Author Topic: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition  (Read 74405 times)

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »
Huh, enemies using microwave beams? Interesting.

I wonder if this is actually a mobile enemy instead of STO weapons, since I can't think why STO would have spared the survey but mobile units might have been somewhere else.

Could it be raiders?

Raiders are not active for 2.2.1, but you are right that this is a mobile enemy. I had originally thought that it might have been an NPR colonizing after my geo survey, since it had been probably around a decade, but when I sent a frigate squadron to the site with active sensors on, they saw nothing. It's kinda freaky, actually. Almost like a ghost. And I don't know if they are still lurking somewhere else in the system or if they are already gone  :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 12:32:59 PM by smoelf »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »
Since the next patch is a DB update and this was meant as a test game anyways, I may as well share this really great galaxy I had in my 2.2.1 test game.

Notably there is a group of nine systems which constitute an incredible four loops in the jump point network, which is something I haven't seen before - my 1.12 Duranium Legion game had two nested loops and I thought that was impressive but this takes the cake! It gets better, the jump point out of Epsilon Horologii leading off the top of the map is a dormant jump point into NPR territory, that's five dormant jump points in 36 systems, really 26 since I haven't explored the JPs in about ten systems.

It's a shame to abandon this map but now it is onward to 2.3, if nothing else we must continue to contribute bug reports for Steve to ensure that we have a stable game version for AAR projects taking advantage of all the new missile and EW changes!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, Snoman314, lumporr

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #407 on: December 03, 2023, 05:26:28 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing so many dead ends in a known stars system map. There are essentially three strands of exploration available, all of which lead back for a circular core that can be shut off from the 'outside'. There is still a chance for new jump points to lead back into the galactic core, so patrols still need to be set up to prevent surprises.

After more than one and a half decade of exploration, focus must shift to expansion and exploitation. Small steps have been taken at first to establish a presence in nearby systems, but current plans will eventually lead to the establishing of two sector. One in Sol and one in 56 Cassiopeiae. With the exception of corundium and boronide, each sector is capable of being entirely self sufficient with minerals, but there are high hopes that the system of 7 Centauri will be the saviour. So far, only half of the system's bodies has been surveyed in an already very mineral rich system. However, its sheer size makes it impossible to continue further geological ventures until a lagrange point has been stabilized in the inner system. A construction is currently working its way across the core, so for now the colonizing efforts are centered around the Sol sector until further notice.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #408 on: December 03, 2023, 08:57:48 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing so many dead ends in a known stars system map. There are essentially three strands of exploration available, all of which lead back for a circular core that can be shut off from the 'outside'. There is still a chance for new jump points to lead back into the galactic core, so patrols still need to be set up to prevent surprises.

I've also noticed an uptick in dead-ends which were less common in 2.1. I think Steve made some revisions to the code that tries to prevent players from being locked in a galaxy with no jump points, which was previously messing with the galaxy map generation, so in 2.2+ it has been much more robust and fun.  ;D

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2023, 03:07:43 PM »
Is this what a smorgasbord look like?

Somehow I don't think it was a good idea to leave a transit system undefended 😅

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2023, 03:17:19 PM »
In about five seconds this is going to be what performance improvement looks like from all those civvies not clogging up the pathfinding anymore.  :P

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #411 on: December 10, 2023, 03:21:11 PM »
In about five seconds this is going to be what performance improvement looks like from all those civvies not clogging up the pathfinding anymore.  :P

Always look on the bright side ;)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2023, 03:28:57 PM »

Always look on the bright side ;)

Monty Python taught us well  ;)

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #413 on: December 11, 2023, 02:33:15 AM »
What an oddly sized comet. . . . .

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #414 on: December 11, 2023, 02:40:42 AM »
What an oddly sized comet. . . . .
Captured rogue planet maybe?

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #415 on: December 11, 2023, 03:18:35 AM »
Quote from: Ulzgoroth link=topic=11100. msg166982#msg166982 date=1702284042
Quote from: BAGrimm link=topic=11100. msg166980#msg166980 date=1702283595
What an oddly sized comet.  .  .  .  .

That would be as good an explanation as any.  I think I'll go with it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #416 on: December 11, 2023, 04:17:18 AM »
Quote from: Ulzgoroth link=topic=11100. msg166982#msg166982 date=1702284042
Quote from: BAGrimm link=topic=11100. msg166980#msg166980 date=1702283595
What an oddly sized comet.  .  .  .  .

That would be as good an explanation as any.  I think I'll go with it.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Comets have a very small chance to be planet-sized.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, BAGrimm, BigBacon, StarshipCactus

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #417 on: December 12, 2023, 02:46:22 AM »
So, I just dropped 200,000 tons of troops onto about 60,000 tons of ground forces, my forces being a 50/50 mix of PA infantry and medium tanks. They got shredded to pieces. The enemy infantry's armor is 15, whereas my infantry guns are only penetration 6. The enemy has like 1,200 machine gun infantry. Not sure if I should make heavy armor infantry (so my armor would be 16 instead of 12 vs enemy AP of 10) or abandon infantry and go for entirely heavy tanks, since the enemy only has around 100 tanks on the planet. I only killed about 100 infantry and 10 tanks in exchange for loosing 10,000 infantry and 672 tanks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:53:18 AM by captainwolfer »

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #418 on: December 12, 2023, 04:45:15 AM »
After many years alone with the Raiders, my explorers finally stumbled into somebody else's jumpgate chain. The happy friendly Hydralisk of the Windorah Empire seem to be running a chain of outposts one way down the path. The other, though, has a completely different set of aliens who don't talk and seem to be hanging around a planet with too little signature to be a serious colony, and attack my scouts that come too close with heavy but seeminly not too technically superior ASM.

Both directions have raider wrecks, but the second also has a multitude of large unidentified wrecks. Perhaps they've been killing the Windorah? I can't tell yet.
So, I just dropped 200,000 tons of troops onto about 60,000 tons of ground forces, my forces being a 50/50 mix of PA infantry and medium tanks. They got shredded to pieces. The enemy infantry's armor is 15, whereas my infantry guns are only penetration 6. The enemy has like 1,200 machine gun infantry. Not sure if I should make heavy armor infantry (so my armor would be 16 instead of 12 vs enemy AP of 10) or abandon infantry and go for entirely heavy tanks, since the enemy only has around 100 tanks on the planet. I only killed about 100 infantry and 10 tanks in exchange for loosing 10,000 infantry and 672 tanks
Wouldn't those 10,000 infantry only be 30,000 tons? It sounds like they were using PWL...

If the terrain is viable for armor, a bunch of medium or heavy vehicles with HCAP and probably HAV seems appropriate.

Remember that planetary defenders will be entrenched, likely to the maximum possible for their type, while your attack force won't.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #419 on: December 12, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »
Your sensors also tend to underestimate the strength of ground forces based on how dug in they are , It seems likely there were nearer 200,000 tons of enemy troops of higher tech level so 1-1 odds vs entrenched troops with better weapons and armour, I supect you needed at least 600,000 tons of your troops