Author Topic: The Kingdom of Avalon - Comments Thread  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Gyrfalcon (OP)

• Commander
  • G
The Kingdom of Avalon - Comments Thread
« on: October 10, 2022, 01:34:02 PM »
Well, I couldn't hold off on the idea - now watch Steve go ahead and drop the next big patch in the next week. That said, this is going to be slightly less ambitious then Terra Invictus (no early game ground combat) and slightly more focused on the space side of things. I hope that you enjoy the story to come.

The following users thanked this post: rainyday

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
Re: The Kingdom of Avalon - Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 02:25:13 PM »
This theme is awesome. Now I kind of need a full King Arthur retelling set in the BattleTech universe with mechs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:29:48 PM by rainyday »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 09:31:44 PM »
Yet the Ancients were strong, and it seemed that it was an age that would last forever. But then the Cataclysm came. The Gates were abruptly shut, and could not be reopened. Earth was dependent on its daughter colonies and could no longer survive without them.

oh god it's contagious

King Arthur did not live to see his dream of uniting the world fulfilled, but his eldest daughter would ascend as Queen of Avalon. Queen Guinevak would unite the last holdouts in the world-spanning Kingdom, once more making true the old claim of the British that the sun never set upon the Kingdom.

It used to be that every Aurora AAR inevitably became Warhammer, now it seems every Aurora AAR inevitably becomes British imperialism. So really nothing has changed then.

Interesting concept here, I'm curious to see how much interest will be derived from Yet Another Conventional Start AAR™ with this roleplay setting.

Offline Gyrfalcon (OP)

• Commander
  • G
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 12:18:21 AM »
It used to be that every Aurora AAR inevitably became Warhammer, now it seems every Aurora AAR inevitably becomes British imperialism. So really nothing has changed then.

Mostly in the ratio of grimdark/grimderp in the setting. I didn't want to rehash Romans in Space! yet, so here we are.

Interesting concept here, I'm curious to see how much interest will be derived from Yet Another Conventional Start AAR™ with this roleplay setting.

The initial years are going to go by quickly, but I just can't rationalize regular starts to myself - why would a civilization build an entire navy and keep it in orbit without surveying and starting to exploit their home system in the meantime?

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 01:51:53 AM »
What an interresting starting scenario! I hope the kingdom of Avalon can manage to survive the inevitable assault of Space Saxons  ;D
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:09:03 AM »
I do like this concept and I agree that the idea of a fully formed battlefleet being built and then just floating around can be hard to RP. You do need some kind of prompt for it, like "The Ancients" or a violently destroyed ruin in the solar system. I look forward to the Knights of Avalon building the New Camelot in the stars.

It used to be that every Aurora AAR inevitably became Warhammer, now it seems every Aurora AAR inevitably becomes British imperialism.
There definitely has been positive progress on this front.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 07:25:46 AM »
The initial years are going to go by quickly, but I just can't rationalize regular starts to myself - why would a civilization build an entire navy and keep it in orbit without surveying and starting to exploit their home system in the meantime?

For this reason I usually start with the home system surveyed in a full-bore TN start. This and often some SM changes to make the home system a bit more exciting.

There definitely has been positive progress on this front.

It is progress but we need not be too hasty about assigning a plus or minus sign to it.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 10:40:05 PM »
Very interesting background for the campaign! Looking forward to more.

Offline Gyrfalcon (OP)

• Commander
  • G
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
So! Only a few more things to figure out and then time can start incrementing - mostly once I've figured out my ground unit designs (mostly done) and formations. And made sure that an Academy Commandant is assigned. And there are probably a few other tasks on my plate.

The biggest hurdle to starting an Aurora game for me is the preparation. There are so many background tasks that need to be assigned, configured, built, modified, etc. before you can properly jump into playing.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 01:15:43 PM »
Code: [Select]
Broadsword class Gunship (P)      3,997 tons

The worst part is the abject refusal to put a few more fuel storages on this so it would be a nice, round tonnage, instead we have his utter atrocity albeit it will probably work okay I guess.

Eventually, the debate was solved by dividing them by size - weapons smaller than 10t in displacement were missiles, while anything larger was a torpedo. It was a solution that pleased no one, which probably meant that it was the best solution possible.

This is clearly unassailable logic.

Nomenclature aside, all of these missile or torpedo designs are of course horrifying and atrocious, as is only fitting for the conventional era of gameplay.

Hopefully those maintenance facilities will go up sooner than later, otherwise our shiny new navy will immediately fall apart.

The following users thanked this post: rainyday

Offline Gyrfalcon (OP)

• Commander
  • G
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 02:21:05 PM »
The initial designs are there to highlight how much better TN designs are - and because with a high xenophobia score, the Kingdom wants to be able to defend itself.

It also gives them practical building experience for the next designs.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »
The initial designs are there to highlight how much better TN designs are

You heard it here first, folks, round tonnage is a TN technology!  :P

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 03:19:01 PM »
King Eliwlod was an old man, and in poor health. It was well known that he was transferring more and more of his duties and responsibilities to his son, Crown Prince Kyduan
It appears Avalon still practices the ancient naming system - drop the baby on the keyboard and write down whatever appears on screen.

The naming schemes for the weapons just about makes sense (still not sure on Avalon using the name of ancient oriental swords) but why then call the gunship Broadsword when the missiles are all named after swords. Perhaps it is a cunning plan to confuse the enemy?

In any event the catfish bomber is a bold choice. Even if one chose to use fish for light aether craft there are surely better choices before one gets to that? Off the top of my head one has the Swordfish, Shark, Orca, Sarcastic Fringehead, Bastard Mullet.

Lord Gringgolet Brinon was assigned as the Governor of Earth
There was very little else you could do with someone who had such an extraordinary name.

Hopefully those maintenance facilities will go up sooner than later, otherwise our shiny new navy will immediately fall apart.
It may be for the best if the maintenance facilities aren't built and these designs are put out of their misery by exploding.

You heard it here first, folks, round tonnage is a TN technology!  :P
Newton famously despised round numbers. Possibly.

Offline Gyrfalcon (OP)

• Commander
  • G
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 01:23:03 AM »
It appears Avalon still practices the ancient naming system - drop the baby on the keyboard and write down whatever appears on screen.

You can blame ancient Arthurian Welsh legends for those. When I went looking for more names to add to the family tree, they contributed extensively.

Names of rulers were chosen by random number generator from the following lists:

Male names: Constantine, Madog, Gormant, Eliwlod, Kyduan, Amr, Gwydre, Llacheau, Duran, Loholt, Mordred, Aristes, Adeluf, Morgan, Patrick, Tom, Arthur, Uther

Female names: Gwyar, Eigyr, Gwenhwyfach, Guinevere, Eleirch, Morgan, Morgause, Elaine, Amy, Igraine, Hilde

The ruling line has followed this route:

Arthur (m) -> Guinevak (f) -> Eigyr (f) -> Llacheau (m) -> Morgan (f) -> Duran (m) -> Gwyar (f) -> Tom (m) -> Kyduan (m) -> Gormant (m) -> (current) Eliwlod (m)

Yes, there was a King Tom.

The naming schemes for the weapons just about makes sense (still not sure on Avalon using the name of ancient oriental swords) but why then call the gunship Broadsword when the missiles are all named after swords. Perhaps it is a cunning plan to confuse the enemy?

Ship names will be changed to match the lead ship of the class, which is why its initially project BROADSWORD, as that isn't the final name for the ship.

The Kingdom is inclusive of the mythology and history of all its subjects, and won't force an exclusively English/French culture on its subjects.

In any event the catfish bomber is a bold choice. Even if one chose to use fish for light aether craft there are surely better choices before one gets to that? Off the top of my head one has the Swordfish, Shark, Orca, Sarcastic Fringehead, Bastard Mullet.

Blame Steve for including the humble Catfish in the carnivorous fish naming scheme, and the random number generator for selecting it.

In universe, the reason for the name is because the B-1/A is so ugly only its builders can love it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 11:25:14 AM »
The Royal Army Reactivated

Infantry Regiment
Transport Size: 14,967 tons

I am pleased to finally see ground forces of a proper size have become increasingly standard since the 2.0 release, at least in AARs.

Reconquista class Troop Transport (P)      45,900 tons

This is an incredibly frightening design, notably you've got only 15,000 tons of troop capacity and 8,750 tons of engines, and yet somehow have a >45,000-ton ship. Truly the conventional-era ship modules are a fright to behold.

Someone in the Ship Bureau sneakily added a few small fuel tanks to round its tonnage to the nearest hundred tons.

Excellent, promote this person immediately.

Medium Regimental Combat Team
[...]
42x WSP-1 Wasp
24x TR-A-1 Toro
18x FRB-1E Firebee
48x ICR-1X Icarus
24x KY2-D-01 Kyudo
24x NH-1A Rook

In a shocking twist we have left Warhammer and veered into the neighboring universe of BattleTech. This can only mean good things and/or Michael A. Stackpole things, which shall it be? More importantly, when will Davion Avalon run up against Steiner Teutonica and be smashed aside by invincible heavy armor somehow pull out a win by sheer narrative contrivance?

Now that the TN era has begun hopefully it will not take the Kingdom too long to get up to some excitement. Ideally of the shooting and smashing varieties I think.