Author Topic: Aurora Government Simulator  (Read 14095 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Aurora Government Simulator
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »
Small problem:
At the place of Required Police power (MN4) There is justly "Regulated or above". Nothing dependent on government type.

Here's the fix:
Code: [Select]
=IF(D4="Republic";"Regulated or above";IF(D4="Democracy";"Bound by Law";IF(D4="Federation";"Regulated or below";IF(D4="Corporate";"Internal Affairs";IF(D4="Totalitarian";"Unlimited";IF(D4="Monarchy";"Regulated or above";0))))))
I also found a little error in Required Justice system (MN5). At monarchy it said "State controlled or below", when in practice it requires State controlled or above, so i fixed it as well:
Code: [Select]
=IF(D4="Republic";"State Controlled or above";IF(D4="Democracy";"Independent";IF(D4="Federation";"State Controlled or below";IF(D4="Corporate";"State Controlled";IF(D4="Totalitarian";"Martial Court or below";IF(D4="Monarchy";"State Controlled or above";0))))))

Thanks, the first fix was included already a couple of posts above and on main topic. I will double check on the 2nd as I have a different file now with a few balance fixes now and there, so I may came across this already. Eventually' I will add to the main page.

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
Thanks, the first fix was included already a couple of posts above and on main topic.
I really should have checked more posts than the first one before posting :p

Offline Falryx

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 11:54:34 AM »
Hey there.    First - thank you for putting this together.    It's been fun to play with (and occasionally frustrating as voters make some really interesting decisions!)

I don't know why it took me this long to realize this, but for people running for office there are 7 potential parties (Federalists, Pacifists, Trade, Nationalists, Militarists, Democrats, Republicans), but only 5 parties are represented in the legislature (Federalists, Pacifists, Trade, Nationalists, Militarists). 

Is this intentional?

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2023, 02:23:05 PM »
Hey there.    First - thank you for putting this together.    It's been fun to play with (and occasionally frustrating as voters make some really interesting decisions!)

I don't know why it took me this long to realize this, but for people running for office there are 7 potential parties (Federalists, Pacifists, Trade, Nationalists, Militarists, Democrats, Republicans), but only 5 parties are represented in the legislature (Federalists, Pacifists, Trade, Nationalists, Militarists). 

Is this intentional?

Thanks for enjoying the file and thanks for your text!

Yes, it is intentional as Democrats and Republicans will give different appeals to multiple groups of people (in a lower %) rather than a significant boost in % on the single ones. For role-play, you may use Democrats and Republicans only when they are represented as macro groups in parliament with the proper form or to create a change in the status quo. For instance, a monarch could be challenged by a Democrat or a Republican which may ask, once in power, for a change of government more in line with their ideals.

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 10:55:05 PM »
Noticed a bug where terrorist attacks were 'succeeding' but returning an error for the target. Digging into the second page, I found the problem was that my Federation Separatists were reading the target from the Totalitarian government's rebellion target line. This seems to be the case for every government type above Totalitarian on the sheet, which is most of them.

It's a simple fix - just change the E374 in the formula of the cell labeled "DAMAGE" to E"whatever row the cell is in" to make it read the target line for that government. Figured I'd report it in case anybody else stumbled across this behavior, or in case an update is ever made.

I've really enjoyed the extra texture this adds - it's nice to step back every few years and match up notable figures with parties. Even just considering how the party in power will change how things are run is neat even without the voting bits. Also a lot of fun when the party that held power for the first three election cycles lost to electoral fraud, but had pushed their agenda hard enough with legislation that the rebellion that lead me to post this was set off. The new guy had to manage low-odds defense of the Constitution to tamp down on the opposition while dealing with infrastructure and banks blowing up over the nascent colonies of my conventional start.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 12:47:49 AM »
Noticed a bug where terrorist attacks were 'succeeding' but returning an error for the target. Digging into the second page, I found the problem was that my Federation Separatists were reading the target from the Totalitarian government's rebellion target line. This seems to be the case for every government type above Totalitarian on the sheet, which is most of them.

It's a simple fix - just change the E374 in the formula of the cell labeled "DAMAGE" to E"whatever row the cell is in" to make it read the target line for that government. Figured I'd report it in case anybody else stumbled across this behavior, or in case an update is ever made.

I've really enjoyed the extra texture this adds - it's nice to step back every few years and match up notable figures with parties. Even just considering how the party in power will change how things are run is neat even without the voting bits. Also a lot of fun when the party that held power for the first three election cycles lost to electoral fraud, but had pushed their agenda hard enough with legislation that the rebellion that lead me to post this was set off. The new guy had to manage low-odds defense of the Constitution to tamp down on the opposition while dealing with infrastructure and banks blowing up over the nascent colonies of my conventional start.

Thanks, after looking into this, I realized that the issue is slightly different. What is happening is that to avoid the 0 appearing I leave a blank space " " so that the UI remains clean. This happens when the rebels have no chance to attack. and cells in the B column have an N as a result of the rebellion checklist. The second checklist is the government form which should be matching as well. So the file itself doesn't have any error and the VALUE return you get is not relevant as long as it doesn't appear in the main UI.

Now, for gameplay purposes, you could decide to activate the rebels by keeping them always ON. To do that you need to implement the following:

B241 = change value to Y
B269 = change value to Y
B305 = change value to Y
B336 = change value to Y
B374 = change value to Y
B412 = change value to Y

After that, you need to identify a minimum amount of chance to rebel. I would recommend for that to be set between 1% and 10%, depending on your preferences. You could even set different values as perhaps a Republic may have slightly lesser organic rebels than a Totalitarian State or such. The formula to edit is in the following cells and you looking to add a value in the blank setup " ".

D241 " " change to X where X is your preferred number
D269 " " change to X where X is your preferred number
D305 " " change to X where X is your preferred number
D336 " " change to X where X is your preferred number
D374 " " change to X where X is your preferred number
D412 " " change to X where X is your preferred number

I.E. =IF(B241="Y",MIN(((G156+C156)/H156)+I71,100%)," ")

will become

=IF(B241="Y",MIN(((G156+C156)/H156)+I71,100%),0.01)

The above leaves a 1% minimum chance of rebellion in the Republic Government. Please note that the value is numerical but indicates percentages, therefore 1% will be 0.01, and so on

This could be a valuable addition, and as I am planning to release a new version once 2.2 comes out, I will keep it in mind as I think this amount could be set the same as the amount of unrest. I have been trying to refurbish the unrest for a long time and I think this could be a very possible scenario. The other part I am implementing is a more differentiated population where age groups do care for different values or benefits, I am just struggling with making it dynamic without too much intervention from the player.

Thanks again.  :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:31:28 PM by Froggiest1982 »