Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 273150 times)

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
I would like to suggest a conventional+ start for Players and for player generated NPR's. This start would begin like any other conventional game with a 2 differences.

1. Trans-Newtonian Technology (TNT) is completed.
2. A Legacy Army is generated. This is just like a legacy fleet in RTW or like the troops you started with in VB6, with the option to build it yourself or not.

The early game armor tech is unfortunately useless in my honest opinion. In a conventional game any rational person would take the short time while they wait for TNT to finish to complete the conventional armor techs and then immediately research Duranium armor after TNT is completed so they can make massive weight savings on any new ship they build.
Also, any conventional start requires that you don't have an NPR present in your starting system as you are likely to get creamed if they decided to pick a fight thanks to the new minimum tech requirements for NPR. So, if you want to have a NPR in your starting system you have to start Trans-Newtonian, this means you would never even see those conventional armor techs.

What implementing this would do is actually allow you to use the early game armor tech, and build the "Trans-Newtonian upgrade" to conventional troops that you mentioned and showed everyone in your dev log. How? Because you could have an NPR either on Earth to fight for control of the planet, forcing a scenario where someone has to leave the planet to survive or make a tense but short peace for the new interplanetary empires, or you could have a NPR on the nearby planets to facilitate building a military to protect your borders. What these would do, in short, is allow you to make important early game military and economic decisions that would impact you throughout the mid and even late game.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
I think with the new system the number of installations in ruins could probably do with a lookover, since as far as I can tell they're always recovered instead of sometimes being lost, and the new ground forces system makes it easy to excavate them fast with pure construction formations.

In my current game I found ruins one jump from Sol with 1993 recoverable installations and recovering 2-4 of them a week along with bountiful tech has been doing crazy things to my economy.

The following users thanked this post: Earthrise

Offline RaidersOfTheVerge

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
Plot projections

System map
A check box in the contacts section with toggle on/off

The current course of all visible ships moving under their own power (not those orbiting bodies) would be projected into the future based on current course and speed.  The line should be a different color.  At intervals determined by sub-pulse length, with a minimum that makes sense based on the scale of the display, tick marks could appear to indicate the fleet's position at that many intervals in the future.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
I would like to suggest a conventional+ start for Players and for player generated NPR's. This start would begin like any other conventional game with a 2 differences.

2. A Legacy Army is generated. This is just like a legacy fleet in RTW or like the troops you started with in VB6, with the option to build it yourself or not.

The early game armor tech is unfortunately useless in my honest opinion. In a conventional game any rational person would take the short time while they wait for TNT to finish to complete the conventional armor techs and then immediately research Duranium armor after TNT is completed so they can make massive weight savings on any new ship they build.
Also, any conventional start requires that you don't have an NPR present in your starting system as you are likely to get creamed if they decided to pick a fight thanks to the new minimum tech requirements for NPR. So, if you want to have a NPR in your starting system you have to start Trans-Newtonian, this means you would never even see those conventional armor techs.

What implementing this would do is actually allow you to use the early game armor tech, and build the "Trans-Newtonian upgrade" to conventional troops that you mentioned and showed everyone in your dev log. How? Because you could have an NPR either on Earth to fight for control of the planet, forcing a scenario where someone has to leave the planet to survive or make a tense but short peace for the new interplanetary empires, or you could have a NPR on the nearby planets to facilitate building a military to protect your borders. What these would do, in short, is allow you to make important early game military and economic decisions that would impact you throughout the mid and even late game.

Well, we specifically asked to have the new levels of armour below duranium added, so I for one would be pretty pissed if they were immediately taken away again.

Given that you can immediately award your empire Trans-Newtonian Tech with SpaceMaster, what's left of your suggestion is 'pre-made ground forces for conventional start games' which is functionally identical to the "ICBM bases" we used to get, so I suspect they are already on the list of "cosmetic and QoL features omitted from v1.0 so it would come out in April instead of August."  I look forward to them.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Alsadius

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »

Well, we specifically asked to have the new levels of armour below duranium added, so I for one would be pretty pissed if they were immediately taken away again.

Given that you can immediately award your empire Trans-Newtonian Tech with SpaceMaster, what's left of your suggestion is 'pre-made ground forces for conventional start games' which is functionally identical to the "ICBM bases" we used to get, so I suspect they are already on the list of "cosmetic and QoL features omitted from v1.0 so it would come out in April instead of August."  I look forward to them.

I'm not advocating for a removal of the conventional armor tech, I just want a situation in which it would actually become applicable. As I said, I find no instance in the current game where it is useful, and it seems better just to tech past it before you even build your first ship. I would like to have a situation where actually equipping your army, air force, or navy with the stuff would make sense.

As for the legacy army being like ICBM bases, I mean yes I can see that. And if Steve is looking at adding them later then that would be awesome. But I would like some possible modability with the conventional forces.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
As for the legacy army being like ICBM bases, I mean yes I can see that. And if Steve is looking at adding them later then that would be awesome. But I would like some possible modability with the conventional forces.

Building them yourself would be the "moddability" of conventional forces.

- - - - -

Have you tried creating a fully Trans-Newtonian empire with 0 reaserch points to see if it's closer to what you desire?

Offline Scud

• Petty Officer
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »

- - - - -

Have you tried creating a fully Trans-Newtonian empire with 0 reaserch points to see if it's closer to what you desire?

May I also suggest perhaps playing at a lower research speed. Some people much enjoy the slower pace enabling better usage of early tech.

The following users thanked this post: Kiks

Offline surprise

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2020, 10:45:53 PM »
It would be nice if you could insert a tech at the head of the scientist's research queue. I usually have all my labs split between scientists in most/all of the fields, and when I want to research a designed tech, I have to cancel and rebuild the whole queue or add the designed tech to the queue and bump it up until it's next in line.

I'd like to be able to say "work on this first, then go back to that other stuff"

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, db48x, Barkhorn, BAGrimm, skoormit

Offline Silverkeeper

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2020, 07:19:04 AM »
Naval Organization. Detach and Delete buttons are too close together. It should ask if you are sure before deleting.
There goes my new cargo ship.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, emchammer, JuergenSchT

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:30 AM »
(or have unfortunately-specialized scientists for their desires).
You can change that now (best feature ever).
Where can you do that?

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »
Haven't found an option to SM Add Maintenance to a ship. If there is none, could we have such a SM-button in the game?

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
(or have unfortunately-specialized scientists for their desires).
You can change that now (best feature ever).
Where can you do that?

Commanders window. Click the scientist, "Change Field" bottom-middle.

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »

- - - - -

So when I'm talking about the "moddability" of the legacy army I am talking about building it yourself. Rather then having a conventional start similar to VB6 where you get x amount of ICBM bases and x amount conventional forces and they will always be the same.

As for the trans-newtonian empire with 0 research, it doesn't fill that niche that I want. You already start with the conventional armor researched, and, like I said before, if you want to fight an NPR for control of the starting system/planet you can't start with no research as they will mop the floor with you because of their 100,000 research point minimum. It is also impossible to have a conventional NPR.

All together, if I really think about it, my suggestion would be fulfilled if player generated NPR's could start as conventional like the player, and if there was a legacy army as discussed before. There wouldn't need to be a whole other game start option if those two things could happen (the latter of which is already possibly coming into the game later).

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Kiks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »

- - - - -

May I also suggest perhaps playing at a lower research speed. Some people much enjoy the slower pace enabling better usage of early tech.

I don't think my issue lies with research speed, I believe that it stems from a lack of external issues that force me to stop and address them with the tech I have.
Though I do think a slower research speed would be interesting to try in the future. A slow research speed plus a starting system issue (sun cooling/heating) would make me want to use those early techs.
The only issue is it doesn't scratch that itch of low tech early fight for your starting system/planet as all NPR's start with 100,000 research points minimum.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
It would be nice to have "shore leave" order. Basically it should just make the ship stay in orbit until the deployment clock is zero.

This is kinda not needed as you could just put ship to overhaul and then it will stay long enough to reset deployment as well, but could be mb nice for RP.

Not sure if it would just clutter the order list for no real benefit tho :/

The following users thanked this post: db48x, BAGrimm, YABG