongside the rapidly expanding mining colony on Luna. (Ninnyhammers! We had spent years trying to ship in gallicite to Earth from ever more distant systems along increasingly unsafe supply lines, when we finally remembered that the solution to that problem lies little more than a light-second away. Albeit buried deep under Luna's craters at 0.3 overall accessibility, there are 1.6 megatons of the stuff in orbit of Earth...) The rich asteroid belt of Kalil can now serve Canelones again, as was initially intended. There and in Sol, with only minor delays, the first fusion-powered warships have entered service in recent weeks.

However, if the next Rifter incursion should be bigger than the last, Sol may be doomed anyway. Plans for an offensive against the United Kingdom in the Vallejo Frontier areas have been suspended. Until the time when (make that: if) our fusion-fleet building program is complete, the few ships and stations we have left must guard the center. The jump point from Luyten's to Sol may become our last line of defence, it sits between the asteroid belt and the orbit of Mars or in other words: right above our heads. These days, no scout can be spared to observe whatever might be emerging from the Void in MuCas, only some static sensor outposts that haven't been vapourized yet may herald an attack a few days before it strikes if we're lucky, and who knows how large a force Luyten's Abyss may spit out tomorrow to wreak havoc right in our heartland. Last year, we lost an entire group of terraformers in Barnard's on top of a string of destroyed commercial ships and substantial damage to one of our mining colonies. One bright spot in a sea of gloom: Our experimental microwave fighter design proved its usefulness in a first, successful mission; ten brave "Roaster" class fighters were ultimately all destroyed, but we lost no other ships to that roasted Rifter flotilla before it was eventually digested by a salvager. The believers have it wrong: If we should be able to survive until we find the "Ancients", we will have learned to deal with the incursion. We ourselves shall BE the Ancients.

Having inadvertently broken this thread twice in recent days with attachments for forum software reasons I don't understand, this time, I'll not attempt to show you a bunch of wrecks around a jump point near a friendly little rift in your neighbourhood or, as much of our new fusion-powered generation of exploration ships has lunged one step further into the unknown, a map of our now >400-system-encompassing ball of galactic wool. Simply try to imagine a navy blue, exceptionally ugly mess engraved with green goblin drawings of a drawing goblin and decorated with incoherent scribblings of various colours.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »
Having inadvertently broken this thread twice in recent days with attachments for forum software reasons I don't understand, this time, I'll not attempt to show you a bunch of wrecks around a jump point near a friendly little rift in your neighbourhood or, as much of our new fusion-powered generation of exploration ships has lunged one step further into the unknown, a map of our now >400-system-encompassing ball of galactic wool. Simply try to imagine a navy blue, exceptionally ugly mess engraved with green goblin drawings of a drawing goblin and decorated with incoherent scribblings of various colours.

For images it is probably better to host them on a third site like Imgur and paste them into the post with image links. More tedious to do but it works more reliably.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2020, 03:55:35 PM »
The 1st Destroyer Squadron had been dispatched to the Stevenage system, after an unarmed exploration ship detected three of the robotic vessels known to sometimes attack explorers. Dealing with them had become routine by this point, and the rest of the fleet was needed elsewhere.

Even before it reached the coordinates of the previous contact, a single vessel was detected near one of the system's Lagrange points. It immediately began to flee and the fleet pursued; even though they were slower than the hostile vessel, perhaps it would lead them to its fellows. Then, as the fleet approached the Lagrange point, everything went wrong.

An enormous fleet of enemy vessels abruptly jumped into the Lagrange Point well inside missile range. It was far larger than the paltry three vessels the squadron was expecting, and outmassed the ships many times over. The Squadron immediately started rapid launching their missiles while coming around and running for the jump point. They could return later with reinforcements, if they survived the next few minutes.

Soon incoming missiles were detected as well, over one hundred and eighty missiles per salvo again far outnumbering the squadron's measly thirty six launchers.

The first Terran salvos to reach their target proved mostly ineffective against the massed point defense, but the followup salvos used MIRV missiles designed specifically to thwart those defenses. First, though, the squadron had to deal with their own incoming.

Fortunately, the advanced tech of the squadron seemed up to the challenge. Of the 182 missiles, 80 were shot down by point defense and only 26 of the remaining 102 hit, no doubt due in large part to the advanced ECM systems they carried. Each missile was also less than half as powerful as the warheads carried by Terran missiles, and the 26 hits hardly scratched their target.

The first 36 Morningstar missiles reached the designated distance from their target and split into 144 small Dart missiles that began closing in at over a sixth the speed of light; they would be much harder targets.

Not only did the results thoroughly quash any hopes of turning the tables, they also convinced the squadron commander to abandon any thoughts of coming about and closing for a beam engagement.

Additional missile contacts, suddenly appearing after several minutes of quiet, also proved that the first salvos had just been an attempt to gauge the fleet's missile defenses.

Once again, the squadron performed beyond expectations against the missiles - each time, nearly half were shot down and three quarters of the remainder failed to hit their targets, but that still left more than two dozen successful impacts every few seconds, and every single missile homed in on the squadron's only jump ship. It was unlikely their foes realized it was the jump ship, of course, but they may have detected it was the source of most of the squadron's point defense fire. For whatever reason, the enemy fleet launched over a thousand missiles with it as the sole target.

The first four salvos took down the shields. Three more salvos and a lucky hit penetrated the armor, taking out the ship's jump drive and stranding the squadron in the system. But that wasn't the end of it, and after two more salvos the ship catastrophically exploded. The rest of the missiles vanished from the squadron's sensors, having lost their target.

With sensors clear of more incoming, the remaining ships of the squadron stopped to pick up lifepods and then moved to disengage, the enemy fleet appearing slightly slower and seemingly unwilling to detach faster ships to engage them. They had no way out of the system, but if they could disengage they simply needed to wait for reinforcements to arrive. At the very least, they were alive.

(I just want to thank Steve for an AI that truly surprised me several times. Despite a large disparity in tech and ships designed specifically to deal with them, the AI managed to turn the tables on me and inflict a serious reversal.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:56:27 PM by Bremen »

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Zap0, skoormit, nuclearslurpee

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »
Somehow adding greenhouse gases to Mars made the temperature worse and my colonists are dying.

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »
One occasion when I add oxygen it causes all the water (100%!!) on the planet to evaporate instantly turning the planet into a 158 degree C world  :(
I definitely should have removed those CO2 first :-\

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »
The 1st Destroyer Squadron had been dispatched to the Stevenage system, after an unarmed exploration ship detected three of the robotic vessels known to sometimes attack explorers. Dealing with them had become routine by this point, and the rest of the fleet was needed elsewhere.

Even before it reached the coordinates of the previous contact, a single vessel was detected near one of the system's Lagrange points. It immediately began to flee and the fleet pursued; even though they were slower than the hostile vessel, perhaps it would lead them to its fellows. Then, as the fleet approached the Lagrange point, everything went wrong.

An enormous fleet of enemy vessels abruptly jumped into the Lagrange Point well inside missile range. It was far larger than the paltry three vessels the squadron was expecting, and outmassed the ships many times over. The Squadron immediately started rapid launching their missiles while coming around and running for the jump point. They could return later with reinforcements, if they survived the next few minutes.

Soon incoming missiles were detected as well, over one hundred and eighty missiles per salvo again far outnumbering the squadron's measly thirty six launchers.

The first Terran salvos to reach their target proved mostly ineffective against the massed point defense, but the followup salvos used MIRV missiles designed specifically to thwart those defenses. First, though, the squadron had to deal with their own incoming.

Fortunately, the advanced tech of the squadron seemed up to the challenge. Of the 182 missiles, 80 were shot down by point defense and only 26 of the remaining 102 hit, no doubt due in large part to the advanced ECM systems they carried. Each missile was also less than half as powerful as the warheads carried by Terran missiles, and the 26 hits hardly scratched their target.

The first 36 Morningstar missiles reached the designated distance from their target and split into 144 small Dart missiles that began closing in at over a sixth the speed of light; they would be much harder targets.

Not only did the results thoroughly quash any hopes of turning the tables, they also convinced the squadron commander to abandon any thoughts of coming about and closing for a beam engagement.

Additional missile contacts, suddenly appearing after several minutes of quiet, also proved that the first salvos had just been an attempt to gauge the fleet's missile defenses.

Once again, the squadron performed beyond expectations against the missiles - each time, nearly half were shot down and three quarters of the remainder failed to hit their targets, but that still left more than two dozen successful impacts every few seconds, and every single missile homed in on the squadron's only jump ship. It was unlikely their foes realized it was the jump ship, of course, but they may have detected it was the source of most of the squadron's point defense fire. For whatever reason, the enemy fleet launched over a thousand missiles with it as the sole target.

The first four salvos took down the shields. Three more salvos and a lucky hit penetrated the armor, taking out the ship's jump drive and stranding the squadron in the system. But that wasn't the end of it, and after two more salvos the ship catastrophically exploded. The rest of the missiles vanished from the squadron's sensors, having lost their target.

With sensors clear of more incoming, the remaining ships of the squadron stopped to pick up lifepods and then moved to disengage, the enemy fleet appearing slightly slower and seemingly unwilling to detach faster ships to engage them. They had no way out of the system, but if they could disengage they simply needed to wait for reinforcements to arrive. At the very least, they were alive.

(I just want to thank Steve for an AI that truly surprised me several times. Despite a large disparity in tech and ships designed specifically to deal with them, the AI managed to turn the tables on me and inflict a serious reversal.)

Terrifying.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2021, 10:18:33 PM »
Started a new game today.  40% research/scanning and so on/

9 years in a conventional start.

- colonized Luna and Mars
- Set up some mining outposts in Sol
- Sol is fully geo-scanned

Built 4 divisions (120k) of ground troops

Built 4 dinkly 4500 ton frigates (railgun ships), and have a tanker fleet, 4 geo survey ships, and 2 colony ships.

Now my conversions are finishing from conventional industries, so the next ten years will be me doing some desperatly needed research then start poking my way out of Sol.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
I had forgotten just how bad early tech is is. Lost a lot of ships because I thought my Marines would be able to take a precursor station. They couldn't, I should have killed it immediately. RIP 1000t of Marines and RIP around 70kt of ships.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2021, 01:38:27 PM »
I had forgotten just how bad early tech is is. Lost a lot of ships because I thought my Marines would be able to take a precursor station. They couldn't, I should have killed it immediately. RIP 1000t of Marines and RIP around 70kt of ships.

F

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2021, 08:04:33 PM »
TLDR: Its been great fun.  Thanks Steve for 20-odd years of "Just ONE more turn"

Having a lot of fun with the current campaign.  Random Stars (as always) and LOT of habitables compared to usual.  Startup system was a binary but the B component was a bit far away to use until I could set up LP to it (which became a bit of a priority once I noticed that there were Alien Ruins out there).  Discovered two separate races in one line of systems, and the other appeared to dead end, so that meant a bit of turtling as the first race blew away my explorer/diplomat as their first greeting and it took a while to build a fleet to cope with them - only to find that they had disappeared (Rakashas as it turned out).  Race 2 were a bit more talkative, in fact a bit too much as they started demanding we leave the ex Rakasha system which was our only remaining exit from the Homeworld.

This rather quickly degenerated to policy discussions by means of Fusion warheads, but while reducing their fleet was a interesting challenge, occupying their homeworld was going to be a very difficult problem (ground forces in the six figure range) so the next several years was spent building up our ground forces (largely Militia, but with twenty or so Armoured Divisions and a similar amount of Heavy Infantry) and then transporting them to one of the other T-type planets in the alien system using the Divisional Transports which increased from one to over a dozen in the period.

After the initial battle (which took about 6 months to reduce the defending forces to near zero - last few holdouts took forever to eliminate) and some radiation and a lot of dust in the atmosphere I discovered that we needed even more troops to force a surrender - another big increase in militia brigades (basically 15,000 troops with personal weapons, no HQ or other fancy stuff).

Then comes the clean-up after the pop surrenders - Terraformers in to pump aestium into the atmosphere to negate the 43c temp drop due to dust, vast quantities of infrastructure to protect the existing pop - in the four years it took to get back to Col Cost 0 they lost about 40% of their population, but due to the very heavy ground forces left even after I started to withdraw the Regular Army and just left the Territorials they quickly moved up the Conquered-Occupied-Candidate-Imperial track having just become fully contributing members of the Imperium.  I think that there is still some remnants out there somewhere tho.  I just finished a shortish battle pinning down a bunch of 9 CLE's and associated destroyers and Troop Transports (and using my first ever boarding action) and got a brief contact report from one of my surveyors on another force. 

One peculiarity was that civilian craft kept suddenly appearing in the system adjacent to the alien homeworld and sitting peacefully over one of my colonies there. I had turned the alien status to neutral so the planetary defences left them alone.  Eventually discovered that there was an alien 0 pop colony on the body when it surrendered after the battle with the CLE group (which was four systems away on the other side of their homeworld).

So now I have at least three more alien races on my borders to deal with (would have been four but one turned out to be another set of self destructing Rakashas) at least two of which appear to be well in advance of me if their speed of Jump Point Stabilisation is anything to go by, two thirds of the fleet is in urgent need of refitting, some of them three generations behind the latest designs (particularly the beam ships).  The proportion of habitables is way higher than my usual experience, and a lot of good terraforming prospects that only need marginal tweaking when I can get the fleet that was sitting over the alien homeworld to relocate  (They're a bit slow c 500Km/s) after my tugs have finished briging in the marginal ships from the recent battles I'll get them right on it.

Slàinte,

Mike

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2021, 12:43:10 AM »
Being annoyed at the firepower of precursor races. Fired a volley of 144 AMMs at a planet to test their capability of planetary defence - and they shot down ALL of them in ONE blast of some kind of beam weapon... . Need to get a bigger fleet over there... .

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2021, 12:46:25 AM »
Being annoyed at the firepower of precursor races. Fired a volley of 144 AMMs at a planet to test their capability of planetary defence - and they shot down ALL of them in ONE blast of some kind of beam weapon... . Need to get a bigger fleet over there... .

Once you've triggered their STOs to fire, you should be able to target them with longer-ranged beam weapons. Probably easier than just sending more missiles downrange.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2021, 05:00:19 AM »
Once you've triggered their STOs to fire, you should be able to target them with longer-ranged beam weapons. Probably easier than just sending more missiles downrange.
Yeah, I had hoped something like that would appear. They do have two ships in orbit (well, bases to be exact), which seem to shoot down all of my missiles. And the sensors didn't pick up any planet based STO... .

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:16 AM »
Yeah, I had hoped something like that would appear. They do have two ships in orbit (well, bases to be exact), which seem to shoot down all of my missiles. And the sensors didn't pick up any planet based STO... .

In this case lasers are your friend. Or particles beams. Or any railguns over 60k range. Basically anything that isn't a missile and keeps you out of range of their PD guns.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
 :o :o Oh no, what did my terraformers do...  :o :o

Is that the end of space travel as we know it?  :'(

;D

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Warer